Thread: Eastman Setup and Other work.

Default Eastman Setup and Other work.

Hello:
    I was looking for some suggestions on luthiers to do some work on an Eastman 615 Mandolin. Maybe even by starting some conversations to make sure it is what I want to do and approach etc... For example, what I would like to do is

1) Add a pickup (I am thinking Fishman 200) Is this what I want or is there a better suggestion.

2) Scoop the Neck.

3) Setup for lighter strings.

At the very least, I would like to start conversations with someone interested and qualified to do the work.

Default Re: Eastman Setup and Other work.

it might be helpful if you provided a location.

Teacher, repair person

All of the jobs you listed would be routine work for any seasoned repair person. Hopefully, there is someone within driving distance of you who can handle the work, and there will be no need to ship the instrument.

You are welcome to pm me if you are near southeast Tennessee.

Good point. I am outside of Chicago. Although I could always ship as long as its US.

Thanks RCC56. I know I could probably google search someone. I just though I would try here first. If I google someone, I might find dozens of people who say they have done the work but here I am more likely to find someone who has done it and is good at it.

Teacher, repair person

The only info I can come up with from the Cafe's builder database that looks promising yields Dale Ludewig in DeKalb and Jim Worland, city unknown. Dale contributes to the forums from time to time.

I wish the Cafe's database was more flexible. There's no provision for repair people, and if you are a builder, no info is provided unless you have a webpage to link to.

A quick look at the luthier's search on Banjo Hangout yields 2 luthiers in Illinois, one in Rockford, the other in Springfield. Neither of them are known to me. To access their info, go to banjohangout.org, move your cursor over the "marketplace" button, and the luthier's search option will come up.

If you can't find anyone up there, I have room on the bench. But shipping is expensive these days.

Hey there Mandorider-

I'm in the SW Chicago burbs. I would call Dr. Woods Guitar Emporium in the Northern burbs, or Down Home Guitars in Frankfort, IL, a couple hours South of Chicago proper. I believe both of those places could handle the work you are looking at. There is also a couple shops in/around the city, Hogeye Music (Evanston I think) and maybe even the Old Town School of Folk Music.

Also, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "scoop the neck." Normally I'd guess you meant removing some of the wood on the Florida of the fretboard near where you pick, but the Eastmans don't have that. Another person who does superb setup/repair work is Andy Miller, who is in the Chicago area. He chimes in here from time to time.
    Last edited by rivervalleymando; May-19-2020 at 9:26pm. Reason: Add a thought