Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northfield is simply nailing it lately

Default Northfield is simply nailing it lately

this one at MusicEmporium(and in our classifieds)
    https://themusicemporium.com/mandoli...#&gid=1&pid=11

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nor-a5spbk-web-1.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	446.6 KB 
ID:	185906

Name:	nor-a5spbk-web-4.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	456.8 KB 
ID:	185907

Name:	nor-a5spbk-web-7.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	398.5 KB 
ID:	185908

Name:	nor-a5spbk-web-11.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	384.3 KB 
ID:	185909

I like a nice black top and the way the burst was added on sides and back is beautiful to my eyes. And if its anything like lately, I'm sure it plays and sounds fantastic.

Here's an F at Ave-I like the flame thruout and really drawn to the back-not flamed as much as some but it just looks really old.
    https://www.avenueguitars.com/collec...style-mandolin

Name:	NorthfieldNF-F5SBBlackTopF-StyleMandolin-SN-S200658-Image02_540x.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	185910

Name:	NorthfieldNF-F5SBBlackTopF-StyleMandolin-SN-S200658-Image08_540x.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	185911

Name:	NorthfieldNF-F5SBBlackTopF-StyleMandolin-SN-S200658-Image12_540x.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	185912

Name:	NorthfieldNF-F5SBBlackTopF-StyleMandolin-SN-S200658-Image11_540x.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	185913

The blondes they've been putting out of late are beautiful as well. TMS has had two blondes very recently that didn't last a day, a friend picked up one. NF is putting some really eye popping wood on these lower end models. And I think they are hitting an all time high on the tonal aspect as well.

here's a blonde F and A at TMS
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...cial-mandolin/

Name:	Northfield-A5-2.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	185914

Name:	Northfield-A5-4.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	185915

Name:	Northfield-A5-5.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	185916

and this Big Mon at TMS
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...ig-mon-blonde/

Name:	Big-Mon-Blonde-1.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	185917

Name:	Big-Mon-Blonde-4.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	185918

Name:	Big-Mon-Blonde-5.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	185919

Name:	Big-Mon-Blonde-3.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	185920
    d
    Last edited by darylcrisp; May-18-2020 at 5:16pm.

2. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Default Re: Northfield is simply nailing it lately

Those are stunning for sure!
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

The prices do reflect their product; pricey for an Asian import.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

They're pretty. I'll leave it at that...

6. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

I was just admiring that black A5 special. I’ve always liked the way Northfield does the pickguards on the black top models, and I really like the way they did this fretboard, too, with the beautiful wood pattern.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Agreed! And could not be run by a nicer bunch of folks. It's great to see them doing so well!

Agree Daryl, Ive had mine going on 5 years now and love it! Not sure why some insist on disparaging the shop because the facts are that its an American based company producing high quality instruments. I have a friend that bought an off the shelf mando from a very popular mid-west builder and she paid $2,000 more than I paid for my custom build. TEHO but if you're in the market for a nice mando don’t overlook Northfield. The F5S is one of the best values around...if you can find one.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigskygirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Agree Daryl, Ive had mine going on 5 years now and love it! Not sure why some insist on disparaging the shop because the facts are that its an American based company producing high quality instruments. I have a friend that bought an off the shelf mando from a very popular mid-west builder and she paid $2,000 more than I paid for my custom build. TEHO but if you're in the market for a nice mando don’t overlook Northfield. The F5S is one of the best values around...if you can find one.
    There is one in the classifieds now. NFI. There also seems to be a lot of the Big Mons used available.

Blog Entries

Northfield is not an Asian import company. It is not a business entity that solely purchases items from an external country and separate business entity and then resells in the U.S. for profit. The founders of the company are based in the U.S. and China. The employees in China are Northfield company owners and long-time employees, long-time friends of founder Adrian (in the U.S.) and highly skilled luthiers. Material and work is shared between the two. Wood is sourced in the U.S. and shipped for some models to China then sent back and final inspection, set-up, tweaking, if necessary, is performed in the U.S. A good part of the line is entirely made in Michigan as outlined in this feature article from 2018, Northfield Introduces Three New Michigan-Made Instruments. They are a very, very small organization and no other mandolin company is quite like them in that regard. Part of the U.S. based Calhoun production is intended in part to cater to a rapidly growing mandolin market in China, and when it breaks, it will be the biggest market on the planet simply due to the numbers.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

They do make some very nice mandolins. I've sampled many of them at Gryphon. Would love to try a Big Mon sometime. A's work better for me aesthetically, due to the very fragile looking, open scroll in the head stock of the F's (see the last picture of the The Big Mon series above). I do wish the Airloom Deluxe case would become available. it's been "coming soon" for over 6 months since I started checking on the website.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    I think the F5S is one of the sweet spots for Northfield. A great instrument at a great price. And they seem to be selling a ton of them. Northfield is so much more than simply an Asian knock-off company.
    NK Forster '23 Big Celtic - O
    Northfield F5S
    Weber Bitterroot F20-F Octave
    Home built F5 (1995)

16. The following members say thank you to Chris Calley for this post:

They really are beautiful instruments, Daryl, could you put the prices under each photo, thanks.

You can hear the black top Northfield here (I think).
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

19. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lavelle View Post
    They do make some very nice mandolins. I've sampled many of them at Gryphon. Would love to try a Big Mon sometime. A's work better for me aesthetically, due to the very fragile looking, open scroll in the head stock of the F's (see the last picture of the The Big Mon series above). I do wish the Airloom Deluxe case would become available. it's been "coming soon" for over 6 months since I started checking on the website.
    Not sure what's 'fragile' about a 1/2" thick piece of maple....

I wouldn't use it to hammer a nail, but frankly, it would probably work ok for that. Love my F5S like my children.

As for the comment above about Northfield being an Asian import, that's just flat wrong, as pointed out by the Admin. Very big difference between Northfield's model and Eastman's. Besides, who cares where a mandolin is made? If it plays and sounds like you want and the price is right, buy it and be happy.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Winn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    Besides, who cares where a mandolin is made? If it plays and sounds like you want and the price is right, buy it and be happy.
    It really is that simple, folks.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

23. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

I will say that prior to last summer I was a bit more skeptical (and uneducated) on Northfield.
    After going to Swannanoa Gathering and spending several hours talking to Adrian, I was sold on it. Definitely far removed from your stereotypical "made in China" type stuff. I got to play almost every model they make there at the table and all were fantastic and special in their own ways.
    I came away very impressed. I ordered my flat top octave shortly thereafter and have been very pleased with it.

If I wasn't a bit nervous about my company's stability over the rest of the year I'd be ordering a 4th gen today.
    BTW, I'm also a student in Mike Marshall's class and he plays his 4th gen every single day and let me tell you it sounds fantastic.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Very pretty mandolins!

26. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    The employees in China are Northfield company owners and long-time employees, long-time friends of founder Adrian (in the U.S.) They are a very, very small organization and no other mandolin company is quite like them in that regard.
    Fabulous to see them doing so well, couldn’t happen to a nicer guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lavelle View Post
    Steve,

I think the delay is probably compounded due to the virus and the shut downs all over the world. They could very well be just waiting at the factory where they make these for hardware or interior material that just hasn't come yet.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Nailing it lately? My 2014 NF-FS5 is pretty spectacular! I couldn't have picked a better first mandolin, and I am still inspired every time I play something on it.

30. The following members say thank you to SwartDeco for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Calley View Post
    I think the F5S is one of the sweet spots for Northfield. A great instrument at a great price. And they seem to be selling a ton of them. Northfield is so much more than simply an Asian knock-off company.
    Agree, in 2014 when I was looking for a upgrade from my Eastman 315 that I bought on a whim I wanted an F5S but there were none to be found so I spoke with Peter at NF and ordered my F5M (not a big mon). I love my NF but I’ll think those F5S’ are really a great mando at that price point.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    I will say that prior to last summer I was a bit more skeptical (and uneducated) on Northfield.
    After going to Swannanoa Gathering and spending several hours talking to Adrian, I was sold on it. Definitely far removed from your stereotypical "made in China" type stuff. I got to play almost every model they make there at the table and all were fantastic and special in their own ways.
    I came away very impressed. I ordered my flat top octave shortly thereafter and have been very pleased with it.

If I wasn't a bit nervous about my company's stability over the rest of the year I'd be ordering a 4th gen today.
    BTW, I'm also a student in Mike Marshall's class and he plays his 4th gen every single day and let me tell you it sounds fantastic.
    I have a bad case of Northfield 4th gen MAS, but unlikely to happen any time soon. At the same time thankful I have the N5S.
    NK Forster '23 Big Celtic - O
    Northfield F5S
    Weber Bitterroot F20-F Octave
    Home built F5 (1995)

A friend, who is a fine Nashville based picker bought a blonde F5S. We picked at a jam for 3 hours last night. Great sounding instrument picked by a guy who can really play. Was very impressed. Looking forward to getting him into my studio soon with his new treasure. In the past has played my Ellis in jams. In some ways, the F5S may fit his style more, pretty close to a toss up.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

[QUOTE=Kevin Winn;1771681]Not sure what's 'fragile' about a 1/2" thick piece of maple....

I used the words "fragile looking" to describe my aesthetic objection, not to criticize the build quality. I just like my scrolls wound tight.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

Smile Re: Northfield is simply nailing it lately

I've been handling all levels of mandolins for 50 years and the Big Mon I have is as good as it gets. I'm not saying better than things like a Paul Schneider custom Summit which I had which was also a fabulous mandolin. I'm just saying the Northfield Big Mon is equal to almost anything out there and I wouldn't take any F5 mandolin as a swap for it. I really mean that. It is faultless and delivers in every aspect bar none.

The only negative I have with any F style mandolin is that I would do away with the bottom point. I had an F4 made without one and it looks just as good but when I play sitting down, the point in a normal F style mandolin sticks in my leg. Just the way I hold it so I put a piece of foam underneath.