Thread: Mandola string heights?

Blog Entries

Default Mandola string heights?

Stringing my mandola "in white," need to know, please, what are the string heights at 1 and 12? Thanks.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Default Re: Mandola string heights?

Hi Brad, I'd shoot for .005 at the first fret (or lower if possible) and .050" (treble)- .070" (bass) at the 12th fret is where I'd start, with as little neck relief as possible. Assuming a "mandola" means 16-19" scale length.

The more algorithmic answer is, "get your bridge fitted, frets level, and nut cut, then make everything as low as possible without buzzing".

Blog Entries

Thanks, Marty. Just what I needed, when I needed it. I was starting to fit the bridge today.

Level and dress the top of all frets to remove any micro height variations. Put a capo on the first fret. Adjust the truss rod until you have approx. .007" relief at the 7th fret measure with a straight edge across the top of frets 1-14. Lower the bridge and play the mandola until things start buzzing. Raise bridge slightly until the buzzing disappears. Measure the bottom of string to top of fret gap under the second fret and the 13th; that gives you the lowest finished target goal. Remove the capo, add .004", and use those numbers as the starting basis for making the nut slot depths.....
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.