Thread: F5 peghead tuner holes a la Siminoff.

Default F5 peghead tuner holes a la Siminoff.

Hi folks, just got round to marking out the centres for the tuner holes, and referenced the Siminoff book. The tuners I have are the winder above post type, and so the the book on diagram 18 it shows the layout for the tuner holes, if using this type of tuner, whereas the rest of the book focuses on the other type of tuners.
    In measuring the diagram, so I could transfer the dimensions over to the peghead, I discovered that the tuner post centre markings are not symmetrical to the centreline of the peghead. They seem to follow the outside shape of the peghead, which is of course asymmetrical. This layout looks a little odd to me.
    Bearing in mind I've read about errors in the Siminoff book, is this one of them?
    I'd appreciate your thoughts, thanks.
    Mike

Default Re: F5 peghead tuner holes a la Siminoff.

The late Paul Hostetter's site has some interesting images of worm over vs worm under tuners on a Gibson F style headstock. It might give you a little information.

http://www.lutherie.net/mandolin.gear.direction.html
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks Mike, I've looked at the link and it is interesting and informative. It doesn't address my question , although it has given me the idea of just adapting the hole positions to suit my tuners. One thing I have noticed is that the very end of the tuning plate just goes into the curve around the nut area of the peghead. I think a little sanding might do the trick, to extend the flat part of the peghead rear. Hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by mikeyb2; May-17-2020 at 11:04am.

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb2 View Post
    . . . the idea of just adapting the hole positions to suit my tuners.
    And that's the best and most practical answer to your question.

5. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb2 View Post
    Thanks Mike, I've looked at the link and it is interesting and informative. It doesn't address my question , although it has given me the idea of just adapting the hole positions to suit my tuners. One thing I have noticed is that the very end of the tuning plate just goes into the curve around the nut area of the peghead. I think a little sanding might do the trick, to extend the flat part of the peghead rear. Hope this makes sense.
    As Bob mentioned, just adapting the hole positions to suit your tuners is probably the best answer.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Properly aligning the tuning machine holes is one of the most critical parts of any mandolin build; even people with very nice workshops and decades of experience still struggle with it. One of the best moves every beginner can make is to spend the $40 and get the Stew Mac tuner hole alingment and drilling jig. 'Problem solved, exceptional accuracy for a surprisingly modest price heirloom tool.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...drill-jig.html
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

8. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post: