Thread: COVID-19; great time to work on my right hand technique

Default COVID-19; great time to work on my right hand technique

Hi-

I'm a professional player, and would love to take this down time to work on my right hand technique. I tend to anchor it with my 4th and 5th fingers, and get a great tone (if I may be so bold), but think I could do better with speed if I didn't. I play classical violin, where any bad habits show up quickly when you play the repertoire. I'm also working on improving my right hand on pedal steel guitar, another instrument I taught myself. In that case there is a video by the great, late teacher Jeff Newman that is immensely helpful, even to pros (maybe especially). Are there are resources like that for right hand mandolin technique? I'm not interested in becoming Chris Thiele, but I would like to be able to throw down some 16th note triplets occasionally in a brisk tempo. I have the time to correct bad habits now. I doubt a book would be any help, but a video or online lesson would. Any ideas?

Default Re: COVID-19; great time to work on my right hand technique

My suggestion would be to reach out to Jake Howard, Ethan Setiawan, or Bryce Milano. All of them have put a tremendous amount of thought into their right hands, and also a large amount of thought into how to communicate on the subject. Also they are probably dealing with the same free time you are right now, so it would be an easier than usual time to try and connect.
    Mandolin Instructor
    Berklee College of Music

Listen to Joe. He’d know...

I should be pickin' rather than postin'

4. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

I notice you teach at Berklee. Of the three of them, which is the most gifted teacher? Correcting bad habits with old coot who has been playing for 48 years is no easy thing

Honestly it's hard to pick (ha! isn't that the root of this thread?): I have total faith in each of them. One thing comes to mind, though: Jake is in the midst of writing a very comprehensive book on right hand technique, based on interviews with many of the most prominent mandolin players. So it's a subject that is near and dear for him these days.
    Mandolin Instructor
    Berklee College of Music

Thanks, Joe, I'll reach out. Do you have a contact email, I'm not finding a website? If so, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by smashprod View Post
    Hi-

I tend to anchor it with my 4th and 5th fingers,
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic