Thread: looking for 2-point f-hole mandolin plans...

Default looking for 2-point f-hole mandolin plans...

Hi,

I'm gathering tools and materials to build my first mandolin. I'm not a huge fan of the traditional horn on an f-style mandolin and would prefer a two point. I can't seem to locate any plans.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Default Re: looking for 2-point f-hole mandolin plans...

Where do you want the points to be-symmetrical, offset one larger that the other? If you can build a mandolin from scratch you should be able to take a regular F blueprint and adjust it to your liking. There are lots of pictures of two point mandolins- pick one you like and draw it out. Everytime I see a picture of a mandolin I like I save it to my mando pictures folder for reference. If you have a pre-carved plate you can create your two point within the existing outline pretty easily too.
    Rob

You can take an f-style mandolin plan and mirror the shape to get a symmetrical two-or-three-pointed instrument. Other than that and the off-center neck joint some (better) f-style mandolin plans show, they can be identical.

Okay - thanks guys - I'll adjust the Siminoff plans accordingly. I prefer the symmetrical 2-point look.

You will have to decide what kind of headstock shape you want and you can be as creative as you like. I like the simplicity of the snake head on two pointers.
    -Newtonamic