Thread: Waverly for Doyle Lawson F-5

Default Waverly for Doyle Lawson F-5

I recently inherited my dad’s F-5. He was an engineer, and if anybody appreciated a well made gear, it was him. He was also a bit on the frugal side, and would never have dreamed of shelling out for the Waverly tuners.

As a sort of ironic tribute to him, I’d like to put a set on the F-5. To appease my tastes, I’m switching to nickel hardware. Does anybody know if they’re available anywhere? Stew Mac says 1+ months on availability.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Exclamation Re: Waverly for Doyle Lawson F-5

Stew Mac is the sole source, It's their company.. unless you find a retailer who has some on the shelf ,
    that they bought from Stew Mac, earlier..

Schaller's Grand Tune is another premium tuner set .. they may have more retail sellers..
    One: https://www.allparts.com/collections...-mandolin-keys ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Waverly for Doyle Lawson F-5

If you're looking for some superbly engineered and beautiful tuning machines, check out Alessi. Which are also not cheap!
    https://alessituningmachines.it/collection/mandolins/

4. The following members say thank you to stevojack665 for this post:

The Alessi tuners look interesting, but the archaic website is a little worrisome.

Are the Schaller Grandtunes only available in reverse? That’s a deal breaker if so. The mandolin I started off with had those, and I really hated them.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

If you want Waverly's wait for them. It took me years to finally pull the trigger on a set and now I have two sets in use, along with some on guitars and banjos.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Mike and I have a trade history with the Regular line of Schaller 'F' Tuners,
    so I can state that they cut the gears both ways..

Their design was such that backwards turning worm under were swappable to be worm over turning in the 'normal direction'..

My backwards tuners became his worm over F style.. when I got a set machined the other way..
    bonus point they put pieces of real MOP in the mold they cast the plastic button within.. those clever folks..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

9. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Let me double check here:

You inherited a kick a$$ ten thousand dollar mandolin (the advertised new price at the Mandolin Store online) for free and you are having reservations about spending a few hundred $$$ for a nice set of tuning machines that you've always dreamed about and might take a month to arrive?
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

No reservations, quite the opposite, actually. My question was about finding a set now, and not having to wait a month to do it. I’m waiting on a set to be in stock, and spending that time deciding what color I want, and also trying to play the frets off of it.

I’m also reading up on other tuners. Stew-Mac products tend to be pretty good, but also a bit on the overly expensive side. My goal is to get the best tuners I possibly can. If that’s the $600 set from Stew-Mac, cool. If not, that’s cool too.

12. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Once you get into that class of machines, they are all pretty fantastic. It mainly depends upon the style you like. Waverly are exceptional quality. I've been using Alessi exclusively for about ten years on all of my builds. They are the same level of quality with different aesthetics, and for me a bonus is that he and I have that common bond of both our families being from northern Italy. They are a custom build so you have to wait a few months for delivery, but he'll make them in any combination of design, hand engraving, and button material I can dream up which is important for custom builders. That is the limitation for me personally with Waverly: I can't call them up and ask for a custom engraving and then add ziricote buttons to match the ribs or the like. He speaks good English and can communicate well, but is a one man shop that likes being in the shop, not building fancy websites or such. Good luck with your search.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	condino brazilian rosewood mandolin #2 182.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	186700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alessi 27 F4 2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	186701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010066.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	186702  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010027.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	186703  
    www.condino.com

14. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Are they in the same ballpark price wise as Waverly?

I apologize if the comment about the website came off as offensive. I’m used to dealing with electric guitar companies like Dunlop that certainly aren’t one man operations.

If you don't go crazy with custom engraving options and things that add a lot of bench time, they are usually $100- $150 less than Waverly- maybe around $350. It depends upon what the current exchange rate is, so it can vary. Occasionally a strong economic disruptor causes a wild shift and gets them in the high $200 range for a brief time. The custom options are his strong point and at times he can get backordered.
    www.condino.com