Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do you like the picks you like?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why do you like the picks you like?

I like a thicker pick with rounded corners. Dunlop Primetone Sculpted Plectra 1.5 is the very affordable version of the Blue Chip SR60 with rounded bevel I also have with same demensions. But the Dunlop’s function close to just as well! Deeper, louder attack, while releasing the strings easily are a few of the reasons. I have a Chris Thile B.C. version as well, which I use less but still enjoy from time to time.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I tried a lot of picks while I was playing my mandolin in the shop before buying it. They had the usual rack of maybe 30-40 different ones and a stand that had a handful is sealed packets for a much higher price. I asked about one of those and the shop guy let me try the “demo” one... a large triangular pick with three different points that tapered to three different thicknesses. That thing stuck to my hand like glue, had enough size to get a sturdy but flexible grip, and low pick noise that let the sound just explode out. The guy gave me a new one as a bonus when I bought the mandolin. When we got home and started reading the packaging we found out it is actually real tortoiseshell made by a company here called Madura. They ain’t cheap though... I want to say they are about $40 a pick.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BearMakingNoises For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I use Wegen, Red Bear and D'Addario's Chris Thile pick. They were not sold at any retail stores in Tokyo.
    Wegen was bought at an online shop in Japan. I bought the others from the United States.
    2021 Acoustic World (Takeshi Iwamoto) A5 Black face
    2018 Gibson F5 Fern

5. The following members say thank you to Kykym for this post:

I agree that the player is 90% of tone. However, players have individual preference on shape, thickness, and material. My preference is a triangle, 1.4 or 1.5mm, and d'Andrea ProPlec brown or a Dawg. I've tried the pick samplers a couple of times and finally settled on the aforementioned two. Of course, each new instrument requires a search for the perfect pick for that particular instrument!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kykym View Post
    I use Wegen, Red Bear and D'Addario's Chris Thile pick. They were not sold at any retail stores in Tokyo.
    Wegen was bought at an online shop in Japan. I bought the others from the United States.
    Kykym, How do you like the Chris Thile pick from D'Addario? I have been toying with the idea of purchasing one with a gift card I received from the kids for my 65th!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    I spent the first few years I played mandolin obsessing over different picks. After a year or so break, I just got back into it, and I'm just playing instead of deliberating stuff like that. I got 2 BlueChip TAD60 1-Rs, a TPR-60, and a TAD80 (which I'd lent him after his stroke) with my dad's mandolins, so that's what I'm using.

I love BlueChip because they don't wear out, I can get a killer tone from anything with them, and most importantly, they don't move around when I'm playing.
    I’m going to revise this a little.

I keep a tin with some BlueChips, a Red Bear, a Wegen, and a D’Andrea Pro Plec in my case. They’re all similar size and thickness, but I’ll swap around until one sounds better than the others. They all feel good in my hand and on the strings, but sound a little different.

There are also a few of the picks that shall not be named in my case, but all the above mentioned stuff sounds and works better.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4