Thread: questions about a neck build

Default questions about a neck build

this is two fold.. I have done 5 mandos, but when it comes time for the truss channel, I have gotten it done, but always seems a bit harder then it should be.I would like to try a table saw, two passes seems easy., but is it correct to say the rod is just a bit deeper at the heel? If so, I was thinking of taping a shim at the difference in height I need, so the cut would climb as it came towards the neck, suggestions? and also I know it may be tradition, but do any of you use a different hardwood for the center strip then ebony? thanks
    Mike Marrs

Default Re: questions about a neck build

A wedge would work fine to create a taper. As far as the strip goes, ebony provides a very high color contrast, that seems to be the goal. Walnut is another choice.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I have always used walnut for the center strip for the 3pc and even 5pc neck.. never had a problem.. as for cutting the channel with a table saw: set the saw blade depth at 5/8 , take a 1/8 piece scrap and tack glue at the nut location .. then make the cut after a couple of moments... don't let glue set up too long.. it will tap off easily.. you get a nice taper 5/8 at heel and 1/2 at nut..
    kterry

Why not use double stick tape to hold the 1/8” scrap in place. Easy on easy off and no glue residue to deal with.

Buckhorn, thank you so much , was just what I was looking for, and am considering a 5 piece neck on this one. Before I retired , I installed carpet for 35 years, so had an abundance of double face tape, left. I use it for a lot of thigs

I install my mando rods deeper at the heel by shimming. I use 2 shims, one to each side of the path of the saw so that the saw doesn't knock the shim off cutting through. I use a spot of superglue to apply each shims. When I'm done with the cut a tap with a hammer pops the shims right off.
    I use spruce for filler sticks (one-piece necks). It has the highest stiffness to weight ratio of any common wood, so it is a way for me to make necks lighter without sacrificing any more stiffness than necessary. Any good quality wood will work.