Thread: Looking For Several Genres Of Mandolin

Smile Looking For Several Genres Of Mandolin

I'm looking to acquire a few different sources of mandolin music which include audio versions of the songs for reference, preferably with tablature but at least with chords. I'm looking for Celtic, Renaissance, Medieval, Swing and possibly some older Classical as well that's not too difficult as Classical can tend to be. I'm also looking for solo mandolin arrangements.

I just purchased this but I haven't had a chance to really look at it yet:
    Celtic World Music Collection by Brent Robitaille

I also really want music for Amazing Grace that is not the super simple versions that you see online. The mandolin that is in this video is what I would love to have music for, I love the way that he plays it or something close to it. His performance is really highlighted beginning at 1:20

Any comments what are suggestions would be appreciated thank you!
    Morris A4
    Morgan Monroe MMS-5W
    Fiddlerman Concert Violin

Default Re: Looking For Several Genres Of Mandolin

Beautiful indeed - but that's also Chris Thile (one of the greatest players of all time) playing his Loar (one of the greatest mandolins of all time) with Doc Watson (one of the greatest flatpickers of all time). Just a knockout performance all around!

I too wish I had that kind of technique, feel, sound, musicality, phrasing, depth of musical knowledge, lifetime of experience, opportunity to play with the greats, etc. etc.

The Youtube playback speed feature helps there - at 0.5 speed it's a little easier to see and digest what Chris is doing.

Enjoy!
    Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

It is a wonderful performance by both artists.

I believe Chris is playing his Dudenbostel however, which is also a very fine instrument.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Yep, that’s his Dude, before he got the headstock scroll break fixed. Mighty, mighty fine music by them both. And, yes, a mighty fine mandolin that some prefer to his Loar (though I see what he means about the Loar being just a tad better up the neck). Thanks for posting! Now I’m gonna have to learn that version...
    Last edited by CES; May-13-2020 at 4:24pm.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Yep, that’s his Dude, before he got the headstock scroll break fixed. Mighty, mighty fine music by them both. And, yes, a mighty fine mandolin that some prefer to his Loar (though I see what he means about the Loar being just a tad better up the neck). Thanks for posting! Now I’m gonna have to learn that version...
    I'm also going to learn this version. I wish I had music for it that showed all of his chord voicings during the verse. Slowing it down will help, good tip and I'm glad you all appreciated the post. Sharing music, is sharing life.
    Morris A4
    Morgan Monroe MMS-5W

Morris A4
    Morgan Monroe MMS-5W

Check out this site. There's enough there to keep you busy for quite some time.

Chris Thile (one of the greatest players of all time) playing his Loar (one of the greatest mandolins of all time) with Doc Watson (one of the greatest flatpickers of all time). Just a knockout performance all around!

I too wish I had that kind of technique, feel, sound, musicality, phrasing, depth of musical knowledge, lifetime of experience, opportunity to play with the greats, etc. etc.
    Yebbut, apart from that ... (channeling Monty Python)

Actually, Thile's lovely solo on that track isn't - technically - beyond the capabilities of an average player with a decent instrument who listens carefully and takes the time , perhaps by slowing down the video as suggested.

Then once you've got that licked, there's just all those other attributes you mentioned.

For genre-crossing players active today, I find it hard to beat David Grisman and Carlo Aonzo, not least for each's sheer volume of audio and video output but there could be any number of others.
    Bren