Thread: The master’s hands

Default The master’s hands

A few months back, an elite player jammed on my mando for an entire evening. Ever since, the mando has never sounded so good. He played it harder than I normally do. I believe he “woke it up.” I recall Itzhak Perlman talking about waking up a violin before a concert. The wood must vibrate. Ride ‘em hard but treat them good. Your mandos may thank you.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobrem For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The master’s hands

I hire him to play all my mandolins for 2.5 hours before I ship them out, so I'm all good on that front.

4. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    I hire him to play all my mandolins for 2.5 hours before I ship them out, so I'm all good on that front.
    The human Tonerite!

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobrem View Post
    A few months back, an elite player jammed on my mando for an entire evening. Ever since, the mando has never sounded so good. He played it harder than I normally do. I believe he “woke it up.” I recall Itzhak Perlman talking about waking up a violin before a concert. The wood must vibrate. Ride ‘em hard but treat them good. Your mandos may thank you.
    What mandolin (brand, a or f, year built/akquisition etc) is it?

Once an instrument has been played in it retains its soundquality. Read about the famous Kreissler violin for example. My mandolins reward me by either crooning or snapping as the picking dictates it. Makes me happy.
    Olaf

A while back I heard John Reischman say something along the lines of "I just heard a sound that I liked in my head and then figured out a way to make that sound come out of my mandolin." I've often wondered if just hearing what your mando is really capable of gives you an idea of what to aim for and subconsciously improves your tone as a player.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cartershilts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    What mandolin (brand, a or f, year built/akquisition etc) is it?

Once an instrument has been played in it retains its soundquality. Read about the famous Kreissler violin for example. My mandolins reward me by either crooning or snapping as the picking dictates it. Makes me happy.
    Brand of mando is a Stan Miller F from 2009 with back, sides and neck made of (legal) Brazilian rosewood. Top is Englemann spruce. Similar to the one John Reischman played before getting his Loar. I think it takes more effort to vibrate rosewood than maple. This mando is quite heavy compared to a maple mando. I acquired it in the fall of 2018. Not sure how much it was played prior. I believe the previous owner said not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by bobrem View Post
    Brand of mando is a Stan Miller F from 2009 with back, sides and neck made of (legal) Brazilian rosewood. Top is Englemann spruce. Similar to the one John Reischman played before getting his Loar. I think it takes more effort to vibrate rosewood than maple. This mando is quite heavy compared to a maple mando. I acquired it in the fall of 2018. Not sure how much it was played prior. I believe the previous owner said not that much.
    Id love to see the back of that mando! I dont think I’ve ever seen a BRW F style mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeadFlatpick View Post
    Id love to see the back of that mando! I dont think I’ve ever seen a BRW F style mandolin
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3574.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	758.9 KB 
ID:	185948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3574.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	758.9 KB 
ID:	185948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6626.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	981.8 KB 
ID:	185949
    Last edited by bobrem; May-19-2020 at 4:21pm. Reason: Add photo

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobrem For This Useful Post:

Funny, I was just watching a YouTube video that refers to the same topic, but in regard to violins, which are first-cousins to mandolins. Very amusing & informative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr3meJ6nM-8