Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Once A Week Jethro Burns Mandolin Playing Discussion

Default Once A Week Jethro Burns Mandolin Playing Discussion

Howdy! I was wondering if any swingin' mandolin pickers would be interested in a once-a-week discussion of Jethro Burns ideas and approach to the mandolin and music? We can pick one tune to look over or just simply one idea. There's so much to explore as far as Jethro Burns playing such as theoretical ideas, his own technique to playing the mandolin, plus swing repertoire. Of course there is a bunch of online material to take from but I always learn best by diving in with groups!

Only thing needed is an open mind and a mandolin :-)

Please no bad attitudes. Let's keep this a fun conversation and a focused discussion. Please send me an email if interested!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to farmer&adele For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Once A Week Jethro Burns Mandolin Playing Discussion

OK with me... J."K" B. was the man with the chops. This may not be the best place to start this conversation. Maybe in Jazz under Music by genre. R/
    Last edited by UsuallyPickin; May-12-2020 at 2:39pm. Reason: added thought
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I'm in!
    I went to a week long mandolin workshop with Jethro in 1983, and it changed my life.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Let me know.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

I would be interested! Great Idea!
    Maybe we could be lucky enough to attract Don Stiernberg!
    I have always been a dreamer!

I sure would be, love to learn more about Jethro.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Blog Entries

Don't speak the lingo but I'm interested. Please consider doing this as a Social Group here.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

I wish I could have met Jethro. Bet we would have been buddies, although I'm sure he never met a mandolin player he didn't like ('cept ol' Bill ). I have been lucky enough to have some time with Don Stiernberg and experience his incredible ability to channel Jethro. What a treasure for all of us folks that never met the man. Here's one I got on paper recently, from the Adler House Concert (@ 13:00 in this video). Hope you all are safe and well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Over the Rainbow - Jethro.pdf 
Views:	242 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	185779
    2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    1913 R. Calace Brevettato 900
    Espresso
    Youtube

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jordan Ramsey For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Nice transcription, Jordan. One more thing for me to try and get under the fingers! A fun tune to play.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

Count me in.

I signed on to the once a week Jethro Burns social group. Here is the link
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=321
    You could find it under the tab above Learn/Listen and then you will find it under social groups.

I'm in. I love Jethro.
    Ocean Blvd - Funky Jazz (https://oceanblvd.band)
    Cosmic Ramblers - Bluegrass, Americana (facebook.com/cosmicramblers)
    HotQua String Band - Gypsy Swing, Latin Bluegrass

Main Mandos: Nashville Flatiron A5 Artist, Belmuse 4 string electric

Howdy!

Great to hear from y'all! I'm so glad y'all are interested in discussing Jethro's approach to the mandolin! Just to give y'all a quick background on what it is I do: I play/write songs/sing/yodel in a western swing group called the Farmer & Adele and we're all based out of middle Tennessee. I've been listening to Jethro Burns music for the past 20 years and have always appreciated and loved hearing his playing. The more I play/learn jazz tunes over the years, the more I absolutely love and appreciate Jethro Burns' playing evn more. I thought we could talk about specific tunes Jethro used to play, his ideas over chord patterns, cool licks, technique, and some of his solos.

I have taken a bunch of lessons with Don Stiernberg and Billy Contreras over the years and have learned alot but I also have a bunch of Jethro's printed material and resources to online Jethro lessons and I think there is a real power to group discussion instead of just looking at ideas on paper. I'd love to set up a once a week Zoom meeting with y'all! What days work best for everyone?

How about if we choose a tune which has a YouTube video so we could refer to the tune and exact time in the tune pa for discussion. This way we could all key into a reference point. Jordon that’s a lovely transcription. Thanks for offering it to us. I would be available for a zoom meeting any day except Saturday and Tuesday. Time right now is quite open due to this mighty COVID.

Great idea. Jethro was my first Mandolin teacher. It was such a positive experience, I believe that’s why I’m still playing now, some 40+ years later. Jethro embraced Music, whether it was Pop, Jazz, Italian etc. He didn’t think the Mandolin was limited by genre. That was the most important thing I learned. If I liked a tune, I could & should play it on the Mandolin, Basie, Bach, Beatles, Blues, & even Ol’ Bill.
    Love the “Over the Rainbow” transcription. I learned it from Jethro many years ago. I’m sure there are differences, good. A chance to compare notes (& chords).
    Like a lot of us, I’m home bound for now. Flexible time. I’m not overly tech savvy, but I think I can zoom.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Central Time here Monday, Wednesday or Thursday evening would be best for me. I have always appreciated C.M.P. Burns music and comedy. I do hope this pans out. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Of those times Monday evening would suit me best. I am in eastern time so anytime 7 through 9 PM eastern time would work. I just opened my Jethro Burns book and printed Jordan's lovely transcription of Over the Rainbow. I'm figuring out the fingering observing Jethro on the Adler Video!

Though I wouldn't be able to add much to the discussion, I would appreciate being able to lurk and learn. I'm free whenever you decide to do this.

Joe

Howdy all! I had a technical mishap. My apologies. Feel free to join the Jethro social group again in social groups. Thanks!

Great, I too won't have much to add but looking forward to just listening and learning. I'm good every day except Thursdays. Thanks for setting this up.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Keenan Wade is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Jethro Burns
    Time: May 16, 2020 12:30 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
    https://us04web.zoom.us/j/7888923215...dBdkUwQVY2Zz09

Meeting ID: 788 8923 2153
    Password: 9x1amh

Btw, my name is Keenan Wade, or you can just call me Farmer Keenan! Looking forward to our once a week Jethro Burns playing/discussion on Zoom! Zoom isn't really great for jamming, or any online face chatting source. My goal in this discussion is for everyone to take a turn hosting on Zoom and for the host to chat about a Jethro Burns musical idea from a song they've been learning.

Tomorrow, I'll be more than happy to lead the discussion with a couple ideas, plus a tune, we can discuss as a group. We'll start the meeting with going around and introducing ourselves, where we are from, and our favorite Jethro tune! "All of them" is always a great answer but if you can narrow it down to one tune it will help lead the discussion!

I'm so looking forward to chatting with each and everyone of you tomorrow! The meeting will begin at 12:30pm Central Time.

I will be attending! So count me in!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    I signed on to the once a week Jethro Burns social group. Here is the link
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=321
    You could find it under the tab above Learn/Listen and then you will find it under social groups.
    FYI, the Social Groups link is visible on every single page on the Forum at all times. Look right below the bigger Classifieds link. This change was made several months ago. It was left under the Listen/Learn because people got used to it being there.

What's New... New Posts... Social Groups... Blogs, etc.

I learned this version of Autumn Leaves from Jethro. A couple of the chord forms are a little difficult for my arthritic fingers these days:
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Rosett For This Useful Post: