Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piccolo Mandolin Building Project

Default Re: Piccolo Mandolin Building Project

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    Uh-oh! Three cat lovers emerge - serious danger of complete topic divergence!!!!! I will try to stay on topic, but it is tough LOL!!! As I cannot, due to my Apple ineptitude, hear the files, perhaps others may come along who are in the same boat - so I am going to post this random video of a piccolo mandolin in a concert. Like Sue, these little mandolins are new to me:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3_2pnH9VNZ0

And here is another video which prompts me to ask what the difference is between a piccolo mandolin, a pocket mandolin, and a “travel” (as in Weber) mandolin? Are these specific instrument types or loosely used generic terms? Thank you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UZOU-ze_YJg
    Hi Tim,

I had a Weber Sweetpea and really liked it, but it is not a piccolo mandolin. They are quite different from each other That instrument has a small body but a full scale length, and is tuned as a mandolin. In a piccolo mandolin, the scale length, body size and tuning are in proportion to each other, just as they are in a mandolin, mandola, OM or other instrument. The shortened scale matches the body size and it is tuned a fourth above a mandolin (cgda).

In a travel mandolin, mandolin playing is matched with transportability. It plays like any mandolin but has a small body. In a piccolo mandolin, you have a different, but related, instrument just as you do with any mandolin-family instrument. While every instrument is a compromise to one degree or another, in my travel mandolin I felt that compromise, especially if I played it with others. I don't feel it with the piccolo.

Does that help? This is one reason I am making a few of these for my friends to try. I think if more people try them, they will gain in popularity. They are being held back by their rarity. If we meet in person at some point, you can give mine a try. They are surprisingly hard to put down.

Oh, and we would then have the chance to talk cats, too!

Best wishes, Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Great info Bob, thank you. In the violin world there is a tiny fascinating instrument called a pochette with a great history behind it and many wonderful examples to be studied. In the second video I posted above it appears that the instrument he is playing is smaller than a piccolo mandolin (???). I am wondering if it is the mandolin family version of a pochette?

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

On a PC, first I right clicked and selected open and got random characters. Next I tried regular (left) click and was afforded an opportunity to select the application to open with. I picked a media player. I got a message that said "you are opening an html file, proceed?". I clicked yes and it played. For some reason, these files are being initially perceived as html files rather than sound files.

Hope this helps.
    Sue

PS Can't help with Apple, I'm Apple ignorant
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; May-23-2020 at 8:18am. Reason: additional comment

Hi and thank you Sue - That’s what you see on Apple products - they show up as html files. Weird!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Great info Bob, thank you. In the violin world there is a tiny fascinating instrument called a pochette with a great history behind it and many wonderful examples to be studied. In the second video I posted above it appears that the instrument he is playing is smaller than a piccolo mandolin (???). I am wondering if it is the mandolin family version of a pochette?
    Hi Tim,

The mandolin in the Vivaldi seems to be a piccolo. The mandolin played solo could be a piccolo or not, I'd have to know the scale length, but the body seems too small. It probably was intended as a travel mandolin. The Vivaldi, by the way, was really beautiful.

Since we have expanded into piccolo mandolins in general, here are a couple pictures of the A4-style piccolo Mike Black built for me. I have shown it in the Cafe before. It is an incredible instrument with wonderful, sweet tone. It even has a scaled-down Virzi. When I get a minute, I'll record it and post that, too, but we see there is a problem listening to those with Apple hardware. I am hoping someone will come up with a solution to that, even if it means I have to re-post somehow.

BTW Sue and Tim, notice the headstock inlay and the inlay on the neck heel. I think you'll like them.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	186070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	186071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black phoenix comparison.JPEG 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	186072  

6. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Oooooo.....that would be so nice next to my own Phoenix!!! Was Mike’s a one time only build?

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Oooooo.....that would be so nice next to my own Phoenix!!! Was Mike’s a one time only build?
    Hi Tim,

These are in Mike's regular lineup, and they are amazing. Here's the URL http://www.blackmandolins.com/piccolo-mandolins.html

Mike was really easy to work with and the instrument is beyond expectations. If you'd like more detail about the build process or instrument, feel free to PM me.

Best wishes,

Bob

I checked out his site yesterday including the video’s. Beautiful! And I started checking old threads - lot of info on the Cafe! But you are right - the don’t seem to have “caught on” - a small niche area!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I checked out his site yesterday including the video’s. Beautiful! And I started checking old threads - lot of info on the Cafe! But you are right - the don’t seem to have “caught on” - a small niche area!
    Hence the need for piccolo flat-tops as a 'gateway drug'. It's funny, but the conversation here has now come full-circle. I feel like a piccolo mandolin evangelizer!

A few other contemporary luthiers have built piccolos including Gilchrist, Wiens, and Campanella. In addition, I thought this one-off 1915 Gibson piccolo would be pictured somewhere in the web but only years ago and I think it was also scanned from Gruhn & Carter's Acoustic book. Here is the image. Only 6 strings so I assume meant to be strung CGD. It was owned my Mark O'Connor at one time and may still be, for all I know. That book is from 1993. I also attached a readable blowup of the caption. I wish they had more info at least the scale length.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GibsonPiccolo-1915-GruhnCarter76LO.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	186105 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GibsonPiccolo-1915-text.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	186106
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Something funky going on between the tailpiece and the bridge on that one . . . but I'd love to hear what it sounds like.
    Clark Beavans

For those interested I just acquired this piccolo bowlback by Stefano Caponnetto of Catania, Sicily. I posted info here:https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...y-Piccolo-Trio

Here are are few pics and an updated now trio of my piccolos. I really should fix up this new one and the other bowlback.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caponnetto_FTBK.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	668.3 KB 
ID:	205082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caponnetto_bottom.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	205083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caponnetto_label.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	205084  

Name:	Caponnetto_side.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	205085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PiccoloTrio_fronts.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	500.2 KB 
ID:	205086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PiccoloTrio_backs.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	439.4 KB 
ID:	205087  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I got a kick out of seeing this old thread revived. I'm still building piccolo mandolins and have now worked my way into 4-string, nylon-strung piccolos (esoteric enough?). In fact, here's one that's not quite off the bench yet. Adirondack Spruce with bear-claw top, Maple neck, local cherry back and ribs. Lovely voice, but not yet done. It's going to a very patient musician in California!

Name:	Strung up but not finished.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	205106