Thread: My band asked me to stop playing guitar

Default My band asked me to stop playing guitar

Well, I knew this was coming. My acoustic trio has pretty much asked me to stop playing guitar. And switch to full time mandolin! They love the mandolin. And the audience seems to agree. We played a house party this weekend and the 5 or so songs I played mandolin on just went over so well.
    So they asked "how many songs could we change out to mandolin?"
    I guess I have some work to do transposing guitar to mandolin.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tadams For This Useful Post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Default Re: My band asked me to stop playing guitar

And today was a good day

How many can you switch over? All.

Blog Entries

Interesting thread, thanks for posting.

For a number of mostly RA-hand related reasons, I'm trying to move my role in my main band from 100% banjo to a fairly even mixture of mandolin, banjo and double bass. Aside from my RA, it adds instrument-voice variety and it frees up our bassist/vocalist to play more guitar, or secondarily mandolin, which are really the instruments he is most known for performing with.

Our bassist is fine with this, but my wife on rhythm guitar and lead vocal and our fiddler/vocalist are so used to the way I setup rhythm on the banjo that it's a tough transition for them, so they're a little hesitant. We've agreed that I'll play new songs on the mandolin or double bass, so those new arrangements will evolve with me on those instruments. Some of our older songs will slowly transition too, but it will take time.

In the mean time mandolin has my primary attention this year and the way things are at this time, I have had plenty of time to work on it. I'm glad for that!
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Some of my early bands asked me to stop playing guitar. And I didn't even have any other instruments then.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Leyda For This Useful Post:

You've leveled up.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tadams View Post
    Well, I knew this was coming. My acoustic trio has pretty much asked me to stop playing guitar. And switch to full time mandolin! They love the mandolin. And the audience seems to agree. We played a house party this weekend and the 5 or so songs I played mandolin on just went over so well.
    So they asked "how many songs could we change out to mandolin?"
    I guess I have some work to do transposing guitar to mandolin.

Or practice more guitar.

Seriously, what are the other instruments? Personally I could imagine playing the mandolin in a trio of bass, percussion and mandolin, requiring a very good bass player, with a good walk, and great rhythmic imagination. But in more folklike genres I would miss the harmonic foundation of a guitar.

I've been playing the guitar for 62 years, and the mandolin for 53, and I'm keenly aware of the possibilities and limitiations of either instrument, esp. w r t my own compositions.
    The majority are either expressly for guitar or mandolin; a small number work on both instruments, but I treat the tunes differently on either instrument. E.g., owing to its range, the guitar is much richer in harmonic possibilities so I will use fuller chords on that instrument. On the other hand, Gerry Mulligan's Quartet in the early 50's indicate how just two horns and bass suffice to suggest quite elaborate harmonic structures.

Strength in Numbers had no guitar on most numbers, but they also had Edgar Meyer and Jerry Douglas.

Registered User gordonjackson83's Avatar
    The medieval town of Sandwich, Kent, England.

There are three of us in my band, too. On most things the line up is mandolin, octave mandola (octave mandolin) and accordion. We have other instruments as well, but absolutely no guitar. Rather than not missing a guitar, we believe we're better off without one!

That’s great! You now can be the butt of all the “littlest instrument” jokes but, you don’t have to haul that big guitar or ridiculously heavy banjo around! The mandolin is a “win, win instrument”!! Besides now you can pick in the front seat of the car on road trips and not cause an accident!
    Good for you.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Congrats! Wow, in a trio mandolin shouldn't get lost in the mix. On the other hand, there's nowhere to hide. Sounds to me like you got this. I'd like to hear this. Y'all gotta a link?

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    Or practice more guitar.

Seriously, what are the other instruments? Personally I could imagine playing the mandolin in a trio of bass, percussion and mandolin, requiring a very good bass player, with a good walk, and great rhythmic imagination. But in more folklike genres I would miss the harmonic foundation of a guitar.

I've been playing the guitar for 62 years, and the mandolin for 53, and I'm keenly aware of the possibilities and limitiations of either instrument, esp. w r t my own compositions.
    The majority are either expressly for guitar or mandolin; a small number work on both instruments, but I treat the tunes differently on either instrument. E.g., owing to its range, the guitar is much richer in harmonic possibilities so I will use fuller chords on that instrument. On the other hand, Gerry Mulligan's Quartet in the early 50's indicate how just two horns and bass suffice to suggest quite elaborate harmonic structures.

Strength in Numbers had no guitar on most numbers, but they also had Edgar Meyer and Jerry Douglas.
    Other instruments are Acoustic guitar (a D28 cannon) and electric bass guitar. When I play lead acoustic it is difficult to keep up. The others try to play softer during solo's but they get excited and start to play louder as the evening goes on! The Mandolin kinda carves out its own space.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    That’s great! You now can be the butt of all the “littlest instrument” jokes but, you don’t have to haul that big guitar or ridiculously heavy banjo around! The mandolin is a “win, win instrument”!! Besides now you can pick in the front seat of the car on road trips and not cause an accident!
    Good for you.
    The funny thing is I'm the drummer in this band when we have a "rock show"! So the difference between hauling drums around vs a mandolin is something I can really appreciate.

I've been in groups that have asked me to stop playing entirely. Also stop singing. And, stop showing up for gigs and rehearsals. Then they started crossing out my name on business cards, and cropping me out of publicity photos.

Not that I took it personally...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Funny, my wife asked me to go back to guitar. Mandolin sounds shrill to her. Instead I play when she's out, which has been difficult during quarantine here in New York for the last two months.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I've been in groups that have asked me to stop playing entirely. Also stop singing. And, stop showing up for gigs and rehearsals. Then they started crossing out my name on business cards, and cropping me out of publicity photos.

Not that I took it personally...
    Dude! That was you?

😀

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to farmerjones For This Useful Post:

My trio doesn't have a guitar either. We use mandolin and voice (me), piano, and bass. Works pretty well.

Here lately I've been playing more fiddle than mandolin, but we're about to lose our one guitar guy. I'm more than competent on guitar and will tolerate subbing, but if they try to stick me with the thing long term I swear I'll bring in keyboards. That's how much I don't enjoy guitar. Fortunately guitar players--or at least vocalists who use the guitar as a prop--are easy to find.
    Northfield F2S
    Howard Morris A-4
    Eastman DGM3 Mandola
    Eastman MD805PGE
    Miscellaneous tingums

I think a well-played mandolin can add to almost any musical situation...
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

22. The following members say thank you to Mando Mort for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Luber View Post
    Funny, my wife asked me to go back to guitar. Mandolin sounds shrill to her. Instead I play when she's out, which has been difficult during quarantine here in New York for the last two months.
    +1 My wife moans about the fact I don't play guitar much anymore. Doesn't really affect my behavior though. I do plenty of practicing out in my old camper van. And I do play guitar a bit at gigs. Usually the gigging is a duo, and my buddy plays guitars (acoustic or electric) and harmonica, while I do guitar (acoustic) and mandolin (acoustic).
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I played guitar in a band that had another guitarist, we couldn't find a mandolin or fiddle player to complete our lineup. My bandmates knew I played a little (not small, lol!) mandolin and encouraged me to take the mandolin spot. It was a lot of pressure to play when I was not ready for prime time. I realized a good teacher was needed to learn more quickly so was lucky to find a good teacher. I'm glad they pushed me in that direction so long ago.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band