Thread: Thomastik starks on an arch top for classical

Default Thomastik starks on an arch top for classical

I have read many threads on TI’s but not located too much specifically related to TI starks for playing classical on a Gibson style arch top. If you have used them, what might I expect to sound/feel different (for classical music only) between standard J74’s and TI starks on my new Flatiron A5? My signature below shows what strings I currently use. Thank you in advance for your input.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Default Re: Thomastik starks on an arch top for classical

Tim,
    I have put TI’s on a Gibson & played other people’s Gibson’s with them. I don’t like them on the arch top Gibson, either f or oval holed. I don’t think they get the top vibrating enough. The sound is kind of muddy & doesn’t project as much.
    It’s not that I dislike the strings. I have an Italian Catania Mandolin & have used TI’s (currently I’m using Calace Dolce) & they sound & play wonderfully.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

Joe -
    Thank you. That is a helpful clear expression of how they seem to you. I have an unfounded “gut” reaction that the TI’s are not a great idea on the Flatiron, but it is just that “unfounded”! They are perfect for my Phoenix and L&H mandolins. I suppose, if the question keeps nagging at me, I will simply have to pop for the TI’s and test them! Thank you,

I did come across, by the way, this thread which sheds some light:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...p/t-93606.html

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Plenty of folks use this sort of combination with great results. I’ve recently put some on my f5 and I’m really enjoying them. I give up a bit of volume, but the more consistent and richer tone they produce across the whole instrument is currently worth it to me.

Thank you taboot - that’s encouraging - I think I will give them a shot!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I like them! That said, I like the EXP74CM too! Sure, they're different!

I do like the feel and sound of the Starks; however.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

7. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Decades ago I put Thomastiks on my 23 Gibson and hated them. I have since played other’s mandolins that had them on and they were ok but not my choice. I am with Mandopops. I like them on my L&H but not on old Gibsons. Never tried them on my 83 Flatiron and probably never will. Personally l use D’Addario NB mediums on most of my carved mandolins.

BTW Tim, did Carlo recommend the dolce strings for his mandolin? I am surprised. Usually modern makers would use a heavier gauge. I used to use Dogal mediums when I owned a Pandini.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi Jim - Thank you for sharing your experience with TI starks. To answer your question, Carlo highly recommends Optima blue or green strings which are a bit hard to get a hold of in the US and says the Dogals are just fine. He has experimented with Thomastik mediums (like on the very interesting “German/Neopolitan” hybrid he made) but always seems to revert back to Optimas.

To all posters on this thread - I got rid of the burr in my butt, so will stay with J74’s. Sometimes ya’ just have to sleep on it to get rid of the tinkering obsession!!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I love Dogal strings on bowlbacks but I was asking why you use the Dolce which are super light. Did Carlo recommend those or are the Optimas he does recommend similar in gauge to the Dolces? My Pandini came with Dogal Mediums so I always used those on that mandolin. The dolces are great for the vintage ones which are built super light. Or does Carlo build his bowlbacks very light?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim - Oooops. I just talked to Carlo. You are correct. He would suggest the medium Dogals (not lights) if Optima blue or green were not available. However, I just realized I DO have Optima Blues on my Lucia, not Dogals. The Dogals were for a future test LOL. This what I call a “Dah!!!” moment!!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I've been using the Stark TI on my Flatiron F for the last 10 years. When I was playing gigs regularly, I would get compliments on the amplified tone regularly, which was probably a combination of the strings and the dual piezo pickup. Look for my post #2232 in the "post a video of yourself" single note Grisman tune (not classical if you want to hear the acoustic tone of the DAE strings). I don't change my strings enough, that example is on strings over a year old. For me, the low G is a little muddy when it gets older. Unless you are doing classical ensembles I wouldn't think that volume would be a big issue.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

13. The following members say thank you to Steve Lavelle for this post:

I used TI stark on my '24 snakehead and they were so wonderful, also wore like iron!

15. The following members say thank you to blacktop for this post:

Steve -
    That is quite an endorsement and exactly to the point. Thank you very much for chiming in - I do really appreciate it!
    Blacktop -
    Thank you too -all of this input is most interesting!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

For those following this thread, here is Steve LaVelle’s spot on video of Stark’s on a Flatiron! Again, thank you Steve. I hope this link works for everyone. I must confess, it is making my thought process waffle back to experimenting with them.

https://m.facebook.com/steve.lavelle...19402482/?t=79

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Actually, Tim, I thought this one was better for demonstration of tone:
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

19. The following members say thank you to Steve Lavelle for this post:

Steve- so great of you to post this as well. It does give a better idea of tone. These videos are a perfect answer to my query!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Steve - thanks again. I just ordered a set. Looking forward to the experiment!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I have used Thomastiks for some time for classical music on my 1922 Gibson A Junior and also on my 1930s Dobro resonator. In my opinion, they are outstanding, far better than anything else. They have clear tone, maintain tune very well, and seem to last forever. Sometimes, when I change them, the new strings sound pretty much like the take-offs — it makes me wonder how long they would last if I just left them there! Additionally, their smooth texture minimizes all kinds of unwanted string noise from slurs, ornaments, or just my clumsy fingers.

I do understand that the Thomastiks may lack volume, but that is not an issue for me. I’m not trying to chop or fight with the banjos in a BG band. As everyone knows, Thomastiks are vastly more expensive that anything else, but the qualities noted above and their longevity justify the price for me.

Hope this helps.

23. The following members say thank you to Strabo for this post:

I can now report that, for my taste, the TI Starks are superb on my Flatiron!!!! Just perfect! Thank you to all who posted and especially to Steve for posting those great videos.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)