Thread: Differences between Antonio Vinaccia and Pasquale Vinaccia?

Default Differences between Antonio Vinaccia and Pasquale Vinaccia?

Is there any point in putting Aquila historical Neapolitan string set (gut and brass) https://aquilacorde.com/en/shop/mode...istorical-set/ - as described by Fouchetti - on a Pasquale Vinaccia from about 100 years later?

I imagine the Pasquale will have a soundboard too thick for the gut/brass strings to move much.

Default Re: Differences between Antonio Vinaccia and Pasquale Vinaccia?

Well, nothing prevents you to try Aquila. I haven't tried those myself, but some people have and the reports were positive. But Pasquale's instruments were designed for steel strings, of course.

That's what I'm thinking.

Yeah, I would expect similar. I've never tried a mixture of gut and brass on a more modern Neapolitan. Frankly, the super fragile brass a' strings are frustrating enough to be avoided unless the context calls for it.

Hi Eugene. I hear what you are saying. Authenticity can often lead to an appreciation of why things changed! Wire strings and lute/violin-style pegs are a match made in Hell. I'll never forget (though would very much like to) playing a concert of Renaissance cittern and clarsach (wire-strung harp) duets. Oh...I need to lie down!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Hi Eugene. I hear what you are saying. Authenticity can often lead to an appreciation of why things changed! Wire strings and lute/violin-style pegs are a match made in Hell.
    Aye!