Thread: Gibson F5

Default Gibson F5

I took the next step in my mandolin journey a couple of weeks ago. I've played music for decades but have only "played" mandolin for about 6 or 8 months. My first mandolin was a Gibson Army & Navy reissue that I posted about here on MC back in the fall.

Ever since I saw "Bill Monroe: The Father of Bluegrass" on PBS back in 1994 or 1995 I have loved the look of a well-worn F-style. I had been eyeballing this one online for a few months but the seller and I live about a 4 hour drive apart and his asking price was a bit more than I wanted to spend so I kept putting it out of my mind. Then, a couple of weeks ago on a whim, I sent him a trade offer and within a few hours we hatched a plan to meet just off the highway halfway between us that upcoming weekend and the deal was done.

Now, I've read all the reviews and according to what I've read in online forums: early 70s Gibson mandolins are to be avoided at all costs and are best used as fungo bats or to put out a campfire. But, as a move-up mandolin, I love this thing. It's nice to look at and it plays beautifully. It's had some work done. ie. Radiused fretboard, herringbone binding, and it's been stripped and then hand polished to give it that broken in look. It also came with the original case and a Tone Guard. I don't have enough experience yet to know if it's my forever mandolin, but it's certainly scratching my 3-chord itch in the meantime.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5542.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	185657
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5517.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	718.3 KB 
ID:	185658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5518.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	595.9 KB 
ID:	185659

2. The following members say thank you to Lo-Fi for this post:

Default Re: Gibson F5

Nice. Enjoy it!

1. I'd say a Gibson F-5 is worth relaxing social distance guidelines for.

2. Generalizations are just that; they apply to any individual instrument in varying degrees. Not quarreling with the consensual opinion that the early 1970's were, in general, a low point in Gibson mandolin quality. That doesn't mean that every F-5 from that period is a bad instrument, nor that any particular one is not worth buying. I hope that yours is an exception to that general rule of thumb, and gives you great satisfaction while you own it.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I love it when a plan comes together! I think a lot of folks miss out because they refuse to even consider a Gibson made in the 70’s. I too believe some were not so good and others very good. If the price were the same between a 70’s Gibson and a high end import, I would take the Gibson. I think they are kind of historic being made in the old factory by hand. I would even take the Gibson mandolin with the Lump or Gumby scroll. Perhaps I’m blinded by my love for Gibson. Also those 70’s Gibson cases are so cool. Sounds like a good deal and a keeper. Those 70’s Gibson seem pretty solid. I’m sure a good setup and possible upgrades could enhance tone and play as with any vintage instrument.

I had a 70’s Mastertone Banjo that served me well. I traded for a Mandolin. I wished I would kept the Mastertone as it was well constructed , maybe over constructed. Still it had a cool vibe and a pretty good tone ring. It played fantastic! It was not on same level of tone of those Mastertones produced in the 90’s and up to 2000’s but it was a very good banjo that was better than any import at the time.