Thread: Orpharion

A little off the beaten path, but I thought some character here might be interested in the renaissance orpharion.

Very nice instrument Eugene! Here is something from the same period - an instrument called Bandura; this instrument is made in the Czech Republic..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bandora_pred.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	780  

and there comes an instrument called Kvintern, this instrument is very relative to mandolin, also made in the Czech Rep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kvinterna_pred.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	781  

Very interesting. The kvintern looks like a modern take on ancient instruments. The name looks to have been derived from quintern.

Orpharion's are cool. I have seen them with fanned frets as well (multiple scale lengths)
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

There's a third member of the group - Bandora (or Pandora) is the lowest, Orpharion in the middle, and Penorcon above that. I'd presume that the name at least of the Spanish "Bandurria" relates to these, and in some ways my Spanish Laud (presumably the name comes from "lute") is a cross between a 6-course cittern and an orpharion.
    Reality : A particularly unconvincing illusion (see "Reality TV" if you disagree.)