Thread: Electric mandolin

Default Electric mandolin

I was thinking of getting an electric mandolin so that I can social distance with a small group and still be heard. I am thinking of buying a used pancake flatiron and converting it. Does anyone have advise. I don’t want to spend more then $1000. Thanks for your input helping me make music

Default Re: Electric mandolin

Those ovation mandolins are easy to play and sound pretty good plugged in, many "under 1K" mandolins do come with a pickup installed, just have to make sure it has one before you purchase. You could invest in a decent mic and preamp as well ( for way under 1K), unless you are wanting to direct feed the PC. They make preamps with usb feeds as well.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Eastman has some "electrified" models. Also, there are some solid body electrics floating around. You can get a Mandoblaster used for under $600. Keep an eye out.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Emando.com has a selection
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorraine Fox View Post
    I was thinking of getting an electric mandolin so that I can social distance with a small group and still be heard. I am thinking of buying a used pancake flatiron and converting it. Does anyone have advise. I don’t want to spend more then $1000.
    It depends on what kind of music you play, and what type of tone you seek, but my first thought for amplification in that price range would be the Godin A8.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    It depends on what kind of music you play, and what type of tone you seek, but my first thought for amplification in that price range would be the Godin A8.

After hearing Eva Scow on hers, that Godin is my first thought for electric in any price range. I have one of the Fender reissues that’s fun and was cheap, but no longer made.

7. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

I found a 4 string tele-mando kit, that wasn't much more than a hundo. But it's the difference between a solid body electric guitar vs. an acoustic guitar. Knowing what i know now, i would get an L. R. Baggs pickup for my favorite acoustic mandolin. It worked for my fiddle.

Question Re: Electric mandolin

whole section devoted to them .. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/f...ring-Electrics

But it reads like you want to add a pickup on an acoustic mandolin..

It's a very FAQ. so other than repeating.. I have little to add after responding to same question before..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Lorraine Fox View Post
    I am thinking of buying a used pancake flatiron and converting it. Does anyone have advise.
    You're getting into a "project" that is going to take time researching pickups, electronics and the sort then playing around to find the tonal sweet spot. Either you do it or you pay a tech. Beyond that, finding something off the shelf that works is going to be the fastest and easiest.

The Godin is a great choice.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

11. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

I'm an another Godin A8 supporter. It's an acoustic instrument fitted with a pre-amp, and plays well and loudly un-amped as well as amplified. I'm very happy with mine.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

13. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post: