Thread: Dudu Maia/Douglas Lora -- Choro Pesado

Blog Entries

Default Dudu Maia/Douglas Lora -- Choro Pesado

My favorite tune from the Rosa Dos Ventos album, with Anat Cohen joining Trio Basileiro.

I overdubbed onto my own rhythm track, emulating Douglas Lora's guitar part. Buchanan 10-string on both tracks, Shure KSM 32 and Headway undersaddle pickup. Short version--I skipped the long repeat they do.

Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dudu Maia/Douglas Lora -- Choro Pesado

I want to add that it was very illuminating to follow Douglas Lora's guitar part, seeing how he supports the melody and the rhythmic drive. It was satisfying to discover I could fulfill the guitar role and provide a rhythm section for myself by using only the 10-string. I recorded the guitar part first and played melody over it, making use of a click track at 132.

I particularly enjoy Dudu's writing, with the melody rhythm alternating between on-beat and anticipated beat, syncopation every second bar. The pattern continues in the B section, while the C section is the showy scale riff that opens the tune.
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud

Blog Entries

As I was listening I wondered what the score looked like. If I could even begin to play the tune, it would be 'by ear'. The syncopation must be nuts.
    You've got some great insights about melody and rhythmic drive and arranging. (Not to mention some skills in recording). Have you considered video? Like many of us, I'm just starting to consider recording. Some description of your method would be nice. And / or some discussion of Lora's method.
    Thanks - and again, a very nice performance.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    As I was listening I wondered what the score looked like. If I could even begin to play the tune, it would be 'by ear'. The syncopation must be nuts.
    You've got some great insights about melody and rhythmic drive and arranging. (Not to mention some skills in recording). Have you considered video? Like many of us, I'm just starting to consider recording. Some description of your method would be nice. And / or some discussion of Lora's method.
    Thanks - and again, a very nice performance.
    Thanks for listening.
    I use the ProTools interface Mbox Mini, two inputs (one for low-Z mic). I record two tracks at once, taking microphone and pickup separately. Pickup gets some EQ to match it better to mic, a cut at 1K and boost at 250 and 4K Hz. To reduce ambient noise I was very close to the mic, maybe 8". This also minimizes any time delay difference between mic and pickup.

A click track at nearly Dudu Maia tempo (132) ensured pauses would be in good time. I always try for complete takes, no patching together from multiple takes (such an ordeal). I don't usually save takes.

For playback I give it a final edit in SoundForge to normalize play level and tweak EQ.

Dudu graciously sent me the score. Here's the first page:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	648BA51E-F203-49E5-BE17-3096D2900EF2.jpeg 
Views:	181 
Size:	490.1 KB 
ID:	185771
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud

5. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

DougC 

Blog Entries

It's amazing how a simple chart can turn into a "sonic wonder" in performance.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile