Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are All Lloyd Loars Dropping In Price?

Default Re: Are All Lloyd Loars Dropping In Price?

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    So Thiele got a Genius Award and spent it on an overpriced mandolin?!��
    Well... not exactly! Thile bought an exceptionally good sounding Feb. 18th Loar which, given his standing in the mandolin universe and his current occupation as host of Alive From Here, seems to be a justifiable expense. I have no idea what Chris actually paid for that mandolin (I believe he had purchased another Feb. 18th Loar several years earlier) but let me just say this in his defense... Chris can do whatever the hell he wants to do with his money! 'Nuff said...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

It seemed to make sense at the time. For years, the best instruments had been steadily going up in value at rates of 10% to 25% a year. Who knew that a few shady "investors" were going to blow up the whole economy by making shady business deals?
    Last edited by rcc56; May-13-2020 at 1:01am.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    It seemed to make sense at the time. For years, the best instruments had been steadily going up in value at rates of 10% to 25% a year. Who knew that a few shady "investors" were going to blow up the whole economy by making shady business deals?
    History repeats itself. You see these trends over and over again, throughout history. The scary part is that the next generations probably won't have the cash to sustain even today's prices on these items.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

The price of Loars went as high as $240K. This was also at the time house prices about tripled and people had lots of money. Somebody who wanted a Gil, was willing to pay $24K to have it tomorrow rather than wait 7 years. -hence why he stopped taking orders. Im not surprised Loars came back down in value. I am surprised that some top end mandos are still around $20K new.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    ...host of Alive From Here...
    I like that.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Yes, Grisman's Loar(s) would be a hefty price, just because HE owned them. Wonder what John Reischman's 1924 Loar would bring? Guesses? He once told me he's had some offers, but that was some years ago.
    John A. Karsemeyer

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Yes, Grisman's Loar(s) would be a hefty price, just because HE owned them. Wonder what John Reischman's 1924 Loar would bring? Guesses?
    Those two mandolins belonging to David are the instruments that launched a million mandolinists. Both extraordinarily great Gibson F5 mandolins... used on countless, important recording sessions spanning almost 50 years of time and space ;o)

John's F5 is certainly one of the greats as is John himself, but his F5 would probably find a collector in the $250K-$500K range. Maybe. I'm just speculating on all of these prices. In the end who knows? Given the current economic conditions my estimates may be way too optimistic.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

I think a million is probably optimistic. I'm thinking $500-700k. Maybe $250-300K for Reischman's.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

I like the fact that Im poor. I can only afford what Ive been able to aquire. So what ever something is worth is what another is willing to pay.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slimt For This Useful Post:

For a little perspective, Carter Vintage has 3 Loars for sale. Two for $150K, one for $90K.
    John A. Karsemeyer

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    For a little perspective, Carter Vintage has 3 Loars for sale. Two for $150K, one for $90K.
    7 signed Loars, the 90k one has had a complete refinish.
    https://cartervintage.com/collection...ice-descending

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doc holiday For This Useful Post:

hankJAKsgarrity 

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    Hadn't looked at their site in awhile. Wow!! And they have 3 H5s! I mean, aren't there only 15-20 known signed H5s? If I was Loar shopping I know where I'd be headed!

Gruhn’s has a Feb. 18 ‘24 Virzi that looks pretty issue-free listed for 115k. “Motivated seller.”
    I’d wager that with a desire to buy, and 100k in your pocket, you could have a pick of several Loars right now.

My predic-a-shuns:

Within 10 years, we'll see signed Loars with asking prices under $100k.
    Within 20 years, those asking prices will drop to under $75k.
    Perhaps 'way under....

Quote Originally Posted by J.Albert View Post
    My predic-a-shuns: Within 10 years, we'll see signed Loars with asking prices under $100k. Within 20 years, those asking prices will drop to under $75k. Perhaps 'way under....
    Won't do me a bit of good; I'll be "'way under" by that time, most certainly.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Offer me $200k, for mine.... I'll turn you down... So what is it worth?
    It's all a question of worth to whom.... Pretty silly discussion ref perspective.
    John D

Quote Originally Posted by JFDilmando View Post
    Offer me $200k, for mine.... I'll turn you down... So what is it worth?
    It's all a question of worth to whom.... Pretty silly discussion ref perspective.
    Good point -- I would agree they sell for less than their worth....that is, when you can find a buyer! But, yes, the "intrinsic worth" is still greater, both historically and musically, IMHO.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; May-14-2020 at 1:44am.

I’m not sure the next generation of instrument buyers will be able to sustain prices of even $50k.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

26. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Blog Entries

Well my take is anything is possible with prices with Loar's etc...Unless someone that has one seriously needs the money I highly doubt they'll take less than 100K for a clean, nice, well worn Loar? I know of a few cases where a Loar buyer is in pretty deep as they paid quite a load of cash for one 175-250 and they're finding out they can't sell for that price and the mandolins are just sitting in a shop. If I needed the money I wouldn't sell mine-I'd sell everything I had if it meant holding onto it so I could pass it on?

Its true that the majority of younger players will not be able to afford them, as there are so many choices today for great mandolins but still only so many Loar signed instruments. I just wonder because the collectors and players that bought them way back in the proverbial day are getting up there in age so what happens when they have passed away-will they be left for family or will the market be flooded all at once? Its all weird to me and probably scary for those who paid a ton as an investment for their or families future?

What’s it worth?
    Depends on whether your buying or selling. And like I’ve said before, ”Askin’ ain’t sellin’”.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    ... the collectors and players that bought them way back in the proverbial day are getting up there in age so what happens when they have passed away ...
    I'd say that in a not-insignificant percentage of instances, the instruments will go to heirs desperate for cash who sell everything cheap just to pay the bills and feed their kids for a little while longer. Things have been heading in that direction for many decades already.

Such heirs won't necessarily have any personal emotional or financial attachments to the instrument, it would just be yet another of many miscellaneous items to be disposed of (liquidated) to avoid having to find storage space for all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    I'd say that in a not-insignificant percentage of instances, the instruments will go to heirs desperate for cash who sell everything cheap just to pay the bills and feed their kids for a little while longer. Things have been heading in that direction for many decades already.

Such heirs won't necessarily have any personal emotional or financial attachments to the instrument, it would just be yet another of many miscellaneous items to be disposed of (liquidated) to avoid having to find storage space for all that stuff.
    Sad but, I have to agree. The younger generation does not use sterling flatware and consequently sells that for scrap nine times out of ten too. I love it and take care of my mothers sterling and we use it from time to time! My grandchildren won’t give a hoot in Hades about it!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Im sitting on alot of pre war Martins and Gibsons, 50s Les Pauls. And strats. My wife does not care if there here one day or gone the next. My Son is pretty much the same. And as for the money values I dont really care. Not what I bought them for. I bought to have something in life to enjoy. Its gives me that. The time will come when they get moved on. But I wont be around to see it.

Like I said Im poor to a point. But happy poor. And dont expect to to be at the top of the heap over one instrument.

32. The following members say thank you to slimt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    The refinish was done in ‘36 and it looks like a beautiful mandolin. I never would have guessed a refinish would have such an impact on price.
    Last edited by SWS; May-14-2020 at 8:03pm.
    Scott

To the OP:

As a mandolin enthusiast for the last 20 years, I would answer “Yes” to your question. I have wondered the same thing recently. I also don’t recall there being so many available at one given time.

Why is there such a large gap in asking price? I see them listed for prices between 90 and 180.

I see some of us predict the prices will drop. I will predict the prices will increase. Supply is high now, once there are fewer on the market I would imagine the price will climb again.

Please note, I have been trying to predict the winning Lotto Numbers for 30 years, so far I am about 10% right 1% of the time

-Best
    Scott

35. The following members say thank you to SWS for this post: