Thread: Repair question

Default Repair question

Is this something that can be repaired? I don't know what kind of neck joint it is. It's an MK that I purchased new in 04. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r4JLSKj.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	185594

Default Re: Repair question

It can be repaired. Anything can be repaired, it comes down to practicality, value of the instrument, cost of repair and all that. The value of the instrument can also influence the repair method. You can get more info by taking it to a good repair person and getting some ideas and estimates.

3. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Thanks a bunch sunburst.

Yes it can be repaired. As Sunburst inferred, the cost of the repair may well be more than the value of the instrument. If you are thinking of trying it yourself, more information would be helpful. How did it happen? Does the neck appear stable? Is it finish damage only or is their a crack in the wood?

It's def a crack in the wood. I don't know if I want to spend the money to repair it. It was my first mandolin. I would repair it for sentimental reasons more than anything. I played it a long time. I was just wondering what I might be looking at to fix it. I thought maybe it could be glued and clamped. It's a pretty clean crack.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cletusmarley View Post
    It's def a crack in the wood. I don't know if I want to spend the money to repair it. It was my first mandolin. I would repair it for sentimental reasons more than anything. I played it a long time. I was just wondering what I might be looking at to fix it. I thought maybe it could be glued and clamped. It's a pretty clean crack.
    How did it crack? Was it an impact break or under humidified? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    How did it crack? Was it an impact break or under humidified? Just curious.
    I don't really know. I put it up when I got something nicer and didn't look at it for years. I don't think it was under humidified. Prob an impact of some sort.

Does it move if you flex the neck (gently)?

Quote Originally Posted by cletusmarley View Post
    ...I don't know if I want to spend the money to repair it. It was my first mandolin. I would repair it for sentimental reasons more than anything...
    You might be able to get away with a cheap and dirty repair then. If the break can be closed without undue force, some glue and a wood screw might be just the thing. Such a repair can be reasonably well hidden without too much work if it is well planned and well executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    Does it move if you flex the neck (gently)?
    Yeah it moves but it's pretty stiff.