Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Do You Think About This Unique 1 Pc. Back?

Default Re: What Do You Think About This Unique 1 Pc. Back?

I talked to the builder on the phone today, he said that this is some of stiffest Maple he's used, super stable too. The spruce is a wide grained piece which is what he tends to prefer, seems like it is most likely red spruce. I'm sending a deposit on it this week, I'm excited to see it progress. He said the figuring looks really great in person, and he'll make me a video of it when its in the rough just in case I don't like the way it sounds

I'm happy for you and your decision, but would you have considered this piece without an emotional attachment? If it were on a mandolin hanging on a shop wall, would the figure meet your heart's desire?
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I'm happy for you and your decision, but would you have considered this piece without an emotional attachment? If it were on a mandolin hanging on a shop wall, would the figure meet your heart's desire?
    Good point, but honestly I'm not sure how important the back figure is to me. It is going to have a highly flamed neck and a double vine fretboard inlay, so the back might be out out of place. Realistically though, as long as it meets all of my tonal desires, I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeadFlatpick View Post
    Opinions appreciated
    It would make a really cool board for cutting cheese.

[I]"Kind of looks like a topographical photo of someplace in the desert southwest."[

Way too much green there for that. Especially this time of year.

Eh...

I just can't stay quiet long enough because after reading some comments, I detect a hint of "cringeness" from a few builders.. while they try to be open minded, and humble. We don't know everything and we can't have the maple in our hands. And we always say trust your builder.

But I just wonder why this particular piece is so builld worthy? "In my experience", and I stress that part, maple boards with this figure and grain direction/pattern are almost, not every time, but nearly every time, too heavy for their own stiffness. I didn't say they were "heavy", I'm saying too heavy for their stiffness. Stiffness to mass ratio.

Ok so I said my piece. If your gut was to post a pic and ask us first, then you obviously had some concerns as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    Eh...

I just can't stay quiet long enough because after reading some comments, I detect a hint of "cringeness" from a few builders.. while they try to be open minded, and humble. We don't know everything and we can't have the maple in our hands. And we always say trust your builder.

But I just wonder why this particular piece is so builld worthy? "In my experience", and I stress that part, maple boards with this figure and grain direction/pattern are almost, not every time, but nearly every time, too heavy for their own stiffness. I didn't say they were "heavy", I'm saying too heavy for their stiffness. Stiffness to mass ratio.

Ok so I said my piece. If your gut was to post a pic and ask us first, then you obviously had some concerns as well.
    I appreciate the opinions and concerns, before I talked to him about it I did have some concerns, but he cleared them up over the phone. He uses normal figured maple for most all of his builds like most luthiers, this is one of his first few from this maple board. He said he's using it because its incredibly stiff, some of the stiffest maple he's encountered in his over 20 years of building mandolins. He also said its completely stable, and if I do ever have any issues, its lifetime warranty for craftsmenship and material defects.

TheLeadFlatpick, I believe you posted an earlier thread asking for suggestions regarding a mandolin that would hold its’ value. If that is still your concern, then it is my opinion that a mandolin with that back wood would not meet your criteria. It may be a fine tonewood, I cannot be the judge of that. However, it would likely be a tough sale in the secondary market.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    TheLeadFlatpick, I believe you posted an earlier thread asking for suggestions regarding a mandolin that would hold its’ value. If that is still your concern, then it is my opinion that a mandolin with that back wood would not meet your criteria. It may be a fine tonewood, I cannot be the judge of that. However, it would likely be a tough sale in the secondary market.
    It is less of a concern now, as I'm going ahead and getting what I want now rather than worrying about it not being a good fit. I'm getting all of the features I want now, and while I do still have a slight concern about the nut width (going with a little wider than 1 1/8"),I could always have the neck shaved to be less wide later if I dont like it. I don't plan for that to he the case, but it is possible at least.