What weight strings are best for picking

Question Re: Mandolin strings

42.. ''DEEP THOUGHT'' [h2g2g]

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

3. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Default Re: Mandolin strings

In my opinion there is no single weight that is better for picking than any other weight. So much depends on the specific instrument, an individual's left-hand strength, picking skill, and musical taste. More important in my opinion is to consider the tone of a particular brand/weight combination on your particular mandolin.

The only way to find out what will work best for you is to try some different strings on your mandolin and see which you like best.

One factor to consider when thinking about the gauges of strings to use is the specific construction of your mandolin. If you have a less expensive Chinese import that might not be as solidly built, if you have heavier gauge strings on it, the belly can start to collapse under the tension of the strings. If you have a more expensive, well-built, handmade mandolin that's less likely to happen.

Then there is the concept of tone -- do you want a brighter tone or a darker tone? Do you want a lighter sound or a heavier sound? Do you want the agility necessary to play the Vivaldi Mandolin concertos or do you only need a good solid sound for playing in a contradance band?

5. The following members say thank you to dhbailey for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by karverr View Post
    What weight strings are best for picking
    Start with medium and go from there ! Listen to your ears !

Metal
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

The hunt for the right or even more elusive perfect string can be a long one. That depends on your technique and tonal preference. A standard set of .40-.11 will likely be fine unless you are playing a flat top instrument. Then you would require a .10-.38 set. D'Addario strings are good place to start. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Good advice has already been given.

My remarks are made with F-hole archtop acoustic mandolins in mind.

Having spent no small amount of time and money on various types and configurations of strings for the mandolin my biggest regret is not trying the strings made from Monel at a much earlier point in my journey. From my experience,and in my hands, they sound,feel,and last like no others.

Some may disagree,but D'Addario strings are the proverbial gold standard. They've been around forever and make a huge variety of alloys to try out. Not saying they are the one and only brand to use.

Currently,Curt Mangan monel strings are on my two most played F-style mandolins(.115,.16,.26,.40). They seem to be on a par with D'Addario and come in a set with the exact gauges I prefer.

Jump in on mediums and just "follow your arrow" from there. Find the sound you like and emulate those who make those sounds. Have fun doing that and,eventually,you will begin to shape your own personal style.

Have fun!

While you may receive a variety of answers, the only person who can answer that question is you.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

11. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post: