Thread: KM200S - Is this crack serious?

Default KM200S - Is this crack serious?

Hi folks. So I just finished reworking my bridge on my mandolin, thanks to all the advice received on the previous thread. I feel like it came out pretty good.

I was cleaning up the mandolin getting ready to put the strings back on and try out the bridge, when I discovered this. Can anyone tell me how serious this is? Should I not put the strings back on? I am so bummed - I have only had this mandolin for two months, and it hasn't fallen or anything, so I'm assuming it was there all along.

Sue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200507_154749.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	325.9 KB 
ID:	185550   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200507_153803.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	185551  

Default Re: KM200S - Is this crack serious?

Without knowing what the neck joint is it's hard to tell how serious the situation is.
    What brand is the mandolin? (That might let us know what kind of neck joint was used.)

It's a Kentucky KM200S 1998.
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; May-07-2020 at 8:26pm.

If there appears to be a crack or movement along the sides, it would probably indicate the neck is moving. The crack or separation in your photo is at the joint where the maker used a heel button instead of extending the back over the heel of the neck. It may be more of an aesthetic issue than functional. How does the instrument fret up the neck (all of the frets)? If there is movement from the neck joint, it usually affects the fingerboard/frets.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    It's a Kentucky KM300S 1998.
    Sorry, I couldn't see the thread title while I was reading so I didn't know what kind of mandolin it was. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what neck joint was used in a KM300S. The cracks appear to be in the finish and appear to be caused by slight movement at the neck joint. It may not be a problem or it may indicate potential trouble, depending on the joint.

6. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

There is a bit of a crack on one side (the E string side) but not the other. I tried to show it in the first picture, but it's pretty slight. I really had to use magnification to fully see it. It's really just kind of a line, not really separation. Second question is a little hard to answer. I have the strings and bridge off right now, as I was sanding down the bridge to correct for a high action. Before I took everything apart, the intonation seemed pretty good, but I didn't go way up to the last frets.
    Thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    It's a Kentucky KM300S 1998.
    Fat fingers. It's a Kentucky KM200S not Kentucky KM300S. I fixed the other reply

That model Kentucky doesn't have the neck joint riser that you typically see on a dovetail neck joint. I would suspect it's not a dovetail and may even be even held by a couple of dowel rods. This model could hold up for a good while or could fail given the right environmental conditions. I know for a fact that many of the economy priced instruments use the dowel joint method. They often fail if they take a hit and the string tension will pull them apart. I would keep an eye on your neck to see if there is any more movement after you string it up. Play it as long as you can and start a replacement fund. Good luck!

10. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

Thanks for your insight, Jim. I suppose I shouldn't be fully surprised. I previously saw a post where a KM-140 was fixed with a big screw, and I actually bid on Ebay on a KM-150 that had been fixed similarly. I will hope and pray that this does not progress rapidly. I'm glad that the action should be much lower when I put things back together, and the strings I have to put on are light. I imagine dry humidity at this point would be bad? Luckily summer is coming and woodstove season is about over here in New Hampshire.

One thing I have to say is I am learning alot from this mandolin.

Sue, You're welcome. Glad you're excited about learning. Extreme dryness is not good for instruments, causes wood shrinkage that can affect joints, wood cracking, etc. I guess it's not good for humans either. I hope it all goes well with your mandolin!

KM-140 was fixed with a big screw
    I had fixed a few (mandolins and guitars) that have loose neck joint by putting a screw from inside thru the headblock and end with the neck joint (make sure the screw does not pop outside). This was done by removing the end pin, then use a long screw driver to drill a hole in the headblock ready for the screw. Finally put in the screw !!! Tricky but can be done without having to remove the back or remove the neck from body.

After putting the strings back on and playing for a few hours, the crack looks unchanged, which I am happy about. Hopefully it will continue that way. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Any repairs involving screws, either from the inside or the outside, are way out of my league.