Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement Tuning Machines

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Default Re: Replacement Tuning Machines

I have used Waverlies, older Schaller, Schaller GrandTune, Rubners, Stew Mac golden age, Stew Mac restoration tuners. The earlier golden age tuners were problematic, but they fixed most of the problems and I used quite a few sets that were good, no problems. However, I recently used a set of golden age vintage copper and they are very stiff so won't be using them any more. There is no real alternative to the restoration tuners, so they are the go to tuners for vintage mandolins. Currently I am using Schaller GrandTune. The earlier Schaller GrandTune tuners were super critical of hole spacing, and I nearly gave up on them. However, the new sets I have been getting are excellent and I would be hard pressed to tell the difference from Waverly if blindfolded. The old Schallers were ok, but the GrandTune's are much better. Nothing wrong with Rubners, but there has been an availability problem so I have not used a set in a while.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

2. The following members say thank you to peter.coombe for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Replacement Tuning Machines

Hi Peter, Your post is very enlightening. I will remember to contact you if I am ever thinking of changing out tuners on another mandolin!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"