Thread: pickup/mic vs. studio condenser microphone on a Collings MF 5

Default pickup/mic vs. studio condenser microphone on a Collings MF 5

Here is what a fine dual source system sounds like compared to a high end studio condenser microphone. I took my well worn Collings MF5 equipped with a K&K pickup / DPA 4061 attached mic and a Schopes MK4 small diaphragm condenser microphone for a short comparison.

https://youtu.be/cbcveVqJWo8

Ellis F5 Special Deluxe custom
    Anton Krutz F5
    Lawrence Smart H 5 Mandola
    Gibson K 2 Mandocello
    Northfield mahogany arch top Octave Mandolin

guitars, banjo, dobro, weissenborn, pedal steel, fretless bass, upright bass

2. The following members say thank you to mando-bob for this post:

Default Re: pickup/mic vs. studio condenser microphone on a Collings MF 5

Love it man!!

The Schoeps is my hands down favorite sound for acoustic guitar; sounds great w/ your mando. Pleasantly surprised by the blended signal- was it hard to get it phase aligned or was it good as is?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Infield View Post
    Love it man!!

The Schoeps is my hands down favorite sound for acoustic guitar; sounds great w/ your mando. Pleasantly surprised by the blended signal- was it hard to get it phase aligned or was it good as is?
    Hey,
    thank you very much - glad you like it !
    Oh yes, the Schoeps is such great mike, no doubt. Love it like I love my old KM84s. Often hard to decide cause both mikes are so great on guitar, mandolin ... but: No complaints on that level.
    Phase was good as it is - I didn't do anything.
    Cheers, Bob
    Anton Krutz F5
    Gibson K 2 Mandocello

pickup senses sound board vibrations , loud pub gig ? that may be OK.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Wonder what that mandolin sounds like thru a external mic. Both tests sounded thin or trebley ( is there such a word) to me. Sustain is unnatural also. If you’ve ever picked a guitar thrower up with your ear against the body, you know that takes away the depth of the instrument. I think a mounted mic does the same thing. A ribbon mic is my preference for about any acoustic instrument.JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Wonder what that mandolin sounds like thru a external mic. Both tests sounded thin or trebley ( is there such a word) to me. Sustain is unnatural also. If you’ve ever picked a guitar thrower up with your ear against the body, you know that takes away the depth of the instrument. I think a mounted mic does the same thing. A ribbon mic is my preference for about any acoustic instrument.JMHO
    Hey,
    thanks for your contribution - some questions ...
    There is an external microphone in this comparison - maybe you missed it. And can you explain what you mean by saying "sustain is unnatural" ? What is the unnatural part of sustain ? And the mounted mic used here is an omnidirectional, so it picks up sound from every direction while being free of any proximity effect. That's why I prefer the DPA 4061 over any other clip on mic. So it's not like "ear against the body".
    Yes, a bit bright to my ears as well - brand new strings on mandolin here, not my preference. And yes, I love a ribbon mic on mandolin. But it colours the sound of the instrument much more then a decent condenser mic. The Schoeps I used in the vid is very true sounding, which makes it my first choice for vids like that, where listeners should get a detailed impression of the instrument. When recording I often chose a ribbon.
    Anton Krutz F5
    Gibson K 2 Mandocello

short string @ high pitch fades pretty quickly.. Physics..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture