Thread: Kudos to our administrators and moderators

Blog Entries

Default Kudos to our administrators and moderators

The administrators and moderators of fora like this have a thankless job. They have to deal with all of the difficult people in the community. And no matter what call they make in a difficult case, they will be thought to be biased by one side or the other.

Now, I've had my quarrels with at least one of the moderators on this site. But it strikes me that none of the moderators--including the specific one I'm referencing--has ever been mean spirited, personally offensive, biased or held a grudge when I challenged them.

I say all this because I've had a bad experience with moderators on another site who must be 3rd graders still in the sandbox. It just struck me today how good the moderators are here. And they never get thanked.

So: Thank you for the work you do, and for putting in the time to do it, and for doing it so well.*

(*But you were still wrong on that one issue...)
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to belbein For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Kudos to our administrators and moderators

You are absolutely correct, Belbein. This is probably one of the very best sites for positivity and general lack of the nasty trolling and unpleasant posting on so many other sites, and I would say a great deal of this great atmosphere comes from the sensible moderation that goes on. Thanks, guys.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I also want to thank the moderators and administrators for creating and maintaining a site that is helpful, friendly and interesting. It's a thankless job to maintain such a positive atmosphere. I personally really appreciate that when I ask a question that's pretty dumb or make a comment that's pretty lame because of my inexperience or lack of knowledge, the community doesn't jump on me and point it out. People here are really helpful and friendly. This is my favorite forum of any subject for all of the above reasons. Thanks, folks!

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rdeane For This Useful Post:

Right you are, Belvein; the administrators and moderators here are the best. Of the fora I have tried, this is the only one I have stuck with, and I am on here a lot. On the Cafe, the internet's promise of building communities really has been accomplished. We certainly do have a functioning community here. Many of us have come to know each other in ways that go way beyond what one would expect in an online environment. This has been especially apparent in these days of social distancing. I, for one, am truly grateful for my Cafe friends.

So, to Scott, Ted and all the others responsible, a huge thanks. You really do contribute to our well-being.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

8. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Special thanks for the COVID-related content. Enlightening to read about players, builders and retailers working under social restrictions.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Agreed. These are among the best I've dealt with on the internet. And are the best in the music groups. Long may they prosper and keep a steady hand upon this group of folks.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Best site ever, thanks and keep up the good work!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I’ve been a cafe goer for years and I have to say this is the site which has consistently put a smile on my face whenever I have visited. Thank you to all you wonderful and welcoming administrator and members. It has become sort of a second home or should I say my virtual home! Just noticed that May 2021 makes this 10 years!!

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Possibly the best moderated site on the web. Always fair. Always helpful. Always clear. And the discussion flows. We ageee we disagree. We learn we teach. Sometimes all at once. You need great moderation for that.

This is my favorite site too, I save coming here as a reward for when I get off work and want to relax and enjoy. Very well-run site!

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    The administrators and moderators of fora like this have a thankless job. They have to deal with all of the difficult people in the community. And no matter what call they make in a difficult case, they will be thought to be biased by one side or the other.

Now, I've had my quarrels with at least one of the moderators on this site. But it strikes me that none of the moderators--including the specific one I'm referencing--has ever been mean spirited, personally offensive, biased or held a grudge when I challenged them.

I say all this because I've had a bad experience with moderators on another site who must be 3rd graders still in the sandbox. It just struck me today how good the moderators are here. And they never get thanked.

So: Thank you for the work you do, and for putting in the time to do it, and for doing it so well.*

(*But you were still wrong on that one issue...)
    I agree this forum is well moderated and sets good expectations for civility. The other board I use a lot (not music related) is loosely moderated and a lot of political acrimony gets through. Sometimes its the mods themselves engaging in that. I have never had a negative experience here

I'll join in the expressions of gratitude and the kudos bestowed on this site. The Cafe is a daily cruise for me, and I don't know what I'd do without it.

Blog Entries

For years I was "blissfully ignorant" of how bad it can get. I have recently spent some time on another site which is not as well moderated as this, and it feels like this place is shelter in a storm.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Excellence is no accident; there is no doubt that all the folks who administer and moderate this site work hard to keep it that way. That they manage to do it so elegantly and nearly invisibly is a testament to their passion for the mandolin community and civil society.

Excellence isn't free either. I hope the recommendation that sellers contribute 2% of their successful sales back to this site is adequate and that everybody participates. When I try to imagine a world without the Mandolin Cafe, there is a giant mandolin-shaped hole in it.
    Clark Beavans