Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One Mandolin - forever...

Default Re: One Mandolin - forever...

I'm keeping my Kentucky 250 because it wouldn't bring me more than a few days worth of groceries. I've had it almost 20 years, but I don't have any sentimental attachment to it. It wasn't a particularly fine-looking instrument to start with. Now it's had the snot beaten out of it; it has dings and scratches and assorted battle scars and nobody would pay enough for it to make it worth packing it in a box and sending it away. On the plus side, it plays really easily and doesn't sound bad.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric F. For This Useful Post:

I dunno, on one hand we certainly can get emotionally attached to an instrument. The sound is a huge part, but there's also the feel of it, the smell of the case when we open it, the memories stored in our heads about playing it live and in jams, etc.

But on the other hand, a mandolin is just a thing. If I found the perfect mandolin tomorrow that just blew me away, I'd probably sell my old favorites to buy it if I could. But that's just part of the sickness that is MAS.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

4. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

kpow 

My Gibson Distressed Master Model that I have had since about 2003. As they say...”til death do us part...”
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

6. The following members say thank you to goose 2 for this post:

kpow 

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

should I ever meet an OM that's better than my Fylde Touchstone, I might reconsider, but this didn't happen for almost 20 years now, so it's unlikely.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

8. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

kpow 

If we include all mandolins played, that makes it a lot tougher. Let's see, there's the great Clark F5, an incredible Gibson Fern, a couple of LaPlant's, Chirps' F4. Hard to say. Might be a Northfield Big Mon I played a couple of months ago at a workshop. The feel in my hands and the sound were just right. The only thing stopping me from buying one is am not really an F person.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

10. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

kpow 

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I really really love my Silverangel Econo A... I worked hard to earn the money for it and custom ordered all the appointments. Outside of that, it sounds amazing. I always tell other folks that to my minds ear, it's just what a mandolin should sound like. And when I play others, they just don't sound right... they may sound really nice, but not like my SA.

On the opposite end of that spectrum, another oddball hobby I have is flying very large kites, and in the kite community, the saying is: the perfect number to own is always n+1; n being the number you already have... I think that rule can apply to mandolins as well.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kpow View Post
    so, I'm a newly, and apologies if this had been covered (or if this opens a can of worms that can't be put back). Given current circumstances, I'm curious - you are allowed to keep one mandolin you've either played or own. That's it. One.

I'll start - while I haven't owned a terribly exciting mandolin, I recently played a Gibson F5-G...it was fantastic...but I haven't had the chance to play all the big-boy mandolins...

you?
    I commissioned my Hodson Djangolin in 2001 back when I used to post here on Mandocafe more than I do now. I still have it but really only used it sparingly after the first few years of ownership. I'll never part with it now that David Hodson has passed. I bought an Eastman several years back that eventually led me to a Buckeye F5. For those curious about the experience of taking the deep dive for a luthier built instrument I posted more here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...home-a-Buckeye!

The Buckeye is a keeper. I've already made arrangements for who gets it should I not make it through this pandemic.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

14. The following members say thank you to Scotter for this post:

kpow 

The only one I have is the one I would keep - a vintage Gibson

16. The following members say thank you to MandoCarter for this post:

kpow 

I rotate my main ones—see my signature below. I agree with Tim Logan that I have acquired each because of its unique voice. The one I have the longest is probably my snakehead which I have owned for over 40 years. I just picked up that one again and keep finding new subtleties in its voice. They I go and get another one like the Campanella, the newest kid on the block. If I was forced maybe I relinquish all but that one at this point. But ask me next year and it may be anther answer.

OTOH I have played the same fiddle for over forty years and I have no problem saying that that is the one.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

18. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

kpow 

There's definitely an element of familiarity that comes into play with the mandolin. Once you get used to the way a certain mandolin feels it's hard to play anything that feels different. I played an Eastman MD-315 for years before the opportunity to upgrade to a Northfield Model M came along. I knew the Model M was a better instrument, but it took me months to really warm up to it because it felt so different from what I was used to. With that in mind, there's certainly no shame into holding onto a mando for life. Hold watcha got!

20. The following members say thank you to cartershilts for this post:

kpow 

My Old Wave oval A

22. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

kpow 

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I'm right on the verge of selling one, keeping the other, and never buying another.

Not rushing to judgement. But it's appealing.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Bernstein For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    I've gone through so many mandolins, but with guitar its been a bit different. I've had my #1 parlor guitar since 2005 and I haven't really gassed over any other one since about a year after that. To me, I have the best acoustic on the planet. This is what I was wanting in a mandolin but kept buying and selling. In hind sight I don't think I ever gave any of these mandolins a fair chance. Some instruments just take time to bond with. In fact when I first received that #1 Parlor guitar, I almost sent it back to the builder cause I didn't like it very much. I made the choice to stick with it for a year before deciding on wether to keep it or not and I'm glad I did. Don't get me wrong I quickly saw the the potential so this made it easier to make the right decision. Anyway, back to the mandolin. I've had some amazing mandolins and they each had something special but I always found myself still keeping my eye open for something else. Finally with this latest mandolin it was an immediate bond and I simply don't want anything else. I don't even want to own two mandolins. I want to play that one and nothing else. I don't care what else is for sale, and have no desire to play anything else. It's a good feeling to be able to finally say that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2462.JPG 
Views:	270 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	185518
    Dem, I can’t read the headstock, what did you finally settle on? I’ve watched your journey over the years of buying and selling and I’m curious what finally grabbed you.
    2014 AL Smart F5
    1988 Givens A
    1921 Gibson A
    2009 Peter Zwinakis Selmer Guitar
    2002 Martin D-18V
    1999 Huss and Dalton CM Custom
    Several Old Fiddles

26. The following members say thank you to Victor Daniel for this post:

kpow 

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

upon reflection. . .

At least the OP didn't ask, "Only one mandolin, forever. . . " Maybe when I'm 90 or so? For now, I'm sticking with my four!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

28. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

kpow 

One of my favorite mandolins is not even an F style..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

30. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

kpow 

Well My Collings MT2 is the probably the best sounding and playing mandolin I have had yet. I like ti because it falls in tone somewhere between a Collings MT-O and a Collings MT. It looks pretty good too.

It took almost four month to get through ADT Postales which is supposed to act as your customs agent. plenty of complaints from Spaniards about their service. I think I wrote ten submissions in Spanish in various before they got off their backsides to let it go through. This is after I had paid import charges at the start of the four month period. Pretty nerve-wracking I can tell you.
    Nic Gellie

32. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

kpow 

I started my mandolin journey back in 2014, and have been on the search for mando with the sound in my head. Been through a few (sadly none have been very high end mandos) and I think I found it.

2006 Draleon Royale that i bought almost a year ago. We are still developing our relationship together, but it looks very promising!
    Last edited by Joey Anchors; May-20-2020 at 8:17pm.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

34. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:

kpow 

Hi Joey -
    Is there any chance you could post some pictures please? How would you describe it compared to other mandolins you have tried? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post
    I started my mandolin journey back in 2014, and have been on the search for mando with the sound in my head. Been through a few (sadly none have been very high end mandos) and I think I found it.

2006 Draleon Royale that i bought almost a year ago. We are still developing our relationship together, but it looks very promising!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

36. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

kpow 

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    Hi Joey -
    Is there any chance you could post some pictures please? How would you describe it compared to other mandolins you have tried? Thank you!
    Tim,
    Here’s what I’ve noticed so far from owning it. It has a fuller tone across all strings and extremely well balanced.

How it compares to an oval hole: It doesn’t have the tubiness of an oval hole (Owned a MD404 and have played a few vintage Gibson As), nor the wolfy lowend on the open G of one either.

How it compares to an F hole: Doesn’t have that F hole chop sound. Much more sustain, fuller and wet sound.

When everything opens back up I do plan on taking it over to Fiddlers Green to do a direct A/B against some of the heavy hitters they have in stock to see just how good (or bad) she sounds.

I was lucky to get this as they seem to be rare.

P.S. I’ll post pictures tomorrow when I have some good day light.
    Waterloo WL-M

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joey Anchors For This Useful Post:

Here are some quick photos on the Draleon.

Name:	9506187A-9EA9-49F9-832D-901BAEF857E6.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	185973

Name:	8CEA4DB6-F9BE-452F-B304-D9749F7FC6AF.jpeg 
Views:	137 
Size:	536.2 KB 
ID:	185974

Name:	AA510913-E952-41B9-B4AE-56A82F95BE31.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	591.5 KB 
ID:	185975

Name:	134FA3AF-31D2-47EB-9441-D5D655F0CC22.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	641.5 KB 
ID:	185976
    Waterloo WL-M

40. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:

kpow 

Hi Joey -
    Thank you for the information and pictures. It’s really a very nice looking mandolin! I will have to do some research and learn the maker’s history. Quite cool!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

42. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

kpow 

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    Hi Joey -
    Thank you for the information and pictures. It’s really a very nice looking mandolin! I will have to do some research and learn the maker’s history. Quite cool!
    The maker is Century Strings. I emailed them about a case for this (as the one it came in was old and had seen better days) and they never got back to me.

I don’t know if that means they aren’t making them anymore or what.
    Waterloo WL-M

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joey Anchors For This Useful Post:

Joey - scroll down this thread to the long post by the Draleon designer. Good Ino:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Draleon-Royale

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Daniel View Post
    Dem, I can’t read the headstock, what did you finally settle on? I’ve watched your journey over the years of buying and selling and I’m curious what finally grabbed you.
    I know but, I don’t think it’s my place to tell.
    Demetrius, let the world know buddy!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post: