Thread: 10 Tunes in 9 Keys by David Grisman

Default 10 Tunes in 9 Keys by David Grisman

This was a little tabulature booklet that David put out in the 1970s around the time he started the "Mandolin World News" publications. I expect I am not the only one here who is old enough to remember those days when it was hard to get mandolin tabs or just general information. Anyway, does anyone here happen to have a copy of the subject booklet? Some years ago my copy went missing. I am now struggling to remember the B part of "Durham's Reel" (or Durham's Bull"). The version in David's booklet is very appealing and I like it much better than other versions from Mandozine or elsewhere. Something about the descending scale patterns is very appealing. I used to play it but now cannot remember how the last half of the B part goes. Old age brain fade.

So, if anyone here on the Cafe just happens to have a copy, I would really appreciate it if you would scan the page containing Durham's Reel (or Bull, whichever is) and post it. I am only asking for the one tune, not the whole booklet. Thanks in advance.

.....Rickker

Default Re: 10 Tunes in 9 Keys by David Grisman

Quote Originally Posted by Rickker View Post
    This was a little tabulature booklet that David put out in the 1970s around the time he started the "Mandolin World News" publications. I expect I am not the only one here who is old enough to remember those days when it was hard to get mandolin tabs or just general information. Anyway, does anyone here happen to have a copy of the subject booklet? Some years ago my copy went missing. I am now struggling to remember the B part of "Durham's Reel" (or Durham's Bull"). The version in David's booklet is very appealing and I like it much better than other versions from Mandozine or elsewhere. Something about the descending scale patterns is very appealing. I used to play it but now cannot remember how the last half of the B part goes. Old age brain fade.

So, if anyone here on the Cafe just happens to have a copy, I would really appreciate it if you would scan the page containing Durham's Reel (or Bull, whichever is) and post it. I am only asking for the one tune, not the whole booklet. Thanks in advance.

.....Rickker
    PM Sent.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Thanks for the PM and attached file, Chris. Worked great, went into my Dropbox. Now working on the tune. Much appreciated.
    ....Rick

Way cool book...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10 tunes in 9 keys_cover.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	568.6 KB 
ID:	175072  

5. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

As is this one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bluegrass_Mandolin_Solos_cover.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	639.5 KB 
ID:	175073  

7. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Yes, great stuff and invaluable to those of us who aren’t good at learning tunes and breaks by ear.
    ....Rickker

Hi Chris I too am now searching for this book. Still have that pdf laying around