Thread: Bridge for flat top mando

Default Bridge for flat top mando

Hey folks, I have a great little 4-string flat top, carved back mandolin a buddy of mine made, and I'd like to get a new bridge or an adjustable bridge for it. Any suggestions? All my usual equipment sources seem to only sell carved top bridges. Radiused would be nice, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

Default Re: Bridge for flat top mando

A good place to start is at Elderly's in Lansing Michigan

http://elderly.com/accessories/cats/MPBG.html

The link should take you directly to their mandolin bridges. About half way down the page are what you may be looking for. You probably won't find an adjustable for a flat top because they are easy to shim. I would love to know if anyone does make one.

You might try looking at the Red Henry page as well; if you're at all handy you can download a template and make one.

http://www.murphymethod.com/redbridge.html

I was just writing about this on another thread. Problem with flattops is that they typically don't have a raised fretboard or just a whole lot of back angle so the height of the strings at the strings at the bridge is relatively low as compared to typical arched top mandolins. The adjustable bridges on used on an arched top will not work on the average flattop. You said a friend made the mando so I don't know if this scenario fits.

I modified an adjustable bridge from an old monkey wards for my flattop but I made alot of compromizes in the thicknesses of the saddle and the foot to get it to fit. I really like it though. This mando changes alot from season to season and it is nice to be able to make adjustments.

The suggestion that you make one of your own by having a look at Red Henry's site is a good one. Look at Frank Ford's site Frets.com for his 'lightweigh bridge' pattern as well. In a way you're lucky in owning a 'flat top' instrument.You can experiment with various woods,bridge thicknesses etc. & maybe come up with the best design for your personal instrument,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks folks. I think I have the situation in hand. I spoke with Steve at Cumberland Acoustics, and now that he's producing flat top mandolins, he also makes bridges for them. I've got one on the way. Between the old bridge and the new one, I should be able to make something work. Never thought a four string would be so much fun, unless it was an electric. Thanks for all your suggestions, now I have a plan B if this doesn't work. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

Looks like I'm 12 years late to this party. But I'm in the same boat. So, Frank- I'm wondering what your solution was. I'm not handy enough to make anything myself. I'd like to find a bridge with thumbwheels for a flat top I just purchased. Any ideas? Thanks!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stomp Freeman View Post
    Looks like I'm 12 years late to this party. But I'm in the same boat. So, Frank- I'm wondering what your solution was. I'm not handy enough to make anything myself. I'd like to find a bridge with thumbwheels for a flat top I just purchased. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Contact Steve at Cumberland Acoustics. He uses adjustable bridges on his Redline Traveler flattops and can probably help you if the clearance on your mandolin is good:

https://cumberlandacoustic.com/contact-us/

Alternatively, Vern Brekke might be able to help with an adjustable flattop bridge (though no thumb wheels):

http://bridgerproducts.com/brekke_mandolin_bridges
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5