Thread: At what point in your build should you avoid heat and humidity

Default At what point in your build should you avoid heat and humidity

Hi - pretty much stated in the title, but as we enter summer in North Carolina, where it's not uncommon to see 95+ temperature and 90% humidity, at what point during construction should you treat your instrument like a finished product and avoid extreme conditions?

My garage is my workshop, and it does not have insulation or air conditioning.

Thanks,
    Alex

Default Re: At what point in your build should you avoid heat and humidit

I'm also in NC, and even though my workshop is insulated, I bring into the house all the wood every day when I'm done working. I figure its safer in the house than in the temperature and humidity fluctuations in the workshop.

Your wood should be somewhere around 8% moisture from the time you begin cutting out parts until you have the finish applied. That means, you should maintain proper conditions of relative humidity throughout the build process.
    We can get away with moderate swings of temperature and relative humidity, especially if they are not long-lasting (it takes a little while for wood moisture content to change in response to RH changes), but extreme swings and long term changes can definitely cause problems.

I would assume that you would want to avoid high humidity when wanting glues, varnish, or lacquer to dry.

Some builders who don't condition their whole shop use a conditioned box/closet etc. to store parts in while they're not working on them.

Whoa, glad I checked. I considered the fact that once I began gluing it may be necessary, but not that I will need to keep the raw lumber inside as well. Hope the wife doesnt mind the 8' piece of maple I'm planning on joining.

I'm over in Asheville. Although the shop is climate controlled, I still always try to pay attention to the outside temp and humidity. I usually only close up the boxes during the early spring or fall when the humidity is lowest and consistent for a couple of months.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Will the finished instrument live in a climate controlled environment? If so, then wood shrinkage may affect some of your joints. Perhaps not enough to compromise structural integrity, but maybe visually. Living and building in Florida, I long ago put a little 11,000 BTU window banger in my 16x36 shop which holds the RH around 60% and I don't notice any impact on the electric bill. One thing for sure, my mandos sound better in the lower humidity.