Thread: Any idea where I can find more music like this?

Default Any idea where I can find more music like this?

I love the simple, nostalgic melody and simple chord progression of this song. I would love to know where I can find more music like this. This (recorded in the '90s) is Andrew Bird's take on an early 1900's song. I'm looking for more music like this, be it modern reprises like this one or the early original recordings.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

1940 Gibson L-4T
    2016 Martin TEN515
    2018 Poe Scout #76

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoreThanQuinn For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Any idea where I can find more music like this?

I enjoyed that piece very much. They really have the old-time sound. Search this site for "old time," and also look back on this thread, "Old-Time, Roots, Early Country, Cajun, Tex-Mex", and you'll find plenty. As well, you can search YouTube for "old time mandolin music." Once you find artists you like, search for their CD's or MP3 links on Google. Unless you're named Disney, copyrights have run out on early 20th-Century stuff, so much of this material can be downloaded free from sites like one I get from my library for no charge. For a fairly sophisticated, enjoyable, and contemporary take on old-time music, check out the Carolina Chocolate Drops and Pokey Lafarge. And, going back a few decades, there's the New Lost City Ramblers. That should give you a start.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Perhaps less sparse but the new Compton Blake CD "Gallop to Georgia" - the Tunes of Namour and Smith is of similar nature, a lot of the Norman and Nancy Blake and Rising Fawn String Ensemble recordings remind of this, albums like "Directions", "Fields of November", "Just Gimme Something I'm Used to". James Bryan's "Look Out Blues" and the "First of May" recordings also have this feel ( though less sparse). Gillian Welch "Hell Among the Yearlings" and other recordings of hers are akin as well. Norman Blake and Peter Ostroushko's "Meeting on Southern Soil" to me has relevance . There is a lot of John Hartford that fits here to, although I don't know his catalog well enough to pick the old timey out of the hippie grass. "Hamilton Iron works" might be a good place to start. Though leaning way more towards bluegrass John Reichman's "Up in the Woods" and "Walk along John" might interest you, Joe Weed's "The Waltz of the Whippoorwill" though less Old timey may also be worth exploring.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

That was cool! Great suggestions so far. I would say check out the Anthology of American Folk Music. It’s a collection of early 78’s edited by Harry Smith.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 2E For This Useful Post:

Thanks very much for the suggestions! Sounds like I have quite a few starting points. I'll report back once I've had a chance to check them out. In the meantime, if anyone thinks of any other ideas, feel free to chime in!
    1940 Gibson L-4T
    2016 Martin TEN515
    2018 Poe Scout #76

10. The following members say thank you to MoreThanQuinn for this post:

Ranald 

in hind site Clark Kessinger comes to mind, although he did tend to ornament a bit, would be folkways or something like that
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Clyde Curley and the Oxymorons. I love Cruel Willie.

Some sound clips
    https://www.theportlandcollection.co...the-oxymorons/

You might enjoy something like this...

Or this...

Last edited by Charles E.; May-06-2020 at 6:02pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

That's a nice song. The rhythm strikes me as a little, I don't know, frantic? But I like it a lot. Reminds me of Woody Guthrie, if you substitute harmonica for fiddle:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTnVMulDTYA

Other thoughts: Maybe Charlie Poole? There are original recordings if you are happy with 1920s sound quality, or maybe songs by Charlie Poole performed by modern people:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3LDwqIq50

16. The following members say thank you to A 4 for this post:

Only three videos per post, limit, so here is some more:

For some mandolin content, maybe the Blue Sky Boys:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH2zM30w2dY

This one reminds a bit more of the Andrew Bird you posted:

Let us know if you like any of these, or the above suggestions. It is fun recommending music to people.

18. The following members say thank you to A 4 for this post:

Hey everyone, just want to check back in to make sure you all know that I haven't forgotten about this thread. Thanks again so much for the recommendations. It's been taking me a while work through everything. I just select one at random and listen for a while.

So far the hits for me have been the Blue Sky Boys, Charlie Poole, and Woodie Guthrie. I also have been enjoying the Anthology of American Folk Music, though I confess that the sheer amount of music it contains is overwhelming.

Here are a few of the favorites I've found while exploring your suggestions:

(The second video is supposed to start at 15:43 but I can't seem to get it work.)
    I have a soft spot in my heart for music about Tennessee. My late grandpa was from there and was a musician. Used to go visit him every summer as a child.
    1940 Gibson L-4T
    2016 Martin TEN515
    2018 Poe Scout #76

OK, so what I am getting is that you like songs more than instrumental tunes, and fairly sparse instrumentation without lots of sustain, maybe with slightly sad lyrics, and fretted instruments over fiddle. Among modern performers, that makes me think of Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch:

The original classic recording artists may fit the bill too, so that's the Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers. I'll add one more banjo clip, just because I like it so much and it fits my description above. Here's Fred Cockerham:

Quote Originally Posted by A 4 View Post
    OK, so what I am getting is that you like songs more than instrumental tunes, and fairly sparse instrumentation without lots of sustain, maybe with slightly sad lyrics, and fretted instruments over fiddle.
    I would agree with everything except the underlined. Also, how wonderful that you were able to pick up on all that just from me listing a few things that I liked! I think you may have articulated my tastes in this genre better than I could have.
    As far as the fiddle goes, I love (and play) the fiddle. I think it just so happens that I chose to link songs that didn't have a fiddle, but I just as easily could have, provided that they fit the other qualities you mentioned.
    Can't wait to check out your latest recommendations. I let you know how they strike me!
    1940 Gibson L-4T
    2016 Martin TEN515
    2018 Poe Scout #76

You sound like an excellent candidate for Grayson & Whitter. Here's a sample of their version of Down In the Willow Garden/Rose Conley:

Lots more of their music on YouTube; Grayson supposedly authored Man Of Constant Sorrow, major part of the Oh Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. Also, I believe his grandfather was the "Sheriff Grayson" that arrested Tom Dooley (actually Dula), and indirectly started the 1950's/60's "Folk Music Revival."

For a bit more "uptown" type of fiddle/guitar sound, try Clayton McMichen & Riley Puckett:

And, no fiddle, but if you like the sparse, mournful sound, can't beat the original Carter Family -- too many examples to list...

You have good taste!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Not clear if you're looking for original roots stuff or modern roots-ish.

If you're looking for modern roots-ish, you can look at what's called Red Dirt Music (mostly Texas); there's also some fabulous modern Bluegrass from Canada. There are a whole bunch of singer-songwriters from Texas and surrounds who are writing this kind of stuff now. There's a channel on Spotify thta has some similar-ish stuff: "Blues and Roots," "Grass Roots," etc. If you want true "roots," you can go to "Bluegrass Origins."

It's surprising to me that the "kids" are picking this up and running with it., but they're doing some great stuff. Maybe it's the next iteration of the great folk awakening.

I'm not a Spotify booster--at least, not for money--but i use the free version and I listen to that stuff above all the time. Every now and then they throw something up that I wouldn't have chosen, but that I fall in love with.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

There is a band based out of southwest Virginia called "The Whitetop Mountain Band" that you might enjoy. You can see some of their performances on Youtube, and they have a website, too. They are one of my favorite OT bands. Hope you enjoy them.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanQuinn View Post
    I would agree with everything except the underlined...As far as the fiddle goes, I love (and play) the fiddle.
    I probably should have noticed the original song you linked to had a pretty prominent fiddle line. I think I was distracted by the guitar, which I am still trying to figure out. I really like it, but it seems, I don't know, odd somehow. The tempo is twice what I expect, but I can count the tune that way, too. It seems like the guitarist is playing really up on the beginning of the beat, kind of like Bill Monroe often seems to. To me it sounds like playing on 8th notes instead of quarters, and I *think* it is also playing the eighth note pairs as a long/short combo. And later just big groups of downstroke strums?

Also, the tone is interesting, which is why I suggested Dave Rawlings. It is a sound I associate with f-hole guitars, or maybe regular guitars played way back by the bridge, but I am not a guitar player. That's why I was thinking banjo in making suggestions, because it has that lack of sustain and fast rhythm and syncopation.

I'll make a couple more suggestions, too. This one is a duet, for the sparse instrumentation, and fiddle in a vocal song. About half of that CD are songs, and most are not as bluesy.

And for that driving rhythm, some old-time bands have the banjo uke. Here is another duet, more sedate but with a uke undertone that makes me bob my head:

https://oldtime-central.com/category/musician-profile/ Is a great place to learn about musicians who specialize in old-time music. Especially Billy Martin -- his book of 500 Fiddle Tunes is a great collection of old-time tunes he learned over a career of 50 years listening to older musicians around the country.

His book and CDs can be bought through http://banjobilly.net/

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanQuinn View Post
    I also have been enjoying the Anthology of American Folk Music, though I confess that the sheer amount of music it contains is overwhelming.
    Apologies for being tardy to this party.

If you are enjoying the “Anthology of American Folk Music”…

Jim Kweskin and Geoff Muldaur have an album named “Penny’s Farm “ which offers a somewhat contemporary take on several of those songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcDE...3xFpdLaQfMQ8sE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Heh...fMQ8sE&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHE8...fMQ8sE&index=3

And many more.

Just as a bit of background, Jim Kweskin and Geoff Muldaur were both members of the Jim Kweskin Jug Band back in the 1960s. Both continue to tour (well, at least prior to the pandemic) as a duo and individually. Geoff Muldaur is a fabulous guitar player (Martin produced a signature guitar based on his specs) and composer (one of his well-known scores is the theme to the movie “Brazil”).