Thread: That Stitched band around a case lid

Default That Stitched band around a case lid

I have recently built a custom f style octave mandolin... of course there are no off the shelf options for a case, so I took the plunge to learn a new skill and built a custom arched top case. I have the case covered in Tolex and the upholstery covered in green velour.... I am happy with it... however, there is one component that has me stumped... that stitched band that goes around the lid. I have searched the internet over for a product that I can wrap in Tolex, stitch, and apply to the lid, but I can’t find anything. I have looked for 1.25” wide plastic strips, cardboard strips, felt strips but can’t find anything that is flexible enough to bend around the corners, but ridged enough to Keep its shape to seal the lid.... am I overthinking this? Is there anyone out there that has built your own case and know what to use for that lid band (and where to get it). Thanks in advance.

Default Re: That Stitched band around a case lid

I have no experience with this, but an upholstery shop, or a fabric shop?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    I have no experience with this, but an upholstery shop, or a fabric shop?
    I agree that is a good logical fist place to look.... they use tack strips both out of plastic (for marine use) and cardboard. However, they are typically 1/2” wide and I have seen them 5/8” wide. I have initiated contact with a paper products company to see if I could special order a 1.25” roll... haven’t heard back but doubt that it will bare fruit given that I need such a small quantity. There has to be something off the shelf to use for this! Thanks.

Try a plastics place, something like what they make flexible plastic rulers out of might bear fruit more readily than reaching out to a manufacturer.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Upholstery folks use a light weight plastic sheet to make patterns. Try searching pattern maker plastic sheet, upholstery pattern plastic and see what comes up.

Adam

While this may sound like a wackadoodle idea, what about the "tape" you can buy to put down on stair steps to prevent slipping. Admittedly, it's adhesive on one side and gritty on the other, but it's flexible and durable. You could do away with the adhesive by sticking it to some light cloth. In that you're going to wrap it, the gritty side won't matter.

You could take a wood veneer, I know it is too thin, it is flexible. You could then glue two or three together in the proper shape and it would be strong enough, and it is easy to bend as a single piece. Not sure how it would sew tho, you may have to drill the holes in the veneer after you have the tolex on.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Cafe member Loudloar (Steve Kirtley) has both a Facebook group and a web page that deals with vintage cases. There is some information his website that deals with building cases. You might take a look at the website:

http://www.stevekirtley.org/vintagecases.htm
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBill View Post
    I agree that is a good logical fist place to look.... they use tack strips both out of plastic (for marine use) and cardboard. However, they are typically 1/2” wide and I have seen them 5/8” wide. I have initiated contact with a paper products company to see if I could special order a 1.25” roll... haven’t heard back but doubt that it will bare fruit given that I need such a small quantity. There has to be something off the shelf to use for this! Thanks.
    1.25 wide, is it to be folded down the centre?

I do like the tape idea, but using the adhesive to hold it to the tolex would be a benefit, no?

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. In reply to AndyV... the total width of the stitched band on the several Mando and guitar cases that I have is 1.25 inches (not folded). I ordered a roll of plastic weather stripping (actually it is silicon strip). It was too flimsy. I ordered a sample of 2mm thick polyester felt tape... it was too flimsy also, but the adhesive back was very helpful in getting it sewed together. .. But, there is another type of felt called “banner felt” that Is stiffer. I have a sample of that on the way. I feel my OCD kicking into full gear... no doubt that I am making this harder than it has to be!

That is a great link! I have emailed Mr. Kirtley to see if he can give insights on what the manufacturers use. Thanks - Bill

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Cafe member Loudloar (Steve Kirtley) has both a Facebook group and a web page that deals with vintage cases. There is some information his website that deals with building cases. You might take a look at the website:

Mike, why didn’t I think of that just ten seconds earlier!?
    Timothy F. Lewis

14. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

So, just to put a bow on this thread, I got in touch with Steve Kirtley and he filled me in on how case valances are applied and how it has evolved over the years... BTW, that stitched band around a case lid is called a valance... Thanks to all that replied!

16. The following members say thank you to BamaBill for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBill View Post
    So, just to put a bow on this thread, I got in touch with Steve Kirtley and he filled me in on how case valances are applied and how it has evolved over the years... BTW, that stitched band around a case lid is called a valance... Thanks to all that replied!
    Dude. Now that you've got us started, inquiring minds want to know! How IS the valance applied?

Seriously! Don’t leave us hanging!!
    Chuck

If you're on Facebook take a look at Steve's Vintage Case page. The picture is there. It's probably also on Steve's site listed above.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

If you're on Facebook take a look at Steve's Vintage Case page. The picture is there. It's probably also on Steve's site listed above.
    Yeah, we don’t need Mike to do ALL the work!
    You are indeed one of a kind Mike!
    You have kept a smile on my face through all this misery, thanks pal!
    Timothy F. Lewis