Thread: PLEASE HELP! ABS Binding Bending Problems First Time Builder

Registered User Yosemite Picker's Avatar

Default PLEASE HELP! ABS Binding Bending Problems First Time Builder

Hello everyone!

First of all I just want to thank everyone on this forum! I’ve been reading it for years while dreaming of building a mandolin someday and now the time is finally here. The wealth of information and the generosity and kindness of everyone to share ideas and experiences here has been awesome to watch and now to be a part of! Hope I’m worthy to join the family.

I’m a first time builder trying to make an F5 mandolin from the Roger Siminoff book. I’ve been trying to build it while I’m at home for The Corona Quarantine and have been pretty lucky so far with plenty of mistakes, re-dos and learning curves to make it fun. I’d love to post more on the process and build but for now the binding has me at a stand still. At the beginning I thought the dovetail neck joint would be the crux (and indeed it scared me the most and it didn't end up perfect, but I strung it up last week to test it and it didnt pop off so im happy with it!) but this binding is kicking my ass! And yea, Ive read a lot about how nothing on an F5 (or any instrument) is easy, but that's why Im doing it! haha

As for my question. I’m using the cream and black ABS plastic binding from Stew MAC. I laminated a .02 cream/.02 black/ .06 cream together with acetone and let them sit for two days. I made a block with a cut down the top to use as a laminating jig to pull it through like the stew max binding jig thing. I used the same process for laminating .02C/.02B/.02C for the fretboard binding and had no problem at all. Little learning curve to bend it around the bottom of the "toe scallop" but otherwise I'm very happy with how it came out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3380A3F-560C-40F6-AEC6-CB1B3378A3E2.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	516.8 KB 
ID:	185464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2FF600A9-6D9F-4C25-B585-3E5059C75C49.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	480.8 KB 
ID:	185465

Now that I'm trying to bend the body binding around the scroll areas, I'm not having any luck at all. I've tried using a hair dryer and boiling water to no result. With the hair dryer, if its not hot enough it cant bend tight enough without cracking white at the pressure line. If it's hot enough, the inside .02 cream piece and sometimes the .02 black as well kinks and buckles when bent tight enough. When I use the boiling water i get the same exact problems respectfully but then also if too hot the middle laminate starts to boil and bubble causing these ugly spots in the binding. I think this may have happened a little with the hair dryer too when it got too hot once.

Now I just tried to use the hair dryer very slowly heating 4-6 inches first and then slowly bending over a socket back an forth like bending the maple rims slowly and surely but the laminate just de laminated on me as it got tighter. Then I tried to use acetone to pull them apart and try laminating them one by one on the binding edge but they just broke off.

Name:	B51521DA-3D3C-457A-B059-0DDAA19161B6.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	645.8 KB 
ID:	185461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1D45C80-0094-419A-9EC3-345FA80F7D15.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	642.1 KB 
ID:	185462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5CA6A37D-D80A-4767-90F7-AF1EF1BA55AD.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	545.7 KB 
ID:	185463

Ive tried everything but the sand/glass beads in the hot plate which I don't think will actually be different in regards to the laminate binding and kinking at the tight bends. I've taken 3 days slowly trying one method, then another, heating slowly and easily, still no luck.

Is celluloid binding REALLY that much different in its handing characteristics? Obviously Ive tried to read everything I can find here about it and there's clearly a "majority opinion" that celluloid/ivoroid binding is "better"/more often used while ABS "is wonderful sewage pipe", and I see more builders that actively post using celluloid, but then in Tomy Hovington's video on binding a triple laminate f style mandola he's using the ABS plastic binding, puts in the the boiling water and just twists it up with some pliers??? Only thing I can think of is maybe he's using thinner laminates? This part is at 4:40 in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwEMcsqiTOM

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for you time!. For now I'm tacking and shifting sails towards inlaying the peghead. If I need to I'll order some new binding from stew mac.

Default Re: PLEASE HELP! ABS Binding Bending Problems First Time Builder

From my experience, I cannot bend binding that I’ve laminated. I’ve bent the black/white binding to shape and the then the tortoise or whatever binding to fit and then glued them in place. If you buy the binding from Bill James that is laminated, it bends so much better. I hope this helps.

3. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

hank 

Thanks Skip, I really appreciate it! I’m also thinking doing the laminate in layers may be better. Perhaps I’ll order some more binding and try doing it that way?

Looks to me that the areas where you laminated it are "fatter" (have absorbed solvent) and softening at a lower temperature than the rest of the laminated binding. Let it sit for a few weeks and it should be better. Though the two materials may actually be two different resins, and even 10 degrees difference in temperature can affect different resins dramatically. Maybe pre-bend and laminate after getting the approximate shape right, then re-bend slightly?

6. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

I prefer celluloid binding. I've never been a big fan of ABS binding. ABS feels and acts like PVC pipe material. Celluloid seems to respond better to acetone - laminating and gluing to wood with acetone/melted celluloid binding "goop". I'm not a fan of the hazardous material shipping charge for celluloid. However, I don't think the problem here is celluloid vs. ABS.

I agree with Marty Jacobson, there's a mismatch or less than fully cured lamination happening. I have also never had great results with trying to do both layers of binding at once. It takes a bit longer, but I get better results with a two pass approach; the first pass with the inner white/black and then adding the outer ivoroid layer. I use little bits of wood under the tape to better press the inner layer across the binding ledge and the outer layer tight to the curves. You can just see the wood bits in the photos. I used doubled up layers of masking tape. It's also a good idea to heat the tape with a hair dryer on the spruce top prior to pulling it up. The tape likes to pull up spruce fibers. Pull up the tape at 45 degrees or so to the grain.

Andrew Mowry wrote an excellent article on mandolin binding in American Lutherie Spring 2013/#113. Andrew does his binding in one pass, but there's still a wealth of information.

Name:	Inner Layer.jpeg 
Views:	189 
Size:	336.4 KB 
ID:	185473

Name:	Outer Layer.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	185474

Name:	Wood Bits.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	555.7 KB 
ID:	185475

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bpatrick For This Useful Post:

Thanks Marty and bPatrick! Very thankful for your responses!

When I laminated the pieces together they looked perfect after I scraped a little off the top to check. After bending all the pieces up to the scrolls the laminated also seemed fine. It wasn’t until the scroll where I was (assumedly) overheating the plastic did I get the bubbling and inconsistent thicknesses. I’m also looking closely at the laminate I have problems with delaminting and it may have been pressed too hard on the bottom and the top half wasn’t pressed together along the length so that may be the delaminating issue I’m having.

Name:	1EB19D55-33D0-40DA-B84E-F1CE0AE59E2D.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	185476

From what you all are recommending I’m leaning towards ordering new binding and trying to glue it in two passes and laminating in steps. I’m going to try and bend and laminate some scrap pieces I have left over to see if I have anClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1EB19D55-33D0-40DA-B84E-F1CE0AE59E2D.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	185476y luck with the ANS. If not maybe I’ll just order some celluloid. If I order from stew Mac, it looks like I’ll still have to add a black ABS strip with the two Celluloid patriots. Does that sound right?

Thanks again so much for all the help!

The scroll will definitely be a test of lamination. It appears that Stew Mac does not have white/black celluloid strips. lmii.com or axinc.net are alternative sources. Unfortunately, the cost of celluloid has gone up and then there's the additional hazardous materials charge...the stuff's not inexpensive these days.

11. The following members say thank you to bpatrick for this post:

I agree, the scroll is definitely a test. Initial thought was I could make at least a similar sounding instrument for what I could buy for $500 and in the end it’d be exactly what I wanted aesthetically and I made it. That alone makes it priceless. At this point I’ve only put in $380, started with some pieces of wood and have made everything except the pre slotted fretboard blank and metal parts (I did made the truss rod from bar stock and nuts). I’m more than happy with everything so far and DO NOT mind paying extra if the celluloid is the right tool for the job.

I just tried bending the ABS in two goes and had a little better results but still not happy with it. Since I’ll have to get new binding at this point I think I’m going to try the celluloid. I’ll give LMII and Axiom a check. I spent 3.5 days hand carving the binding slots and am not filling them with anything but the best (I can do) at this point!

Thanks again for all the help!

I actually found that just bending with my fingers and NOT heating works best for ABS. Repeated slow bends until the curve is tighter than the scroll around a 1" dowel with just the heat from my thumbs and several passes worked way better than adding heat.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

Thanks steve! I'm assuming that's not a laminted piece of ABS? I cant even get the laminate to bend at all without heat. Ill try some single pieces tomorrow to see how that works.

Some photos of the build so far...

Name:	IMG_3593.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	936.8 KB 
ID:	185480

Name:	IMG_3849.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	185481

Name:	IMG_3842.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	801.3 KB 
ID:	185482

17. The following members say thank you to Yosemite Picker for this post:

That's Black/white/black self-made laminate. For me, it took years to realize that Heat made the bending less regular than just bending with my fingers and some dowels at 98.6 degrees of hand warmth.
    Steve

Like this --

Name:	Close binding.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	185483
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

I've never had a problem bending laminates that I've made and I only give them a few days to gas off after laminating, but I've never used ABS. One thing that helps avoid kinking of the inner layers it to heat only the outside of the laminate, so the outer layer will stretch, while the inner layers retain more integrity. Less heat is definitely better. Judging from the photos, I'm going to guess that ABS is more difficult to bend than celluloid.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amowry For This Useful Post:

Thanks again everyone! I think I’m going to order some celluloid from LMII today, will see how that goes.

I've not had much trouble at all bending laminated ABS binding strips from Stew Mac. I've not had any cracking and breaking like yours. I laminate with acetone rubbed between the pieces with a small brush, and I press the pieces together hard with my fingers and rub along down the length a short ways. This works better and easier IMO than the jig. I use a hair drier for bending - it's the only method I can get to work. I think in terms of stretching the pieces around the bend. The outer piece will stretch further than the inner pieces. For the tight bends, I do it in three stages - three progressively smaller forms - and let it cool off between each bend. The key seems to be to go slow and not get it too hot. Sometimes the lamination will separate in places. A little acetone and squeezing hard takes care of that. I think it is something that improves with practice.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

24. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Yosemite Picker View Post
    Some photos of the build so far...

Name:	IMG_3593.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	936.8 KB 
ID:	185480

Name:	IMG_3849.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	185481

Name:	IMG_3842.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	801.3 KB 
ID:	185482

Things are looking great! I like your personal touches; they look very nice! It’s going to be a good looking mandolin! I think the problems that I had with heat bending abs binding in the past is as Andrew stated. I heated the inner laminates as well as the outer and it caused wrinkles.

26. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

I'm gathering from these conversations the ABS melts with acetone, is that correct? I've avoided it because I love how nitro cellulose can have an invisible miter joint.
    Richard Hutchings

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hutchings View Post
    I'm gathering from these conversations the ABS melts with acetone, is that correct? I've avoided it because I love how nitro cellulose can have an invisible miter joint.
    I'm certainly not experienced in this topic, or at least I wasn't until this afternoon. I melted some abs in acetone and applied a drop of goo to a binding mitre, voila!
    I can confirm it does melt and hides the mitre.

Yay!!! My next mandolin will sport ABS.
    Richard Hutchings

I have experienced exactly what you are describing, here’s what I did to fix it. I laminate the W,B .020 first and glue onto mandolin then I would adhere the final .060 W after. I’ve tried everything to bend all 3 pieces at once and was never successful. Then I discovered Bill James and his nitro binding. Life changing, very easy to bend with a heat gun...don’t catch it on fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Yosemite Picker View Post
    Hello everyone!

First of all I just want to thank everyone on this forum! I’ve been reading it for years while dreaming of building a mandolin someday and now the time is finally here. The wealth of information and the generosity and kindness of everyone to share ideas and experiences here has been awesome to watch and now to be a part of! Hope I’m worthy to join the family.

I’m a first time builder trying to make an F5 mandolin from the Roger Siminoff book. I’ve been trying to build it while I’m at home for The Corona Quarantine and have been pretty lucky so far with plenty of mistakes, re-dos and learning curves to make it fun. I’d love to post more on the process and build but for now the binding has me at a stand still. At the beginning I thought the dovetail neck joint would be the crux (and indeed it scared me the most and it didn't end up perfect, but I strung it up last week to test it and it didnt pop off so im happy with it!) but this binding is kicking my ass! And yea, Ive read a lot about how nothing on an F5 (or any instrument) is easy, but that's why Im doing it! haha

As for my question. I’m using the cream and black ABS plastic binding from Stew MAC. I laminated a .02 cream/.02 black/ .06 cream together with acetone and let them sit for two days. I made a block with a cut down the top to use as a laminating jig to pull it through like the stew max binding jig thing. I used the same process for laminating .02C/.02B/.02C for the fretboard binding and had no problem at all. Little learning curve to bend it around the bottom of the "toe scallop" but otherwise I'm very happy with how it came out.

Name:	D3380A3F-560C-40F6-AEC6-CB1B3378A3E2.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	516.8 KB 
ID:	185464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2FF600A9-6D9F-4C25-B585-3E5059C75C49.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	480.8 KB 
ID:	185465

Now that I'm trying to bend the body binding around the scroll areas, I'm not having any luck at all. I've tried using a hair dryer and boiling water to no result. With the hair dryer, if its not hot enough it cant bend tight enough without cracking white at the pressure line. If it's hot enough, the inside .02 cream piece and sometimes the .02 black as well kinks and buckles when bent tight enough. When I use the boiling water i get the same exact problems respectfully but then also if too hot the middle laminate starts to boil and bubble causing these ugly spots in the binding. I think this may have happened a little with the hair dryer too when it got too hot once.

Now I just tried to use the hair dryer very slowly heating 4-6 inches first and then slowly bending over a socket back an forth like bending the maple rims slowly and surely but the laminate just de laminated on me as it got tighter. Then I tried to use acetone to pull them apart and try laminating them one by one on the binding edge but they just broke off.

Name:	B51521DA-3D3C-457A-B059-0DDAA19161B6.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	645.8 KB 
ID:	185461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1D45C80-0094-419A-9EC3-345FA80F7D15.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	642.1 KB 
ID:	185462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5CA6A37D-D80A-4767-90F7-AF1EF1BA55AD.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	545.7 KB 
ID:	185463

Ive tried everything but the sand/glass beads in the hot plate which I don't think will actually be different in regards to the laminate binding and kinking at the tight bends. I've taken 3 days slowly trying one method, then another, heating slowly and easily, still no luck.

Is celluloid binding REALLY that much different in its handing characteristics? Obviously Ive tried to read everything I can find here about it and there's clearly a "majority opinion" that celluloid/ivoroid binding is "better"/more often used while ABS "is wonderful sewage pipe", and I see more builders that actively post using celluloid, but then in Tomy Hovington's video on binding a triple laminate f style mandola he's using the ABS plastic binding, puts in the the boiling water and just twists it up with some pliers??? Only thing I can think of is maybe he's using thinner laminates? This part is at 4:40 in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwEMcsqiTOM

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for you time!. For now I'm tacking and shifting sails towards inlaying the peghead. If I need to I'll order some new binding from stew mac.
    Hey Man, I know what your going through. Just done my first build on a F-5. Been working on instruments for 10-12 years. Found out, I knew nothing..this might help. Only laminate the ends so the will stay together and you won’t wrestling with them. Bend one at a time. Place tape about an inch apart. Use thin CA glue on each section between tape. Use can excell. To dry fast but you may not need it, maybe shoot with some after all taped. Remove tape and repeat glue where tape was. Go easy on glue. You might coat binding channel and edge of top and back with shellac first. If your careful you won’t need to........ It will burn the binding together clean without a visible seam. It works. I have done it on guitars and this mandolin.. Watch video on o’bryan guitars on Youtube. Hope this helps. Remember, the acetone will probably make it so hard it will be impossible to bend cleanly? The CA works on plastic or celluloid binding. Don’t let the miter joints drive you crazy either. Look close, a lot of the joints on the Loars were LAP JOINTS. PS. Your binding looks really thick too?

32. The following members say thank you to justrythym for this post:

Yosemite, I've only completed one mandolin (F5), and I used pre-laminated ABS on it because it was cheaper. It was an infuriating experience, and I had almost all of the same problems you have experienced. I tried the hot water method, heat gun, building a variety of different jigs and forms... I actually don't remember what method ended up giving me the finished result. But I DO remember it was the most frustrating part of the entire build process.

So when I was done I ordered a bunch of plain, ivory celluloid binding. I plan to use that on my next three instruments, so I haven't tried it yet. But everything I have read and viewed indicates that celluloid is much more forgiving and easy to work with. We shall see! Happy to learn along with you.

34. The following members say thank you to putnamm for this post:

Thanks everyone for all the tips and encouragement! I have to agree with putnamm that the binding has easily been the hardest part of this build (for me) by far and I'm hoping that Tom is right and with more practice the process should become easier, hopefully!

So I ended up ordering enough celluloid binding from LMI for at least two mandolins, just incase. I ordered the I/B 25/10 and the I .06 for the two body pieces and .04 for the peghead.

My initial plan was to glue up the body binding in two passes like bpatrick and others suggested hence why I bought the two bindings instead of the single triple laminate from Axiom. I was scared to spend all the money on binding and haz mat shipping fees and get the same problems with the prelamiated single piece. But after using the celluloid binding this time, I'm very interested to try Axiom's pre lam binding on my next build to (possibly) make the miter joints a little easier.

Initial reactions when bending the celluloid binding was that it is DEFINITELY way more forgiving and easier to work with than the ABS binding (from the perspective of a first time builder with no previous knowledge or experience). I noticed that the celluloid does not seem to become more brittle the more you bend and reheat it or over heat it like the ABS seemed to do. It was also a lot easier to make tight bends with, though still needed some practice and time to get things just right.

I tried both the boiling water and hair dryer and used each for different parts. I found the boiling water was easier to bend the scroll sections and tight bends on the heel cap then used the hair dryer for most of the rest of the body curves. I bent both the thin laminated piece and thicker ivoroid bindings separately in preparation to glue them one in two layers.

When I started to dry fit the two pieces together in the scroll area I was worried that if I glued them separately and the inner strip had any gaps or spots where it wasnt seated perfectly, it would mess up the next binding strip also. Another worry was that in gluing the binding in two stages, I had two chances to mess up rather than only one. Or I could mess it ALL up and thats why I bought enough binding for TWO mandolins.

So I decided to glue the two strips together at once, gluing 4-6 inches at a time, waiting an hour and then moving on to the next bit. I bent each piece so they dry fit as good as I was happy with and then started on the back first. I started on the left side of the heel to do a practice run with my glue process to make sure it worked like I wanted it to. I spread a generous coat of Ducco Cement in the binding channel, pressed the I/B strip in the channel, painted acetone on both the black and thick white laminate and pressed them in together, cleaned off the excess glue and taped it tight with regular masking tape and then used an ace bandage to apply pressure while the glue set. After an hour I peeled off the tape and it seemed to work really well for that piece!

I continued the process for the rest of the back and after a full day had the entire back bent and glued in to place. I alternated gluing different sections of binding on while another was wrapped and setting up. Some of the miter joints at the points and the heel cap I ended up gluing in two different steps, laminate first then single thick piece after. I noticed I did have some gaps at the bottom of the heel cal where the first piece wasnt pushed in all the way when it set which is why I was worried about doing that for the entire process. (bpatrick I do like your method with the pieces of wood between the binding and tape but I didnt have much luck with it in the dry fit practice run and was worried about committing to it for this run through but I'm definitely interested in spending the time to try that out another time)

I let the back sit wrapped overnight and pulled off all the tape in the morning and was very happy with the final result. There is definitely gaps between the binding and mandolin in the usual hard to get places but overall the miters turned out pretty well and the acetone laminate between the two binding strips looks great all around. I messed up the miter on one of the points in both the top and bottom but like the "design opportunity", something minor to always remember. Ive been letting it all sit and breathe for a couple days now and will start the binding on the peghead soon before I scrape it all down.

Overall, I'm very happy with the results I had with the celluloid binding! It cost a little more with the shipping but for me, a first time builder, i DEFINITELY found it worthwhile! Considering this has been my biggest problem and only major mess up so far, I'm really happy with the outcome! Plenty of room to improve but I learned a LOT and couldn't have done it without all of your help. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Yosemite Picker; May-21-2020 at 7:14pm.

Name:	IMG_4082.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	186006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4074.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	186007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4090.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	994.7 KB 
ID:	186008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E4117.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	732.8 KB 
ID:	186009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4114.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	405.8 KB 
ID:	186010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4116.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	839.4 KB 
ID:	186011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E4119.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	874.7 KB 
ID:	186012

As a side note, while I was waiting for the binding to arrive I was able to start the inlay on the peghead. I used some mother of pearl shell that my grandma got in Thailand, paduk and yellow heart. I made the yellow disk and red ring with a plug drill and forstner bit then cut out the individual petals of the lotus flower, buddha eyes and nose from the MOP. My first time trying inlay work was the deer antler and paduk pieces in the fretboard and Im really happy with how this came out too! I used paduk and ebony sawdust mixed with epoxy to glue the inlay pieces in. I plan to engrave the black details in just before I spray the finish on.

Name:	IMG_3870.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	186013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3903.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	186014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3923.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	186015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3967.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	186016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3968.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	186017