Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson F5 custom 1966 help advice

Post Gibson F5 custom 1966 help advice

Looking at a Gibson custom 1966 serial 540207 is listed as 1966 Kalamazoo. The mando looks in amazing condition for one so old which is great but also slightly concerning. What worries me pre purchase is that I found an old question on this site from 2015 that detailed a mandolin F5 with the same serial number that poster was trying to find a seller's prices for it so he could put it to market. The history was that it was his fathers old mandolin that he was big in bluegrass back in the 50s I searched the name and found d evidence of the name given for his dad. I emailed him images of the mandolin currently on sale with the same serial but he looked and told me it was not his dad now pre purchased hase concerned. Any help ?

bson-f-5-mandolin-1966-red-brown-burst-ultra-rare-near-mint?_aid=pla_uk&utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=32967139-gibson-f-5-mandolin-1966-red-brown-burst-ultra-rare-near-mint

2. The following members say thank you to Liammyboy1888 for this post:

Default Re: Gibson F5 custom 1966 help advice

There are much better mandolins you can buy for the money you'll spend on that Gibson from that time period.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Hi I appreciate what you say and I agree but that wasn't what I asked. The price paid is a country mile away from what it was advertised at. The.mando is from the year my brother was born and it is a personal gift because he has had a difficult time with stage 5 renal failure luckily received a transplant. I want to make sure that someone hasn't copied an old label onto a later.model. Likely I know but there seems to be confusion around the serial when you read my original post.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Here is the link (it’s local to me): https://www.guitarbroker.com/product...-f-5-mandolin/
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

That is it thank you. I looks amazing and as far as I can read the seller has a good reputation.

Teacher, repair person

I am not an expert on Gibson mandolins from this period, but to me, it does appear to be a '60's Gibson product.
    The '70's models have the squiggly fingerboard inlays and shoddier workmanship.
    The Reverb listing indicates that the seller has a 3 day return policy.

Thank you for the reply I agree it has the hallmark of a 1960s mandolin the Gibson being in block instead of script. I am becoming more confident. what has thrown me was an question on here in 2015 from a guy who asked for a value guide he quoted the make in the it was a custom which this is. He quoted the serial on this mandolin. The mentioned it was his dads and that his dad was a famous bluegrass player from the 50s called Leonard Wright part of the wright family band. However I send him the link to confirm as I was hoping some history to the mandolin he told me it wasn't his DADS although everything matches his original 2015 email it just cast some doubt. I have had a couple more emails from him and I am not sure he is quite on it, with respect. Thanks again.

Teacher, repair person

Gibson was known to be rather haphazard with their serial numbers in the '60's and early '70's.
    Here's a quote from Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars about Gibson serial numbers: "Many numbers from 1963 - 69 appear on more than one instrument."

Wow that's suprised me. The more I find out the happier I feel. I am now sure it will do the job . Thanks for your help.
    Richard

I think that all the F5's from this period had "Custom" engraved on the truss rod cover.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

12. The following members say thank you to John Rosett for this post:

interesting I never knew that. Every day is a school day.

Looks nice! The back kills me though. One half looks quarter sawn flamey, one half almost looks flat sawn plain. No attempt at book matching or any other kind of matching. Guess in those days they just didn’t care about such things. Who looks at the back anyway? But if it floats your boat, I’d say go for it. The seller has a good reputation, in the guitar circles anyway.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Thanks Don for me the quirky bits are what it's all about..history. Listen to this..I searched the serial number across all platforms and I got a hit on a message posted on Mandolin cafe in 2015. it read that a guy was looking to proce it for sale on behalf of his dad who was a musician with a big bluegrass history I ma GED to get the posters email as he included it in his post. He confirmed this morning that it belonged to his now recently disceased dad who was called Leonard Wright shorthand to Len. When I opened the pictures online his dad had managed to write his name inside it alone guide the label but not on it. The guy was a member of the wright family band in the 1950s and had a number 3 billboard with an old bluegrass tune. I the author wrote that it would have gone to NO1 but he radio stations were ordered to stop playing it due to complaints from people affected by what the song was about
    This guy did loads of touring across the states back in the day. In my opinion the history just makes this a great gift which is what it is destined for. Thanks very much for taking the time to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Liammyboy1888 View Post
    Hi I appreciate what you say and I agree but that wasn't what I asked.
    You have to get a feel of how questions are answered around here.......if you ask, I want to buy a vintage USA Gibson F5 -- the answers is: "A new, pac-rim A-style is a better mandolin!"

It took me a while to get onto that, being a vintage guy....

There are also specialized quirks regarding tonegards, blue chip picks, and certain historic picks which are not allowed to be mentioned.......

OTHERWISE, a super great, super supportive group of people willing to share a WEALTH of knowledge and experience. I stop by here everyday and learn a lot!

Hi apologies if I sounded course it wasn't meant in anyway like that. You are so right the information I have received has been so helpful. The story of this mandolin has really grown. Have a wee look at the reply I sent to the last email above. Thanks for taking g the time to post again.
    Regards
    Richard

Blog Entries

A redone old gibson f-12 or f-5 can be a thing of quality that will have resale value as it is a vintage gibson "its a name that has appeal to many"-only so many were made during any era! For sure the kalamazoo builds! I have a 58 f-5 that will put most to shame-granted its had serious work and soon a 61 f-5 i plan on reworking! I'd take them over an import any day but thats me so on the 66 go for it but plan on some work to make her superior as most want steller players and grade aaa sounding f-5's!

Great advice thank you. I have found a local Luthier to give it a once over and set up when I get it. Not an awful lot of Luthiers in Cambridgeshire England. Thanks for the advice appreciated. Richard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    looks nice! The back kills me though. One half looks quarter sawn flamey, one half almost looks flat sawn plain. No attempt at book matching or any other kind of matching. Guess in those days they just didn’t care about such things. Who looks at the back anyway? But if it floats your boat, i’d say go for it. The seller has a good reputation, in the guitar circles anyway.
    there is a 1938 f-5 at retrofret-way overpriced but has the same type back, one side is plain the other has some flame.

Wow 1938 can imagine what that mandolin has 'seen' if you know what I mean. I will check it out. Thank you.
    Richard

Is retro fret an online store or something? I was not familiar with mandolin because I am buying this as a special gift for my brother but sadly I have become slightly obsessed.

Blog Entries

Yes retrofret is a shop in nyc-they have a website just type the name in.

Great thank you.

"sadly I have become slightly obsessed."

Haven't we all, buddy? Pretty soon you'll be asking us what's a good starter instrument and we can argue over flattops versus an Eastman versus a Kentucky versus Ashbury or whatever is widely available where you live.

Believe it or not I have been looking at a really basic mandolin in a music store nearby I dont want to go mad because of the spend on this Gibson for my brother. Everyone is so helpful on here. Thanks very much for taking g the time to post to my thread. Richard

Oh, I very much believe it. Good luck to you and your brother.