Thread: Professional setup

Default Professional setup

Hi everyone,

I've got a higher end mandolin that's got some really great sound, but I'm thinking it could play quite a bit better. I'm hoping to get some recommendations for a professional setup. I'm totally open to shipping or traveling to get this done...just not sure where to start.

Any recommendations?

Thank you
    Chris

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Re: Professional setup

I just had mine done in Sydney, which might be a bit far. It is so totally worth getting it done. Having said that, the Australian dollar to the US dollar would work out more cheaply, even with freight... Les rankin did mine. Dmfor details.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

a lot of shops can't /aren't taking repairs right now but these guys are all good, also talk to Avenue guitar and Denver Folklore if they're close to you

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/c...mic-Experience
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

My Skip Kelley A5 (Thomasville, NC) came as well set up as any mandolin I’ve played. He’s a one man show, afaik, so may (or may not, I’ve not spoken with him about it) be willing to work on your mandolin if the stores mentioned aren’t doing service/repairs. Randy Wood also does an awesome job.

Skip posts here often, so you can DM him, or use google.

That said, parts of the country are likely to begin opening up in the next few weeks, so your local options may be available and eliminate the shipping risk...
    Chuck

Elderly Instruments in Lansing Michigan does great work. Luckily, only 100 miles from me.

Quote Originally Posted by chubakkah View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've got a higher end mandolin that's got some really great sound, but I'm thinking it could play quite a bit better. I'm hoping to get some recommendations for a professional setup. I'm totally open to shipping or traveling to get this done...just not sure where to start.

Any recommendations?

Thank you
    Chris
    Take it to Micah Lundy at Olde Town Pickin Parlor in Arvada, CO. He does excellent work!

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Chris

+1 fro Avenue Guitars in Manitu Springs, great shop.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings