Thread: Observations about a Calace on Reverb please?

Default Observations about a Calace on Reverb please?

I would like to hear any and all observations people might have on this Calace. Thank you in advance.

https://reverb.com/item/33436991-192...lhP-s_e1UVU_8Q

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Default Re: Observations about a Calace on Reverb please?

Looks nice and seems like an attractive price.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

3. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Jump. On. It.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

5. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

If anyone can tell me more about the unusual sound hole shape, I would me most appreciative. Thank you.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    If anyone can tell me more about the unusual sound hole shape, I would me most appreciative. Thank you.
    Far as I'm aware, it's just an Art Deco enhancement. I have seen them on mandolins by other makers as well. IIRC, the Calace instruments I've seen this on also don't have the typical "skirt" that surrounds the bowl; I believe this to be a more difficult build, and it seems to appear on higher-end models.

But don't hold me to it; merely speculative maunderings and vague recollections.

8. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    Far as I'm aware, it's just an Art Deco enhancement. I have seen them on mandolins by other makers as well. IIRC, the Calace instruments I've seen this on also don't have the typical "skirt" that surrounds the bowl; I believe this to be a more difficult build, and it seems to appear on higher-end models.

But don't hold me to it; merely speculative maunderings and vague recollections.
    Thank you Bob. Are you speculating that it’s an enhancement by the maker or an after-market fad? Thanks again.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Seller is MCer who has a large collection. He used to post videos of all his instruments here. He owns the weirdo Gelas ones and I think a set of Bohmanns as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Actually the seller, Matthew Woods, also has it listed in the classifieds.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    Thank you Bob. Are you speculating that it’s an enhancement by the maker or an after-market fad? Thanks again.
    I'm speculating as to the differing features being indicative of a higher quality, or at least a higher-priced, build. I'm unaware of "after-market fads" for bowlbacks. The design elements may indeed be faddish; I'm not inclined to speculate about that, either.

Regarding quality vs price/features; I've noticed that in general the quality of a "real" Italian bowlback mandolin - as opposed to tourist souvenir items - is uniformly high, at least for makers who valued their reputations. Certainly they added refinements and ornamentation to drive a price point, as well as to reflect the ego and pocketbook of the buyer, but lower-end instruments were built for players. No one wanted to lose the players' market by cranking out poor quality instruments.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob A For This Useful Post:

Agreed with all above. Seems a good price for its era of production if functional.

"D" holes are weird, but not necessarily rare. They were standard to de Cristofaro mandolins, e.g., even base models.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

Thank you to those who chimed in. Is it possible this is a 900 Brevettato model? They had 27 staves and this had 25. But it does have other attributes of the 900 Brevettato. I wonder if all 900 Brevettato models were identical or had individual variation (?).

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    "D" holes are weird, but not necessarily rare. They were standard to de Cristofaro mandolins, e.g., even base models.
    Agreed. Here's a nicer one on a Watanabe I used to own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rosette.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	185411  

19. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

For some reason it reminds of this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBAE328C-D7E3-4CEF-BC05-C82C93BFDFA4.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	185421
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Agreed with all above. Seems a good price for its era of production if functional.

Bro Eug...I have a Cristofaro mandolin which has superb bass projection. It got me wondering whether the D sound hole also had an underlying effort to modulate the instrument's sound.

When I was at UTSOA we had a building structures prof who was all jazzed about Art Nouveau architecture. He went through all kinds of pains to show how the wrought iron curvatures of Hector Guimard, et al were also pretty accurate translations of the moment diagrams of the structures. We rolled with it. Our final exam was to do an analysis of one Guimard's metro stations... and redesign an column footing.

That is a fine looking Calace, imho. Deeliteful.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

23. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Eugene 

The modern equivalent of this model is, as close as I can tell, is their style 15. You can see all the available current styles here. You can buy a new one from the shop for 1280€. Not that that would compare to a vintage one. The 16bis is similar, slightly fancier and has fluted bowl.

Here is the mandolin prices and descriptions from the most recent price list:

LISTINO PREZZI
    (Price - List)
    --------------
    ANNO 2020

---------- MANDOLINS ---------
    type n.
    " " 24 Euro 800,00
    " " 26 " 850,00
    " " 13 " 1.200,00
    " " 15 " 1.280,00
    " " 16 Bis " 1.900,00
    " " Ripa " 2.150,00
    " Classico D " 2.150,00
    " Classico C " 1.800,00
    " Classico B " 1.300,00
    " Classico A " 2.850,00
    " Annamaria " 2.950,00
    Hard-case x mandolin 140,00
    Semi-hard case x m. 60,00
    the following models are missing in the illustrated catalogue:

- type Classico D has the some channelled round bottom of Classico A;
    head without engraved head. Ebony concert fingerboard with 29
    freets under E.
    - type Classico C has round bottom with 31 palisander channelled
    ribs; concert ebony fingerboard with 29 frets under E.
    - type Classico B has round bottom with 31 white maple not channelled;
    concert ebony fingerboard with 29 frets under E.
    - type Classico A has an engraved neck with: a) inside machine-head;
    b) optional laterar side machine head;
    - only on type Classico A, with extra price of Euro 300,00 is possible
    to insert special inox 18/8 stell frets, more unconfortable,
    but with a very long duration; only for concertist.
    - only on type classico A, with extra price of Euro 300,00 is possible
    to have a pearl decorated shield and ebony and pearl finger
    board.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

25. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

BTW Carlo Mazzacarra has a good handful of Calaces restored and for various prices in the classifieds. One ad is here. Other links to his other ads. And there are a few other Calaces in the classifieds though some will only ship within Canada.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

27. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Off topic but of interest re. Carlo. He also has this “German” mandolin he designed - basically a German styled bowl with Neapolitan bracing, scroll head etc. He demo’d it for me and it is really very nice. I like it quite a lot. He seems to very much enjoy experimenting. Covid-19 has been devastating for his area and business but he remains healthy. Again, thanks to all who responded to this thread.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Same seller now has an Embergher N.5 in the classifieds and also on Reverb.

I am a bit surprised that this is described as being restored. I am sure that the bowl is structurally sound now, but, sorry, I would not call it restored. It is quite possible that this was a real basket case in which case I would say the repairs were done the best as possible.

I have a 1904 N3 which also had some pretty bad repairs (for instance, wood putty on the fluted bowl) done on it in its long life but I spend a fair amount of money on it and had it completely restored. I know a skilled luthier would charge a lot of money to get something like this like it was when it came from Luigi's shop, so I assume that the owner decided to opt for playabiity. Certainly understandable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jjrwxwb35aujkkh6ve7a.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	185437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o6osgrxn5yfhlxt47qt4.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	185438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	embergher5_bowl.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	185436  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	embergher1902_N5_hdstk-fnt.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	185439  
    Last edited by Jim Garber; May-03-2020 at 8:42pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Bro Eug...I have a Cristofaro mandolin which has superb bass projection. It got me wondering whether the D sound hole also had an underlying effort to modulate the instrument's sound.

When I was at UTSOA we had a building structures prof who was all jazzed about Art Nouveau architecture. He went through all kinds of pains to show how the wrought iron curvatures of Hector Guimard, et al were also pretty accurate translations of the moment diagrams of the structures. We rolled with it. Our final exam was to do an analysis of one Guimard's metro stations... and redesign an column footing.
    Interesting, Mick.