Thread: Mando Nut - Open A and fretted notes on A string bad

Default Mando Nut - Open A and fretted notes on A string bad

My mando's A strings, I think, have a nut problem. If I tune both A's so it's "right" as open notes, then as I got up the fret board (say to a D) on of the A's is right on, then other is sharp.
    I think it's a nut problem, but what do I know. Is there something I can do other than drive for hours into a virus hot spot for a luthiers help??

Thanks, Jim from WI

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mando Nut - Open A and fretted notes on A string bad

You could try and "grease" the slots with pencil lead. The graphite will help them to move. If it's really a slot width issue, you would either need to slot it or have someone do it for you. Rob Meldrum's Mandolin Set up guide may help. Send him an e-mail via the thread.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Jim try tuning the A's on the 5th fret. If they are in tune when you play it is the nut, if not it is the bridge. Could be either.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks for the reply.
    I do use pencil lead to "grease" the slots. All my othr strings are in tune.

pops1: Thanks for responding . . .
    I did tune the string on the 5th fret. All the notes of the A string were good, except one of the open A went flat. The other open A is good.

I once had the same thing to happen after a string change except on the D strings. Turned out one of the new D strings was bad.

7. The following members say thank you to nordian for this post:

nordian: Thanks. That's an easy try. I'll put a new set on.
    Jim

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Yes it could be a bad string, but it could also be that the "flat" string is leaving (last touching) the nut somewhere toward its center, rather than at the front edge. A temporary fix that would prove the issue (ugly but REAL cheap) would be to shim that string with a fold or three of paper, right AT the front edge of the nut. If it now plays in tune up the neck, then it's the nut and not the string.

I have a bass guitar with such "temporary" fix at the bridge, now going on 4-5 years!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

+1 on the string leaving the nut. I’ve bought several mandolins with that problem, but and saddle must be back cut so the last place strong touches is the edge. I suppose this is true on any instrument but the short scale and twinned strings make it especially critical on mandolins

Dave Sheets

If the problem persists with fresh strings, try placing a thin bit of paper in the slot under the problematic A string. If that fixes the problem, then it is indeed the issue discussed above related to where the string rests in the nut slot. The bit of paper looks a tad ugly, but is at least an interim fix, if you don't want to work on the nut yourself and need to wait for a luthier. Good luck!
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Thanks for all the advice. Ed and Dave - I tried the paper trick and my A strings are back "in tune". So, it must be my nut groove is differrent for my 2 A strings.
    Do I now need a luither??

13. The following members say thank you to jimbowi for this post:

The nut needs to be filed so the front is the highest part of the string groove. It is something you can carefully do yourself with torch tip cleaning files. It should angle back toward the tuners, I would recommend not taking any off at the end where the string comes off since I don't know where you are above the first fret. You may also look for a small piece of foreign material in the slot that is the problem.

Dave Sheets

Pops1 has it there. You need a narrow file, I got a set of nut files from Amazon, got a lot of use out of them, but then I have an instrument collecting problem.

Your other option is to just live with the bit of paper for a while, until the world gets a bit more normal and then go see a luthier, and get a good set-up done. Comes down to how handy and adventuresome you are.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Blog Entries

I buy most of my seldom-used hardware from Harbor Freight. I think that's where I got my needle files. Much later when I found them useful, I bought string-slot files from a luthier's supply, but the cheap needle files worked fine. In a pinch, I think you could jury rig the blade from a serrated steak knife (filed approximately like you'd file a chain saw, but with the "cutting" surfaces as scrapers not sawblades), but you'd have to be really careful (and pretty desperate).
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

I'm confused. In the original post the OP stated the offending string was going sharp. If the string is leaving the nut at a point behind the edge closest to the fretboard will it run sharp or flat?

Because the string was not touching the very front of the nut it is actually tuning flat so when you fret it is sharp.