Thread: Expectation check for a brand new Loar Honey Creek mandolin

Default Expectation check for a brand new Loar Honey Creek mandolin

Hi everyone,

After playing over 50 mandolins in the last few months, I decided to purchase a Loar Honey Creek A-style. It's sounds nice and is in a good price range for me (intermediate level; I only play casually, not professionally).

The seller let me take the mandolin home for a few days to try it out. I've noticed two issues with it that I wanted to check with the group on.

First, the sound resonates a long time after I pluck the strings. I kinda like it, but it rings for much longer than my other two mandolins (a beginner Kentucky and cheap strad-o-lin) so I'm not used to it. Is that okay, maybe even desired?

Second, there are some minor flaws in the lacquer finish (I tried to attach a picture to this message). The seller said that that should be expected in its price range. Do others agree or should I expect it to be pretty darn perfect for a brand new mandolin?

Thanks all!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1942.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	425.8 KB 
ID:	185310

Default Re: Expectation check for a brand new Loar Honey Creek mandolin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1943.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	311.7 KB 
ID:	185311

Uploaded an image of the other side of the neck, where the lacquer is bubbling up as well. Sorta hard to see, sorry.

I love sustain, if you you can get by the finish imperfections, and the sound and price is right, your a winner.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

4. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

Sustain is a personal preference...I’d rather have it than not, as I can always chop or palm mute if needed, but if it ain’t there, it ain’t there.

As for the finish flaws, yes, those are common (expected even) in less expensive instruments. My old Kentucky 675-S had them in spades in the scroll and underneath the FB extension. If you like the tone and playability, don’t let the finish issues turn you off. Unless, of course, they’re gonna drive you nuts, in which case, check out some Eastmans (they’re not perfect, but are nailing the fit and finish work better than Kentucky and Loar presently, based on the examples I’ve played/seen recently).

6. The following members say thank you to CES for this post: