Thread: 1930 Stradolin

Default 1930 Stradolin

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roger Adams For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 1930 Stradolin

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Adams View Post
    Do I need tuning pliers now?

I still haven't got a tuning fork. ...If you can't tuna fish, what's the fork for?

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Ha! I've lately become the keeper of a similar '30s-ish Stradolin. It's in nice condition o/t the missing tailpiece cover and almost-seized tuners, waiting for my Tri-Flow. Please - don't tempt me to grab the tuning pliers!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

5. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Is $450 the "going price" now for a Strad-O-Lin of this vintage and condition? Seems a bit steep to me.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Is $450 the "going price" now for a Strad-O-Lin of this vintage and condition? Seems a bit steep to me.
    There seem to have been a lot of them on ebay the past few months. If the seller used those as a price guide, then they looked at the highest priced. That might be about 3x going price.

8. The following members say thank you to AndyV for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    There seem to have been a lot of them on ebay the past few months. If the seller used those as a price guide, then they looked at the highest priced. That might be about 3x going price.
    Well now that I've taken a look $300 seems to be the current asking.

I'm resisting the $75 Stadium on ebay.

10. The following members say thank you to AndyV for this post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

If you ask the majority of the Mandolin Cafe community, they will tell you that anyone who offers a stradolin for sale for more than fifty bucks is a communist and should immediately receive twenty lashes behind the ear with a wet noodle. Never mind that it is an all solid wood vintage American made mandolin from (approx.) 1936. It's worth fifty bucks. Never mind that it has that wonderful stradolin elevated fretboard extension... fifty bucks. Don't even think about charging extra for the rare asymmetrical fretboard that is indicative of the finer stradolins... as Muddy Waters said in the pawn shop scene from the movie Trading Places, "In Philadelphia it's worth fifty bucks".

In the article, "Great Vintage Mandolins Under $1,000" By Mandolin Cafe March 18, 2012 they are priced from $199 to $500. But here they are worth fifty bucks.

Enough kidding around. The auction does have a "BUY IT NOW" listed. If he takes $350 for it, someone would be getting a very very good deal because that is one of the good stradolins.

As for that Stadium mandolin for $75, I have owned one, it is laminated, you get what you pay for.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post:

"No reason to get excited,The thief he kindly spoke," per Dylan and Hendrix. I went for about two decades playing the pee out of a Strad-O-Lin bought, with checked finish and a major top crack -- plus a decidedly non-protective canvas bag -- from an elderly NYCity lady for, you said it, fifty bucks. She said she'd kept it under her bed for 25 years or so. Got it fixed up, which raised the cost to $175; bought a hard case for $65, and now we're nearing $250. I must have played that mandolin 500 gigs -- concerts, recording sessions, jams, sing-arounds. Finally traded it in on my current Strad-O-Lin, a bit nicer; got $90 for it in trade on a $225 instrument. Kept the case.

I'd pay over $300 for this one -- it has the case -- though "tuning pliers" do make me a little worried that the tuners may be past lubrication. Maybe not. I still find $450 a tad steep. But that's jus' me -- and I did go several decades playing a Strad-O-Lin that I got for fifty bucks. Good investment.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

14. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

There are a few "artist" stradolins out there with spectacular flamy maple back and sides-i surmise they have the segmented f-holes but if had for a deal they are a lot of bang for the buck! Most all of those have the elevated fretboard rather than glued flush to the top and to me thats a bonus as it lets the top vibrate better-one reason my favorite 30's gibson a models are the 1935 f-hole elevated board models-a few late 34's have been found and i surmise maybe a few early 36 elevated board A-50's "although i've never seen a 36 and have seen one late 34 with this configuration?"

It still blows my mind along with some others is why Gibson never offered a 5 scale neck f-hole elevated board A model besides the only known Loar A-5! They were all short necks! Many of these from the 30's with a 5 scale maple neck job can be great mandolins! One just has to make a longer neck or the bridge will be about an inch above the f-hole points but even with the few i've done and many i've seen they really are great conversions!
    Last edited by William Smith; May-01-2020 at 4:50am.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    There are a few "artist" stradolins out there with spectacular flamy maple back and sides-i surmise they have the segmented f-holes but if had for a deal they are a lot of bang for the buck! Most all of those have the elevated fretboard rather than glued flush to the top and to me that's a bonus as it lets the top vibrate better
    Often Incorrectly called an "Artist" model, it is actually a Deluxe Professional model... one of the Moderators and the foremost authority on Strad-O-Lins paid $50 for his (can't make this stuff up). I have one too, that I pretty much have given up trying to sell because nobody pays fair market value for them once people hear someone paid $50 for one. I seem to be stuck in a prison of my own making.

Allan, There must be some kind of way outta here, said the joker to the thief (Dylan).

FYI: Almost every Stradolin has an elevated fretboard extension except oval hole SOL's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191119_110404.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	185390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARTIST5.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	185388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARTIST2.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	185389  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARTIST1.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	185391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARTIST6.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	185392  
    Last edited by your_diamond; May-01-2020 at 3:42pm.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=allenhopkins;1768809]"[I]I went for about two decades playing the pee out of a Strad-O-Lin[QUOTE]

I wonder how a person makes the jump from playing a Stradolin to a 1954 Gibson F5 !!!
    Not only is it a HUGE price difference but the F5's longer scale length must take some getting used to.

20. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    often incorrectly called an "artist" model, it is actually a deluxe professional model... One of the moderators and the foremost authority on strad-o-lins paid $50 for his (can't make this stuff up). I have one too, that i pretty much have given up trying to sell because nobody pays fair market value for them once people hear someone paid $50 for one. I seem to be stuck in a prison of my own making.

Allan, there must be some kind of way outta here, said the joker to the thief (dylan).

Fyi: Almost every stradolin has an elevated fretboard extension except oval hole sol's.

is that your stradolin? Wow that has to be the niceset wood i've ever seen on a stradolin! I think i've seen this one before here on the mando classified adds?

22. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

"[I]I went for about two decades playing the pee out of a Strad-O-Lin
    I wonder how a person makes the jump from playing a Stradolin to a 1954 Gibson F5 !!!
    Not only is it a HUGE price difference but the F5's longer scale length must take some getting used to.
    You have no idea what scale variances I deal with, really -- from a Weber "sopranolin" at 10 1/2 inches, to a Stahl mando-bass at 39 3/8 inches. Mandolin, mandola, mandocello, octave mandolin, mando-bass and everything in between. Keeps me flexible!
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

24. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

You have no idea what scale variances I deal with, really -- from a Weber "sopranolin" at 10 1/2 inches, to a Stahl mando-bass at 39 3/8 inches. Mandolin, mandola, mandocello, octave mandolin, mando-bass and everything in between. Keeps me flexible!
    Tell me about it...I play Bass (34" scale). So, Stahl mando-bass. Larson made?

MORE IMPORTANTLY, how did you make the jump from playing a Stradolin to a Gibson F5 !!! It's not a question of money. I just can't bring myself to do it. Love my Stradolin. I might be afraid to spoil myself.

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    1) Is that your stradolin? 2)Wow that has to be the nicest wood i've ever seen on a stradolin! 3)I think i've seen this one before here on the mando classified adds?
    1) Yup mine.
    2) Yup nicest Flame anywhere.
    3) Yup. I pretty much have given up trying to sell Her. It might be easier to sell a Loar F5.

26. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

1) Yup mine.
    2) Yup nicest Flame anywhere.
    3) Yup. I pretty much have given up trying to sell Her. It might be easier to sell a Loar F5.
    We've had this conversation before, but even in beautiful, unbelievable, fantastic condition -- there is a limit to what somebody will pay. Also, less demand for a Stradolin than let's say, a Gibson, just as an example. A Gibson with wood like that would have people fighting to get their bids in.......a Stradolin, well, people like 'em because they are a great bargain, just like Peavey guitars, play great, sound great, made in the USA, and thousands cheaper than a comparable Fender -- what am I missing? Well, the obvious, it's a Peavey..............

Another example, Dad's pride and joy was a "triple black" 1964 Imperial Crown 4 door. It still is in mint condition and has never been restored, always garaged. Dad drove it in parades a couple times a year and around the block to "blow the carbon out of it!" as he liked to say. My sister and I inherited the car and while we both love it and love the memories of Dad, neither of us needs a new hobby, so the car sits waiting for a buyer.

SIMILAR SITUATION TO YOURS --IF, and it's a big IF -- it were a Corvette or Mustang in the same condition, people would be flying in from all over the world to buy it for crazy money, BECAUSE IT IS A 64 Imperial, there are many less people interested. The car is worth $20-25K, a specialty shop might be able to squeeze a little more out of it. Again, the car is mint and has never been restored. To restore one to this condition would cost $40-45K, maybe more -- as shown on Garage Monkey and various reality shows. Anyway, the car has been for sale on various sites and yes we get calls from nice people who want to pay $8-10K. We say thank you, but we'll pass. We are in no hurry, but of course, would love to sell it to a good home. We just need the "one perfect buyer" who appreciates what the car is.

I should mention, Dad has been gone for almost 14 years, so......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1418.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	482.5 KB 
ID:	185434

28. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    We've had this conversation before
    Yeah, Yeah but unlike that car this SOL doesn't need a restoration, she plays like a dream & isn't taking up any room. So she's in the rotation of instruments I play. I also have a fairly good idea what Stanley Jay (RIP my Friend, you are missed) would have asked for her in his shop... and I kinda like having her around. It's not like I'll ever come across another one this nice with no cracks, etc. I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face https://youtu.be/arG5ZT9OCw4
    Last edited by your_diamond; May-03-2020 at 3:18pm.

30. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Good man Stan.Lucky to get my Flatiron from him.That trunk will hold a lot of mandolins.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandolinstew For This Useful Post:

Are Peaveys still made in USA?They came out with a weird mandolin a few years ago.Might be the next Stradolin(still a great name)

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandolinstew For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinstew View Post
    Are Peaveys still made in USA?They came out with a weird mandolin a few years ago.Might be the next Stradolin(still a great name)
    Peavey currently owns 1.5 million square feet of manufacturing/assembly area over 33 facilities across North America, Europe and Asia, 18 of which are located in Mississippi. Products are manufactured mainly in China and the United States, It is one of the largest audio equipment manufacturers in the world.
    I've sold a ton of USA made T-60 Guitars and T-40 Basses over the years. Nice examples currently bring $500 on ebay (much more than they used to bring).
    Also, Peavey owns Trace Elliot.

That weird Chinese Peavey mandolin will never compete with one of the better Stradolins (or actually any Stradolin). The Peavey has no raised fretboard extension. PLAY A MANDOLIN WITH A RAISED FRETBOARD EXTENSION AND NOTHING ELSE WILL DO!!! Also, a small percentage of pre-war Stradolins had hand carved tops, Peavey not so much. Even a $90 (the going rate for a) laminated post-war Stradolin Jr. would sound better. That's the charm of a Stradolin, they "sound better than they should"... damn fine vintage American made mandolins. https://ebay.us/QOaX5V
    https://roxys.com/shop/peavey-composer-am/
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...eavey-mandolin

Stradolins seem to have a soul or their made with love or skill while the majority of Chinese instruments seem to be furniture.
    Even though the Chinese mandolins are much more complicate and made with many more parts, for the majority of them (not all), the sound is lacking.
    Last edited by your_diamond; May-04-2020 at 8:05am.

Tell me about it...I play Bass (34" scale). So, Stahl mando-bass. Larson made?

MORE IMPORTANTLY, how did you make the jump from playing a Stradolin to a Gibson F5 !!! It's not a question of money. I just can't bring myself to do it. Love my Stradolin. I might be afraid to spoil myself....
    Yes, Larson brothers, 19-teens I guess. Here's a pic of one of the Larsons holding it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	larsonbass.pdf 
Views:	83 
Size:	406.8 KB 
ID:	185466

Ya know, I owned the F-5 decades before I bought the Strad-O-Lin. I was staff at a NYCity Folk Music Club weekend, did a mandolin workshop, and this elderly lady offered me the cracked Strad at bargain-basement $50. Sold! Now I had a mandolin (once I got it fixed) that I could take camping, to the beach, or to an outdoor festival just to stroll around. Then I got surprised at how good it sounded, so I started using it on some gigs, a couple recording sessions, etc. The F-5 is for when I play some bluegrass, which I seldom do these days. The Strad-O-Lin was my everyday, knockabout mandolin, and more than justified its tiny price. And, as I noted above, Dave Stutzman gave me $90 for it on a trade-in for a nicer Strad-O-Lin.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

37. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Yes, Larson brothers, 19-teens I guess.
    WOW! A fretted bass made long before Leo Fender's "invention".
    If you ever need to find a good home for that Larson Bass, let me know (I bet there's a long list of admirers). Wanna trade for a really nice Stradolin?

Ya know, I owned the F-5 decades before I bought the Strad-O-Lin. I was staff at a NYCity Folk Music Club weekend, did a mandolin workshop, and this elderly lady offered me the cracked Strad at bargain-basement $50. Sold! Now I had a mandolin (once I got it fixed) that I could take camping, to the beach, or to an outdoor festival just to stroll around. Then I got surprised at how good it sounded, so I started using it on some gigs, a couple recording sessions, etc. The F-5 is for when I play some bluegrass, which I seldom do these days. The Strad-O-Lin was my everyday, knockabout mandolin, and more than justified its tiny price. And, as I noted above, Dave Stutzman gave me $90 for it on a trade-in for a nicer Strad-O-Lin.
    What are you currently using for your everyday mandolin?

WOW! A fretted bass made long before Leo Fender's "invention".
    If you ever need to find a good home for that Larson Bass, let me know (I bet there's a long list of admirers). Wanna trade for a really nice Stradolin? What are you currently using for your everyday mandolin?
    1. The Stahl mando-bass set me back about $4K, though I did a no-cash swap with John Bernunzio for a really fine 1957 Martin D-18, a '70's Guild F-202XL 12-string, and something else I can't recall -- maybe an old tenor guitar. Had it not had the Larson Bros. pedigree, it wouldn't have commanded a price in that range. If you can find a Larson Bros. Strad-O-Lin, then maybe we'll talk.

2. Don't really have an "everyday" mandolin, but recently have been playing mostly a Stahl mandola (also Larson-made), a mid-'80's Gibson A/N Custom which is basically a very fancy reissue of their old Army-Navy model, an Eastman DGM-2 Bacon clone, my Flatiron early-'80's octave mandolin, and my Sobell mandola, also early '80's. Oh, and also my 1919 Martin Style A.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

40. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post: