Thread: Harvey-clone

Default Harvey-clone

Hello , and I hope everyone is safe and healthy.I would like to share a high point in my life. My late Father was in the Navy with Jim Harvey out in SanDiego way back in the 50s and he had Mr.Jim Harvey build him an electric mandolinas well as a very nice custom case to house that most beautiful piece of music history. It was one of the few instruments that had been fitted with a Bigsby pickup , it has a lot of Bigsby styling as did everything that Harvey built.well I am sorry to say thatit had the neck broken off while Dad was still alive and he had it repaired but not to the quality that it deserves. I still have Dads pride and joy and have always wanted to play the mandolin so a few years ago I recieved an accoustic mandolin from my little Brother so we could fullfill a dream of mine ,which was to be in a bluegrass band called Crumbs in the Butter Iand to be playing Dads 1957 Harveytone. Dads Harveytone needs a complete makeover and I am not prepaired to make that happin right now, although I have been doing repairs and built one f style kit that turned out really nice so I decided to make a replica of Dads 1957 Harvey. I am proud to say that my first build from scratch dream mandolin is very close to complesion and I want to take the time right now to let you see them both. Its notan exact copy but it sure looks as though theywere cast from the same mold.

2. The following members say thank you to Eric Baugus for this post:

Default Re: Harvey-clone

I will post pics as soon as I learn how to, lol. Analog man in a digital world, please pardon my computer skills ,or the lack there of them

Hm. Was your Dad's name Dave by any chance? There's a photo of Jim Harvey with a number of unfinished mandolins. One of them has the name "Dave" on it and has yet to be located.

I wonder if there's a luthier who would do the repair in exchange for the opportunity to make a bench copy of a Harvey mandolin?

T.K. Smith? Ed Elliott? Someone like that?

Only a handful of Harvey mandolins exist, and only one is actively being played (by Scotty Broyles). Most people have never seen one.

Someone else dug his dad's Harvey out and posted about it a few years ago:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...built-Mandolin

We got just a couple of low-resolution photos. Holler if you need help, or email me your photos and I'll post them for you.
    Last edited by mrmando; Apr-25-2020 at 12:55am.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy Wood Thormahlen Andersen Bacorn Yanuziello Fender National Gibson Franke Fuchs Aceto Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Was the subject on this supposed to be Harveytone?
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Was the subject on this supposed to be Harveytone?
    Mike, I think because he built one to be a replica of his dad's Harvey-clone is accurate.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Hi Eric, here are tips on attaching images.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/f...b3_attachments
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy Wood Thormahlen Andersen Bacorn Yanuziello Fender National Gibson Franke Fuchs Aceto Three Hungry Pit Bulls