Thread: Thile Fingering for Bach's Corrente (B Minor Partita)

Post Thile Fingering for Bach's Corrente (B Minor Partita)

Another week has flown by and another one of these is fresh off the press (and my press I mean my computer). This time around we have the Corrente from the B Minor Partita for Solo Violin.

Nothing too special of note about the picking, he uses mostly up/down for the entire piece. This is one of my favorites from the whole partita, thumbs for to Bach on this one...

Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Partita No 1 in B Minor, BWV 1002 III Corrente.pdf 
Views:	279 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	185160

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jake Howard For This Useful Post:

Registered User gordonjackson83's Avatar
    The medieval town of Sandwich, Kent, England.

Default Re: Thile Fingering for Bach's Corrente (B Minor Partita)

Hi Jake, thanks for posting this – it’s lovely. I didn’t know this, so it’s a welcome addition to my Bach selection (BTW I already have the Courante from the Cello Suite no. 3 – if you don’t know it, I strongly recommend it).

One small point: should the final note not be a tied minim (half note) and a quaver (eighth note) in order to ‘meet up’ with the quaver at the start of the second part?

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for enjoying it! The Courante from Cello Suite No. 3 is gorgeous, love that piece.

Great question and good eye. I assume we are talking about measure 81? Interestingly enough that note value is exactly how Bach wrote it. Weird right? I had to go back to the photocopies of Bach's handwritten solo violin pieces to see for myself (if you haven't seen them you should, his handwriting is very expressive and gives a whole new appreciation for the pieces).

Sadly, I am not sure exactly why this is. Heck, maybe he forgot what time signature he was in I'll have to ask around to some people in my circle who know Bach's reasonings more than I do. Maybe someone on the beautiful Cafe can tell us why!

Registered User gordonjackson83's Avatar
    The medieval town of Sandwich, Kent, England.

I prefer to think that I got it right and old JS got it wrong 🤣🤣🤣🤣.