Thread: Vintage Martin vs. Gibson

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Vintage Martin vs. Gibson

Out of curiousity I would like opinions as to whether Martin mandolins are inferior in playability and tone to Gibson Mandolins. Is the significant value differences based upon functionality or other factors having to do with emotional / popularity influences?
    I have played a number of vintage instruments that varied from what I thought to have very good to very poor tonality. As per playability I have not liked any of the mandolin flat fret boards and only a few of the neck profiles.
    The thought of owning a near 100 year old instrument in good condition, but with a reworked neck and radius fret board added excites a desire that may someday have to be realized.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Default Re: Vintage Martin vs. Gibson

Having owned a few of both I can offer this. Martin mandolins play well as long as they have no issues as do Gibson mandolins. All things considered, they are both well made instruments.

Where they differ is in the sound they produce. Martin mandolins have this sweet airy sound like one might want to hear in celtic or folk music or the like. Gibson mandolins can give you that hard driving bluegrass sound.

You could play either mandolin in either genre and someone with advanced talents on the instrument could probably produce almost anything. There are difference between Martin and Gibson guitars and there are differences between the mandolins made by both companies.

Monroe didn't buy a Martin mandolin that was hanging in the Window of a barbershop in Florida, he bought a Lloyd Loar signed Gibson F5. That was the sound he was looking for and that has driven the market for decades.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Their style is quite different.. Martin derived from a Bowl back tradition ..

As you have seen Bluegrass bands favor Martin Guitars, and Gibson Mandolins..

Not Gibson Guitars and Martin Mandolins..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

5. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Before you decide, I suggest you research the Martin Style 20. It was a carved-top beauty and had a nice sound.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickbella For This Useful Post:

1. You won't get a radiused fingerboard on either Martin or Gibson mandolins -- unless, as you suggest you get one installed aftermarket.

2. The real difference isn't in the brand name; it's in the construction methods. Most Martin mandolins are made partially like flat-top guitars (flat back, bent sides), and partially like bowl-back mandolins (flat top with a "cant" -- heat-induced bend -- built into it). The exceptions are the relatively rare Styles 15/20/30 (oval hole), and the corresponding 2-15/2-20/2-30 (f-hole); these models had carved tops. Gibson mandolins (again, with some exceptions, such as the flat-top Army-Navy Model) are made like arch-top guitars, with the top and back carved into an arch. They may have oval soundholes or f-holes, depending on the model, and come in a variety of shapes, the most common of which are the "A" instruments with ovoid bodies, and the "F" instruments with added scroll and body points. Martin mandolins, other than the carved-top models, generally have shorter scales -- especially shorter than the raised-fingerboard Gibson models.

3. I would say that tonal differences, which Mike E has well-described above, are a question of "difference," not "superiority/inferiority." And construction-wise, both companies built to high standards, though I would say that you might find a bit more qualitative variation in Gibson mandolins than in Martin. Gibson didn't seem quite as strict in sticking to specs as Martin; more idiosyncratic "one-of" Gibsons crop up from time to time.

4. The "significant value differences" you mention are largely related to the role of mandolin in contemporary music. The main musical genre that features mandolin in our time is bluegrass, and Gibson mandolins (again, as Mike E mentions) are better suited to that style. If you look at those currently building mandolins, either here or in Asia, you will find a preference for the Gibson template -- carved top and back, "A" or "F" body shapes. These decisions are market-driven, as is the price scale of vintage Gibson vs. vintage Martin models, whose original list prices were much closer than their prices on the vintage market. The shifting market led Martin to drop mandolin manufacture decades ago, while Gibson continues to make mandolins, and most other builders are making Gibson-esque variants.

5. If you are dissatisfied with the neck profiles and "tonality" of many of the vintage models, I'd question the decision to buy a "100 year old instrument" just because it's vintage. There are many excellent contemporary builders capable of turning out a mandolin that meets your preferences more exactly. Those of us who accumulate numbers of older mandolins, and the instruments, generally like the tone and feel of the old instruments -- though most of us have and play newer instruments as well. There is a reason that certain models of mandolin -- especially Gibson "F" models -- can command six-figure market prices, while other mandolins of the same vintage are much lower-priced; it has to do with (at least perceived) musical functionality, more than "emotional/popularity influences." Lloyd Loar Gibson F-5's are, like Stradivarius violins, considered by musicians to be the "gold standard," and their market prices reflect that evaluation. Changing instruments, you find the same factors apply to, say, Martin ukuleles; vintage Martin 5-K's command market prices far beyond contemporary Gibson ukes, for reasons musical and non-musical.

Which is taking a lot of words to say that vintage Martin and Gibson mandolins -- in general -- are high-quality instruments, neither "inferior" to the other, just different -- and that their musical differences have made them differently valued on the vintage instrument market, largely due to musical style preferences among the mandolin-buying public. Your musical style preference may lead you to one brand or the other; I own both, like 'em both, and use them for different styles of music.

Have fun! Vintage mandolin trying and buying can be a really enjoyable experience -- you learn a lot and get to experience history in your hands.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rickbella View Post
    Before you decide, I suggest you research the Martin Style 20. It was a carved-top beauty and had a nice sound.
    +1

The Style 20 is very beautiful and they tend to sound very good.

Teacher, repair person

Just to muddy the water, I will mention that the old Lyon & Healy carved top instruments are instruments of high quality.

Styles B and C are in more or less the same price range as Gibson oval hole A models. In my experience, L & H's tend to be more consistent in tone and projection from instrument to instrument than the Gibson A's. And, for those who care about such things, many of them left the factory with fingerboards that are mildly radiused. The necks tend to be modest in profile compared to Gibson's.

I might also mention that Martin's oval hole style 15 and 20 models are quite similar in design and appearance to L & H style B's and C's.

I'll also mention that I owned an L & H style B that miked better than perhaps any other mandolin I have ever owned. I traded it off to a well known player many years ago, but that's another story.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

To muddy the water further, what do we think of homages? https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/153833#153833
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

14. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    To muddy the water further, what do we think of homages? https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/153833#153833
    I, for one, like homages. If I was in the market, I'd sure be looking at this one, especially at this price.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

16. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    I, for one, like homages. If I was in the market, I'd sure be looking at this one, especially at this price.
    Nothing against the builder, seller, or potential buyer, but you can buy an actual Martin pretty close in range to the price of this. The “blocky” neck heel kinda turns me off. Just my opinion. As far as the thread goes, I think MikeE and AllenH pretty much covered it!

18. The following members say thank you to Steve 2E for this post:

I’m surprised nobody mentioned the fact that most if not all Martin Flat top mandolins have the short 13” scale, aka “violin” scale, another carryover from the old bowlbacks. I think the carried tops like the style 15 and 20 had the longer 14” scale. It’s too bad that bluegrass players never embraced the short scale. Chop chords sure are easier that way!

I absolutely love my Martin style A! But I am a folkie at heart, just not into bluegrass. If you are a bluegrass player you have to have the carved top. Martin did make carved top instruments as noted above, but I don’t know of any bluegrass players that use one. They just prefer the Gibson sound.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

It is not either or. They both have their place. As do other options.

I am especially enamored of the Lyon and Healy mandolins. I have a Style A that I consider one of the most beautiful mandolins in the world. Just like Martin and Gibson, if you get a good L&H it will be extremely playable and sound fantastic.

Best to plan on getting one of everything, in due course naturally. Decide what you are getting first, nor now, but realize you are not closing the door to other options as soon as resources and priorities permit.

That is my approach anyway. YMMV
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

21. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    It is not either or. They both have their place. As do other options.

I am especially enamored of the Lyon and Healy mandolins. I have a Style A that I consider one of the most beautiful mandolins in the world. Just like Martin and Gibson, if you get a good L&H it will be extremely playable and sound fantastic.

Best to plan on getting one of everything, in due course naturally. Decide what you are getting first, nor now, but realize you are not closing the door to other options as soon as resources and priorities permit.

That is my approach anyway. YMMV
    Amen Brother!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I’m surprised nobody mentioned the fact that most if not all Martin Flat top mandolins have the short 13” scale, aka “violin” scale, another carryover from the old bowlbacks. I think the carried tops like the style 15 and 20 had the longer 14” scale...
    Yeah, I mentioned that:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Martin mandolins, other than the carved-top models, generally have shorter scales -- especially shorter than the raised-fingerboard Gibson models.
    Perhaps not as specifically, but that is one of the characteristic differences between Martin and Gibson mandolins.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I think the carried tops like the style 15 and 20 had the longer 14” scale.
    According to the Johnson/Boak book, Martin Guitars: A Technical Reference, The earlier oval hole carved Martins (Style 15, 20, 30) had a 13" scale whereas the later f-holed 2-15, 2-20, and 2-30 mandolins had 13-3/4" scales.

I had a 1940s Martin 2-15 once and while it had a sweet sound, it wasn't anywhere near the Gibson's in terms of tone or volume.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Sorry Allen. Missed that in your post. You’re definitely not one who leaves out significant facts! And I meant “carved” tops, not carried. Darn auto correct. I should just turn the dadgum thing off.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

26. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Blog Entries

I am not a fan of the longer necks. The instrument feels to me like a large spoon, with all the weight at one end. The shorter necks give the feeling of compactness. A small package capable of great things.

But its really about preference. What folks like and want to play.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Should I look at any of these?
    1935 Martin Style 15, 1951 Martin Style 2-15 or a 1962 Martin Style 2-15 mandolin. All of these instruments are in great shape and come equipped with hard shell cases.
    I think he’s asking $950 each.

Teacher, repair person

I've played a few of the carved Martins over the years, and I thought the oval hole ones were consistently better instruments.
    My feelings are that Martin never quite figured out how to get the most out of an F hole mandolin.
    So that's one vote for the 1935 style 15.

I agree with rcc56 especially if you are looking for a Martin. As I said the 40’s 2-15 I owned a few years ago was a beautifully made mandolin but lacking in volume, rather weak-voiced in my opinion. If you want a mellower sound you might like a Lyon & Healy carved A, B, or C better. Also the Martin 2- series have a flaw where there is a weakness in the tail block. The top can split when that happens. To tell the truth, the only reason I bought that 2-15 was that someone put a Lyon & Healy tailpiece cover on it and I needed one for my L&H. I kept the Martin, played it a little but it never did it for me.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGeo View Post
    Should I look at any of these?
    1935 Martin Style 15, 1951 Martin Style 2-15 or a 1962 Martin Style 2-15 mandolin. All of these instruments are in great shape and come equipped with hard shell cases.
    I think he’s asking $950 each.
    I would suggest looking at all of them, if possible.

If you are looking for volume and rich tone, consider a Vega cylinder back, made from about 1915 to 1928 more or less. They are not good for bluegrass because they have too much sustain for chop chords, but excellent for folk or classical. As far as pure honey tone, probably nothing compares to Lyon and Healy.

Gibson has built some mighty fine mandolins as well as some mighty fine guitars.
    Martin has built some mighty fine guitars.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb