Thread: Dekavalas 4 course Greek bouzouki

Default Dekavalas 4 course Greek bouzouki

Passing the time here in Lockdown Scotland, and I had recently restrung one of my bouzoukis, one I got a few years ago from the fine fellow, ace bouzoukiist and great friend Pete Hill of Exeter, England. The neck had begun to pull a wee bit recently, the action and tuning being affected, so I lightened the gauges of the strings quite a bit, left it to settle down, which it did, thankfully, and it's playing and sounding well again. Alec Finn, our dear departed bouzouki maestro amigo, put me onto Dekavalas in Thessaloniki, decades ago, where I went for my first trichordo many years ago. And Pete found this one in Crete I think. I have four bouzoukis, three still playable, including the trichordo which I kept for Alec here in Edinburgh for his many lively forays into Scottish music and drams!

I have it capo'ed to the third fret, sort of F, and tune it like an octave mandolin, with, in this case octave tuning on the D and G courses. I like the extra shimmer that gives. It's capo'ed there for fun and ease on this occasion, and I love the tone there. I do play it open though, great for the tunes in the Highland bagpipe scale.

Hope it might be of interest!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Dekavalas 4 course Greek bouzouki

no capo

Taran Guitars "Springwell" mandolin

4. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

Jacob 

Default Re: Dekavalas 4 course Greek bouzouki

What a great set of videos, Kevin. You are using the lockdown very sensibly!
    Great sound from that bouzouki and it really is a grand instrument for the pipe marches.
    Your Taran mando is sounding great too. Thanks for posting this feast of music.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

6. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post: