Thread: D'Addario Monel sets

Default D'Addario Monel sets

Does anyone know if the unwrapped strings are the same strings as the EJ series? I think the Monel only refers to the wrapped strings. The reason I'm asking is while I like the Monel strings so far, I'm missing the 11.5 and 16 sizes for the E and A courses I typically get with the custom medium set.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: D'Addario Monel sets

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    Does anyone know if the unwrapped strings are the same strings as the EJ series? I think the Monel only refers to the wrapped strings. The reason I'm asking is while I like the Monel strings so far, I'm missing the 11.5 and 16 sizes for the E and A courses I typically get with the custom medium set.
    You might consider the Curt Mangan set where those gauges are available:

https://www.curtmangan.com/monel-mandolin-11-5-41/
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2011 Passernig F5
    2018 Vessel TM5

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    I tend to agree and think the Monel material is only used on the wrapped strings.

The 11.5 and 16 would be great to have on the Daddario Monel sets. I have been using Daddario Monels(not the Sam B. gauges) for a good while now.

As has been mentioned Curt Mangan does offer a Monel set in the custom medium gauges.

I am currently playing the Mangans. They are very nice strings. I will continue to use them until Daddario offers a set with the heavier plains.

I need to try the Mangans. I’ve been using the D’Addario Nickel Bronze custom medium set with the heavier treble strings. Close enough to monel for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I need to try the Mangans. I’ve been using the D’Addario Nickel Bronze custom medium set with the heavier treble strings. Close enough to monel for me.
    The Nickel Bronze were really good on the Monteleone, I did not care for them on the Gilchrist. The Monels, I really like, but I'd like a little more pop on the A and E on the model 5. The top on that instrument really responds to the heavier treble strings.

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

I like those too.
    We few, we happy few.

Curt Mangan Monel's are very good to my ears !
    My two favorite pastimes are drinking wine and playing the mandolin but most of my friends would rather hear me drink wine! Adapted from quote by Mark Twain------supposedly !

Blog Entries

Monels are wonderful on my MT and the D’Addario’s are excellent. I have wanted to try the Mangan’s for a while! Dan
    Dan Brooks

Currently have the Mangan Monel custom mediums on my Derrington F5. My favorite strings on that Mando.
    Those strings and a full-contact bridge are a good combo on it.

For me, Mangan and D'Addario Monel strings have not only a preferred tone but a very nice feel as well. Could be both a tactile and chemistry thing,IDK.

The fact that they are not coated and last a long time is just gravy.