Thread: ETSU Mandolin Orchestra - Remote recording

Default ETSU Mandolin Orchestra - Remote recording

I know there is a small audience for this kind of ensemble, but I figured I might find it here !

Here's a recording that my students and I made as part of our Mandolin Orchestra course at East Tennessee State University's program in Bluegrass, Old Time, and Country Music Studies. It ain't bluegrass, but is part of our exploration of the history of mandolin family ensembles, and of the global phenomenon of the string band. Since ETSU is encouraging us all to stay healthy at hom, I put this video together using recordings sent in by the students from their various homeplaces.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to blidgood For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: ETSU Mandolin Orchestra - Remote recording

Nice playing, good writing. Can you say more about the tune?

I don't think the audience for this music is so limited. I think these kinds of ideas -- digging deeper into the historical roots of the American mandolin, and focusing on ensemble playing skills -- are the kind that will attract a wider audience, and help students build the skills they'll need to assimilate into the professional music world. Great work!
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to August Watters For This Useful Post:

Very nicely done. The Louisville Mandolin Orchestra occasionally throws in a tango. Voicing of a mando orchestra suits a tango, to a 'T'.

August - I found this arrangement on IMSLP - https://imslp.org/wiki/Tangos_argent...ans-J%C3%B6rg)
    I comb through that site a lot , since it is free and open. If we had enjoyed more time to work in person this semester, we would have dug in on some 17th century English polyphony and a slate of other material pulled mostly from IMSLP. I entirely agree with you about the value of this kind of work. Cross-training helps with taste, timing, creativity, and versatility. I am all about sustainable and resilient musicianship!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blidgood For This Useful Post: