Thread: Octave Mandolin suggestions please

Default Octave Mandolin suggestions please

New guy here , but old guy. I have been playing guitar, banjo, steel guitar for over 50 years but just got interested in mandolin. I am interested in getting an octave mandolin and find both Gold Tone and Eastman at about the same price. Anyone have experience with both and which one would they recommend. I am leaning towards the Eastman as I have owned a few Eastman archtops and thought they were great guitars for the money. Thanks in advance for any info/recommendations.

Default Re: Octave Mandolin suggestions please

In general, the Eastmans have a little better rep on the forum, it seems. Arched top F holes (Eastman) vs flat top oval hole (GT), iirc, should factor in as well. I prefer the arch top f hole focus personally, but there are many that I’m sure will disagree with me. My current OM is a 20 inch scale Weber Bitteroot, which is another level in pricing, but more similar in construction to the Eastman. I’ve owned an Eastman 315 mando and still own a GT “Cripple Creek” open back entry level banjo. I was more impressed with the quality of the 315, which I bought as a beater but sold in a downsize move last year. I rarely play banjo (my wife, in general, finds a banjo grating, so it doesn’t get a lot of play), so the GT serves the purpose of being available for me when the fancy strikes, but if I ever really get into it, I’ll move up that food chain quickly.

That said, GT does produce some nice instruments, don’t mean to knock them at all. Trinity College may be another brand to consider, more similar to the GT than the Eastman. OM is fun, but I’m more proficient on mandolin and guitar, and I sometimes wonder why I don’t just play one of those. But, there are times when that OM tone is just right, and just different enough to work (cuz there are plenty of guitar pickers out there)...

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by larryl View Post
    I am interested in getting an octave mandolin and find both Gold Tone and Eastman at about the same price. Anyone have experience with both and which one would they recommend. I am leaning towards the Eastman as I have owned a few Eastman archtops and thought they were great guitars for the money.
    The Eastman seems to get stronger reviews than the Gold Tone. The only alternative that I’d introduce is the Pono flattop which can occasionally be found used in roughly the same range (although prices appear to have been climbing lately).

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/153050#153050
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

4. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Eddie Blevins in Blountville, TN, made an f-style OM for me and it's a knockout. The downside is that it might be a little more expensive than a Gold Tone or Eastman but, on the upside, I think it's decidedly better. He kept me apprised of the whole process while he was building it. You might consider one that's built to your specs.

I don't regret for a moment buying mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	octave3.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	185072
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

You might want to spend some time in the Cittern, Bouzouki, Octave & Mandola forum where the "big kids" hang out. Lots of discussion of different OM's down there.

I have played the Eastman, and was impressed. I have not played the Gold Tone octave mandolin, but like CES above, have purchased and played several Gold Tone instruments, and found them uniformly good value for the price. I would also throw the Trinity College octave mandolin into your mix; many Cafe members have expressed satisfaction with TC instruments.

As you're aware, the two OM's you're considering differ significantly. Carved-top, f-hole instruments in general have a stronger "attack," less sustain, and their sound cuts through more than that of flat-top, oval-hole instruments. The flat-tops sustain -- "ring" -- longer, have what's often called a "sweeter" sound. Your acoustic preferences, and the kind of music you plan to play, may influence your choice.

In your shoes, I'd buy the Eastman, but I'm not in your shoes. Ideally, you'd find a dealer that carries both, and play them against each other. That's not an easy task, given the fact that OM's considered a "niche" instrument; you aren't likely to find one at your local Guitar Center. You can cruise YouTube and listen...or, a suggestion: apparently Elderly Instruments stocks Eastman, Gold Tone, and Trinity College. Give them a call, talk to them -- they'll even play stock instruments over the phone to you, so you can get some idea.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I own an Eastman octave mandolin. I find the scale length to be a bit long for my hands but otherwise I like it. My suggestion would be to play one or two before you buy. These are not just larger mandolins. You will be adapting your playing style more than you expect.

I would try and get a maximum of 20" scale length. Its just easier to play normal mandolin tunes.

Good luck with whatever octave you decide on.
    I have a 20 1/2 inch scale Ashbury octave 32E I think it’s called. I love it.
    That’s definitely the length limit for me with the style I want to play at the moment (mandolin style).
    An important point for me is the string tension and how much ‘bounce’ there is for the pick off the strings. I like firm strings which help me to pick cleaner and faster.
    My dream would be a big short scale length mandola but that is tuned like a mandolin, GDAE, and for the richer deep tones that I’m looking for (and price) it would an A style.

Very volatile situation now though, will Amazon even come back online to sell ‘luxury’ musical instruments here in Europe?

I have an Eastman octave mandolin I like the sound of it. I get a variety of sounds using different picks. The tuners could be a little better.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to write on this subject. I agree, the best thing is for me is to play each in person, side by side, but as stated, not an easy thing to pull off, especially at this time. Maybe I will cool my jets for a few months and see what happens as far as travel is concerned...typically in the summer I go to Chicago and Madison, Wi. area...in the fall I attend the Walnut Valley Festival, and then go to Arizona for a couple of months. By that time, hopefully, I will get a chance to find some of these brands and play them in person. I do appreciate everyones time. I currently own a Kentucky mandolin and am not that good of a player, so I have time to practice in these coming months and be better prepared to make an educated decision. Thanks !!!

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Eddie Blevins in Blountville, TN, made an f-style OM for me and it's a knockout. The downside is that it might be a little more expensive than a Gold Tone or Eastman but, on the upside, I think it's decidedly better. He kept me apprised of the whole process while he was building it. You might consider one that's built to your specs.

I don't regret for a moment buying mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	octave3.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	185072
    I went to his website...his work is beautiful !!! Just amazing to me that someone can build an instrument like that ! alas, they are out of my price range...I am glad for you that you got one of those, and I am sure you do love it...thanks for posting that...I enjoyed his website a lot !!

I thought of another question. since these are larger instruments than the regular mandolin, do you consider them more difficult to push down the strings than say a well set up archtop guitar ? Thats rather vague, I realize, and somewhat subjective...flat picker guitar players like high action for volume,,,I dont..I like it as low as it can go without buzzing. I dont have arthritis in my hands, and at 73 I consider myself lucky, but I do find my Kentucky mandolin rather hard to play but I am thinking that is a result of (a) a lower priced instrument and (b) the small nature of the instrument, since I have nothing else to compare it to mandolin wise. Thanks in advance for any help you can give this old man !

Quote Originally Posted by larryl View Post
    I thought of another question. since these are larger instruments than the regular mandolin, do you consider them more difficult to push down the strings than say a well set up archtop guitar ? Thats rather vague, I realize, and somewhat subjective...flat picker guitar players like high action for volume,,,I dont..I like it as low as it can go without buzzing. I dont have arthritis in my hands, and at 73 I consider myself lucky, but I do find my Kentucky mandolin rather hard to play but I am thinking that is a result of (a) a lower priced instrument and (b) the small nature of the instrument, since I have nothing else to compare it to mandolin wise. Thanks in advance for any help you can give this old man !
    It does take more finger strength to fret strings on mandolin, but it shouldn't be too much more. It could be that your mandolin needs a better setup.
    On my Pono octave mandolin, it doesn't seem to me that it is any harder than playing 12 string guitar, for example. Again, it is also a matter of how it is setup. I think Kilin Reece of Pono does an amazing job with setup, on beautiful instruments that he designed. If you're interested in a flat-top octave mandolin, you can't go wrong with a Pono. You can find them used for less than $1000 if you're patient.

In answer to "are they harder to fret?", depends. Double courses of strings do offer more resistance to your fingers, but quite a bit depends on the string gauges. You can set up the instrument with lower action, to make it easier to fret, and you can work out a set of lighter gauge strings, which would have the same effect. One issue you may have to deal with, is that there isn't anywhere near as wide a range of string gauges for octave mandolins, as there is for guitars -- where you can go from "silk & steel extra light" to real "cables." Most string companies seem to offer just one gauge of octave mandolin strings, but there are ways to construct custom sets by buying individual strings, converting guitar strings to mandolin strings by removing the "ball" from inside the end loop, etc.

A properly set up instrument shouldn't be hard to fret (don't tell me about being old, I'm 76 and still play OM frequently!). If your mandolin's hard to fret, see if you can get it set up with lower action, or try a lighter gauge of strings. Neck shape is another variable, and here I can't advise you as to Eastman vs. Gold Tone neck profiles. You may have to find an example of each and see how it feels to your hands.

Good luck!
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Have you considered Pono's line of guitar-bodied octaves? I've got a mahogany bodied one (a MND-20) that is terrific. I'm sure it's a different animal than either of the ones you're looking at, but I really enjoy playing it. I don't pick it up enough.

I know it's not responsive to your question, but I wanted to put in a plug for them given how much I like mine.

*edit* came back and added some additional content. I think the this video captures the tone pretty well. The second one he plays is what I've got. He's got it in an alternate tuning, but I play it GDAE. It's a 23-inch scale length, and I agree with the comment that a shorter scale length would have been a little bit easier entry point on these. I think the tone probably trends towards a "guitarish" sound, but that might just be my playing. It's not a traditionalist's instrument for Celtic or bluegrass, but then again what octave is?

Last edited by Joe Dodson; Apr-23-2020 at 9:47am. Reason: I'm never satisfied

Octave mandolins are fun and versatile.

Gold Tone, Eastman, and Pono are all decent. What do you want to do with your octave?

The Eastman with carved top, short scale and floating bridge will be most like a big mandolin. Probably best for picking melodies.

The Gold Tone 800+ with arched top, oval hole, floating bridge and longer scale will be more resonant and sort of a middle choice between guitar and mando. I do remember someone saying 800+ was an improvement over 800 so may want to research that.

The Pono is (imo) a step in quality and price. Flat top, Pin bridge, Oval hole brings you closer to a guitar sound. You also have a choice of scale length. Probably best choice for singing along.

That said, any of em will work for whatever. Have fun!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I haven’t yet played a Pono OM, but do own a tenor Uke by them that’s an exceptionally well made and good sounding instrument, especially considering the $399 price point.

Trinity College OM just popped up in classifieds for $550
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/153862#153862

Well I suppose the topic can be closed now. Just today I purchased an Eastman Octave Mandolin, used. It will arrive Monday and I am excited to get it and give it a try. Thanks to all who have responded and the information that you supplied was very helpful to me. I always tell people that when they ask me for my opinion, what they are really doing is asking for my approval of their decision,,,I say that in a kind way, not ridiculing at all...I am guilty of the same. But this has been a very interesting topic for me to read thru, and I feel like I learned a lot. For over 55 years I have spent at least 2 to 3 hours a day playing something...guitar, steel guitar, pedal steel guitar, banjo (at one time hammered dulcimer and accordion), so I do enjoy learning and working on some sort of music..., but master of none !!

Like me, you opt for versatility over virtuosity.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

I think you'll enjoy it coming from a guitar-ish background like myself. I enjoy mine quite a bit though have some new tuners to install this weekend. Iffy tuners make me crazy and that's really the antithesis of playing in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Like me, you opt for versatility over virtuosity.
    Allen, I like that...I will use that line !

25. The following members say thank you to larryl for this post:

My Eastman Octave Mandolin arrived yesterday and I am very pleased with it...the tone is very pleasing, the playability of the instrument is very nice...it was used but in great condition. I can tell I am going to play this instrument a lot ! Thanks again for all of your comments and suggestions !

Congratulations! Enjoy!
    Chuck