Thread: Humidifying problems

Default Humidifying problems

Hi folks! I've been having trouble humidifying my recently purchased mandolin and haven't found the relevant information so I thought I'd approach wiser people about it.

I keep a violin sized worm humidifier in my f-hole (and the mandolin in an instrument case) but so far it has failed to increase the relative humidity of the case at all even though I re-soak it daily. How can I fix the problem? Should I maybe get a larger humidifier or put another violin sized one in the case or could this cause too much humidity? Or does the humidifying effect happen slowly, perhaps over a week or more, and I should be just more patient?

I noticed that my mandolin's G strings make a buzzing sound when playing the open strings or first couple of frets and I think it may be because of the dry air. I'm wondering if this problem goes away when my instrument is again properly humidified or do I have to do some setting up. If you know of any site where they give information on how to pin point the problem in the set up (is it the truss rod, bridge etc.) I'd greatly appreciate it.

Default Re: Humidifying problems

First of all is the gauge you are using to measure humidity accurate? The buzzing could be truss rod, could be a high fret around the 4th fret area depending on how far up the neck it buzzes. Open buzzing could be the nut. It's hard to diagnose without having it in hand. Even pic's make it hard. If you have something that only spans 3 frets and if quite flat and straight you could set it on the first 3 frets and see if it rocks, you then move to frets 2-4, and keep going to see if you have a high fret. If you fret at the first fret and the 12th fret and look in the area of the 7th fret is there space above the 7th fret or is the string touching. I like to use the G string it's easier to see. If it is flat and you have a straight edge, or a ruler of good quality, lay it on the fingerboard from the first fret to at least the 12-15th fret. Is it touching all the frets. Use a light to see well between the ruler and the frets.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Smile canary?

fingerboard leveling was part of my 2 re frets.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I live in a dry environment, to kick up the humidity , I use a Dampit in the F hole, and a pill bottle, I drilled 1/4" holes all over it, and insert a rolled up moist sponge into it, and place it in my small case compartment under the neck, and in the case my mando goes.
    Last edited by J Mangio; Apr-19-2020 at 5:22pm.

What case do you have? It may, in essence, not be able to hold in water vapor. Unless you have a case with a good tight metal seal all around you're humidifying the room the case is in as the water is simply moving from an area of high to low concentration - you can't fight the basic laws of thermodynamics.

I hang all my instruments on the wall in a room I maintain around 44 % relative humidity.

I found that the violin sized tube-type humidifier was not big enough to humidify a mandolin. I have had more success with a guitar humidifier, which is basically a sponge in a perforated plastic holder. It’s meant to fit between the strings in the soundhole of a guitar, but I leave it in the mandolin case next to the body of the mandolin (not in the accessory compartment). I agree that case humidifiers work best in cases that have a tight seal, like flight cases, but these guitar ones have also worked for me in regular plywood mandolin cases (with covers). I soak the sponge weekly and use distilled water so that the sponge doesn’t calcify with minerals.

I believe, and somebody can correct me, that the humidifiers that fit in the F holes, humidify from within the instrument. The humidity in the case is not that important, as the instrument is still getting moisture. I don't think you want to over do it by filling the humidifier daily. That could cause other problems. I only fill mine once a week. I use both Dampits- that fit in the holes, and home made case humidifiers where dampits won't work. So far so good.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

My name is Chuck, and I have a bit of a problem with instrument acquisition syndrome. As a result, I eventually went to whole house humification, and it’s really simplified things. Even after down sizing recently, there’s no way I’d keep up with individual case humidifiers during winter months.

If that’s not a feasible option for you, maybe consider getting a room humidifier instead. As far as set up goes, check out frets.com, Frank Ford’s site, or message Rob Meldrum for his set up guide, which he’ll send you for only a shout out on the forums. Good luck!
    Chuck

D'Addario's humidification system works well. The gel packs absorb water if the case gets too humid and release humidity if it's too dry. NFI.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Not at all scientific but, before the whole-house humidifier, I'd put the cases of lesser-used instruments into plastic garbage bags, along with the humidifier, confident that the moisture would stay trapped for quite some time. For a while, I even found a deal on those clear plastic, rectangular, gel-bead-filled, cigar-sized humidifiers intended for, yep, cigars!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Thanks a lot for all the information everyone! I just found out that the hydrometer I'm using has received brutal reviews from users so the first thing I'll do is replace it with a more reliable one. If I'm not getting better humidity numbers that way I'll be taking the advice you've given. That D'Addario humidification system sounds especially good (if it's not too good to be true) assuming it fits in a mandolin case.

I'm hoping my case is capable of sealing in humidity. It's this one and looks pretty standard to my untrained eyes at least:
    https://www.musicworks.co.nz/mandoli...mandolin-case/

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Knoppa View Post
    I'm hoping my case is capable of sealing in humidity.
    Pretty sure that would need to be something like solid fiberglass or molded plastic construction, with an O-ring seal around the closure; those normally costs huge bucks. Just IMHO, if it would hold out driving rain for twenty minutes or so, it might hold in humidification for a month or two. Thus, my prior comment about plastic garbage bags.

BTW, affordable hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate in "scientific" terms, but they can be close enough for musician needs as long as you're looking for a general ballpark. (There is a calibration procedure involving, IFIRC, measured amounts of water & salt inside a sealed container, but I haven't seen it in some time.)
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

From what I have read the water and salt will allow you to set your humidifier at 75%, so it may be accurate there, but not down where we need it to be accurate. Decent ones can be had for not too much $$. A little research and a couple of bucks will give you more accurate readings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    From what I have read the water and salt will allow you to set your humidifier at 75%, so it may be accurate there, but not down where we need it to be accurate. Decent ones can be had for not too much $$. A little research and a couple of bucks will give you more accurate readings.
    You can get a 75% and a 32% test kit by Boveda from Amazon for about $18 or so. If you test at 75% and adjust, then test and adjust at 32%, you would probably get more accuracy.

Or, get or make a sling psychrometer and adjust to humidity levels in your environment. I made a psychrometer for less than $10, and when I later bought a "professional" one used, I learned that my homemade one was pretty darn close. Of course, then you have to test the new standard against something, and on and on.

I don't think +/- a few %ages of RH is going to make or break your instruments. It's extremes and rapid changes that seem to cause the most problems.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

15. The following members say thank you to TheMandoKit for this post:

pops1