Thread: Saddle and bridge

Default Saddle and bridge

I recently bought a second hand electric mandolin. I'm not familiar with the make "Antoria" it plays ok up to the 5 fret or so. Its an a style and I've no idea on age but will need to get it set up. The bridge looks good but the saddle curves like a banana. This might sound daft but can someone confirm if a saddle on any mandolin should ever be curved.
    Many thanks

Tony

Default Re: Saddle and bridge

The saddle should not droop in the center if that is what you're experiencing.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Jim yeah its drooping in middle I'm guessing it warped?

Blog Entries

Droopy saddle is not an uncommon problem but it IS a problem. It should be replaced. But you probably will not be able to find a replacement saddle without buying the bridge that it mates with. If you are lucky the new saddle will fit the old bridge. If not you will have to (or very much should) fit the new bridge to the top of your mandolin. See Rob Meldrum's ebook on setup to find out how to fit a bridge properly and also how to cut the slots in the saddle.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post: